SiouxSports.com Forum

UND versus NDSU - 1st DIV I Conference Game 2020 Rona moved to 2021 @ Manure Pit - RIVALRY?

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

3 hours ago, Bison06 said:

That said, I’ve said since he was hired that his demeanor and language is much more that of a coordinator than a head coach. He seems to make decisions based on emotion rather than logic and is too forthcoming with information in the media.

Except for on depth charts and injury reports, correct?

2 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I mean...that was their first game in 10 months and CAU's 3rd or 4th game of the season. 

Not unexpected to be a bit rusty, plus even NDSU isn't going to blow everyone out. 

They were probably recovering from their slobberknocker against Missouri State the week before where they eked out a 27-20 win where they needed two 4th quarter TD's to pull it off.

28 minutes ago, FightingSioux87 said:

What's funny to me is that he has to even say that NDSU has moved on from UND, like we NEED NDSU in order to survive the FCS ourselves. :silly: NDSU bolted to a higher division, because UND had started to gain momentum in the rivalry and was afraid of that and wanted to separate themselves from UND. To say NDSU and their fans have moved on and don't/won't see UND as a rivalry anymore, due to the FCS championship and FBS games, is laughable. Of course NDSU and their vans don't/won't want to see UND as a rival. We will always be one of their biggest threats to success. Sooner of later UND will catch up to them and then they will want to try bolt to the MWC to separate themselves from UND once again.

To clarify...I am reacting to McFeely's article. I am not saying no NDSU fans still see this game as a rivalry game.

MvFeely is a paid troll....although he would troll for free.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I don’t really care if su fans consider us their rival. 

This game is a conference game and to stay or get in the driver's seat.  If UND wins 5-0.  If NDSU looses 3-2 and one game from staying home.  Stay home no Frisco, TX.  Maybe not a rivalry but something to think about and remember.

54 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

This game is a conference game and to stay or get in the driver's seat.  If UND wins 5-0.  If NDSU looses 3-2 and one game from staying home.  Stay home no Frisco, TX.  Maybe not a rivalry but something to think about and remember.

You said it. In the context of one season’s playoffs and positioning, this game is more important for NDSU to win than for UND.

however, In the context of what it means to the psyche of a whole university and its community, this game is huge for UND, even if it doesn’t cost them anything for the postseason. 

3 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Yes

I looked into that a few weeks back, since all you heard about was how young NDSU was. They do have a small Senior Class (9) vs UND’s (15), but they have a monster Junior Class (24) compared to UND’s average sized (16). It’s very comparable between the two schools. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

You said it. In the context of one season’s playoffs and positioning, this game is more important for NDSU to win than for UND.

however, In the context of what it means to the psyche of a whole university and its community, this game is huge for UND, even if it doesn’t cost them anything for the postseason. 

I'd disagree. It probably means more to UND. Win or lose...NDSU has around 18K butts in seats for the fall season and people ready to get back to tailgating and all that. NDSU fans can write off the spring season mentally. If you asked any NDSU football fan "would you prefer to lose to UND this week or this fall?" We know everyone's answer...this week.

UND wins, they sorta can get the needle moving up north though. If they lose, its just another reminder that they are the "other" school in ND with a football team. 

I'm curious to see how the game goes. I haven't watched much UND but they've beaten SDSU which is usually a sorta benchmark game. Beat USD who can be pretty solid. And took SIU behind the woodshed who took NDSU behind the woodshed.

Based off of the resumes, if I was a betting man I'd take UND for a few hundred bucks, but I'm not a sketchy Portuguese in Providence like @MafiaMan or a greasy Eye-Tye on Long Island so I'll stay out of it.

9 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I'd disagree. It probably means more to UND. Win or lose...NDSU has around 18K butts in seats for the fall season and people ready to get back to tailgating and all that. NDSU fans can write off the spring season mentally. If you asked any NDSU football fan "would you prefer to lose to UND this week or this fall?" We know everyone's answer...this week.

UND wins, they sorta can get the needle moving up north though. If they lose, its just another reminder that they are the "other" school in ND with a football team. 

I'm curious to see how the game goes. I haven't watched much UND but they've beaten SDSU which is usually a sorta benchmark game. Beat USD who can be pretty solid. And took SIU behind the woodshed who took NDSU behind the woodshed.

Based off of the resumes, if I was a betting man I'd take UND for a few hundred bucks, but I'm not a sketchy Portuguese in Providence like @MafiaMan or a greasy Eye-Tye on Long Island so I'll stay out of it.

You basically just said the same thing I did, so I'm not sure that you really do disagree.  In the context of this season, NDSU has more to play for.  In the context of a whole program/university/community, UND has WAY more to play for.

10 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I don't get this??? Why would anyone want to lose a game at any time. NDSU is gonna have the same roster in the fall, plus a couple transfers and freshman then they do this spring just like any FCS program in the country.

Not sure how many subscribe to The Athletic here, but a really good writeup from a really good national publisher. 

Spoiler Alert: Score prediction is 34-13 UND. That's probably a dream scenario for me. I think it will be much much closer. 

https://theathletic.com/2460537/2021/03/18/fcs-preview-and-best-bets-north-dakota-state-vs-north-dakota-breakdown-a-sam-houston-state-blowout-and-more/

15 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

I don't get this??? Why would anyone want to lose a game at any time. NDSU is gonna have the same roster in the fall, plus a couple transfers and freshman then they do this spring just like any FCS program in the country.

Maybe because Bison fans have finally come to the realization that they are going to lose to UND eventually....... all good things come to an end

Teeder's 7 keys to a happy Saturday

1. Control the lines on both sides -- hope for usual second half surge.

2. Establish the run ... probably w/ Skokna as they'll key on Weah (bonus if it's there for Otis, too)

3. Play action and quick hitters/screens to keep front 7 honest.

4. Need to block CBs way better on the edges.

5. Play with confidence, presence and intelligence -- not too high, not too low.

6. No bone-head drive killing penalties (false starts, chop blocks, illegal procedures, too many men, etc.)

7. Special teams excellence on offense and defense.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Yes, the spring season doesn’t matter excuse.  I’ve heard that one too.  Fargo media and fans saying this season should have an asterisk.  Lol

1) our team is young

2) No one cares about spring football

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/6940457-McFeely-blog-Why-a-Bison-win-against-UND-would-be-bad-for-FCS

image.png.d560d23539ee9a95a136885637ab7df9.png

McFeely is incapable of stating that UND is the better team without qualifying it somehow. He has continually hammered the excuses related to losing players early, transfers, etc. Let's make sure we don't let that temper our celebrating after a win on Saturday.

• Upvote 3