SiouxSports.com Forum

UND versus NDSU - 1st DIV I Conference Game 2020 Rona moved to 2021 @ Manure Pit - RIVALRY?

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I don’t think so. We don’t have 2012’s wr group that could separate from any DB at multiple levels. If it’s obvious we need to pass I think we’ll struggle.

In that case, are you expecting NDSU to sell out to stop the run?

50 minutes ago, Dustin said:

In that case, are you expecting NDSU to sell out to stop the run?

I don’t think that’s wise. That puts a ton of stress on the DBs and the right play calls can murder an over committed front 7. Getting pressure with 4 is and always will be the key for NDSUs and any other defense for that matter.

North Dakota lawmakers mull reviving Nickel Trophy for NDSU-UND football rivalry

The Nickel Trophy is currently on display at the North Dakota Heritage Center in Bismarck, but lawmakers are discussing bringing back the tradition to NDSU-UND football games.
Written By: Michelle Griffith | 7:20 am, Mar. 16, 2021

University of North Dakota football players grab the Nickel Trophy after beating North Dakota State University 28-21 in overtime in a 2003 game. Forum News Service file photo

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/6936907-North-Dakota-lawmakers-mull-reviving-Nickel-Trophy-for-NDSU-UND-football-rivalry

33 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I don’t think that’s wise. That puts a ton of stress on the DBs and the right play calls can murder an over committed front 7. Getting pressure with 4 is and always will be the key for NDSUs and any other defense for that matter.

Maag would have himself a game with no help over the top from a safety. He's got 4-5" over their corners.
Belquist would be one missed tackle away from taking it to the house.
And what if Brockstar suits up?

They'll play their traditional defense and probably be fine. Will be a matter of whether UND can wear them down like they have done to opponents the first half of the season.

18 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

It appears NDSU also has parties at some place called JJ Madisons.  UND's website doesn't have the same sort of deal it appears.  I'm sure if you show up to an NDSU one there will be some other UND folks as well.  You might get peed on if one if the bigger girls can't find a bathroom but other than that you should be fine amongst the Bison fans.  

https://undalumni.org/WatchParty

When I lived in the Sioux Falls area we had mixed watch parties every year and they were a lot of fun. When you are out of ND you quickly realize you have more in common with rival fans than differences. 

13 minutes ago, TBR said:

When I lived in the Sioux Falls area we had mixed watch parties every year and they were a lot of fun. When you are out of ND you quickly realize you have more in common with rival fans than differences. 

That's great.
I have a lot of friends and relatives that went to NDSU, all is good - except at an actual game (FB,BB,VB, etc). Game Over, game is over.
Now these message boards / social media have a few extra ingredients in the pot of stew.

21 minutes ago, TBR said:

UND joined a NDSU watch party in Ft Collins in 2019 that was pretty fun and welcoming by the NDSU regulars. They even let us into their group photo. Best part was there was no bandwagoners there! 

40 minutes ago, TBR said:

My sister used to host the watch parties for NDSU in DC and said they usually got together with the SDSU/USD people for the games. Said it made it more fun. Seems to be a similar experience you've had.

5 minutes ago, homer said:

Love the excuses of the Bison being young and UND suddenly this experienced team.  

McFeely is an idiot

I agree.  Someone explain to me why the Bison are so young?  I can only think of one reason.  Far too many recruiting misses.  Trey Lance, Dillun Radunz they lost.  Everyone else could be playing.   In September the team will only be 5 months older.  

12 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I agree.  Someone explain to me why the Bison are so young?  I can only think of one reason.  Far too many recruiting misses.  Trey Lance, Dillun Radunz they lost.  Everyone else could be playing.   In September the team will only be 5 months older.  

The perception that NDSU is young/inexperienced I think is coming from the QB position. Trey leaving put NDSU in a tough spot, they were expecting to have him starting the next couple of seasons. If Trey is there and Sproles(from a recruiting cycle, both were expected to be there this year)would be there I’m not sure the perception of inexperience would be there.

edit: add in the Seth Wilson injury 

Stuff happens, not saying ndsu is some sort of victim here, I just wouldn’t put it on recruiting misses 

9 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I dont like the "young" thing either but NDSU does have a couple unique challenges for an FCS team. 

So they would have been a bit young this year anyway had it been a fall season. But the offensive line would have had an absolute unit and they'd have had the best QB in FCS to assist with growing pains.  

It looks obvious now that even had they played in the fall, they were going to take a step back. Lance would have papered over the cracks quite a bit though. 

I'm sure plenty of other teams, maybe every team, lost some key guys too. But losing Lance and Radunz really exacerbated NDSU's already less than ideal situation.

12 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Why is it the media and fans to the south spend most of their time reminding everyone this rivalry isn’t that big. If the game isn’t important to them you  shouldn’t have to keep telling everyone that isn’t important. 

Ask this again
~ 5:30 on Saturday.

Jaw Drop GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

37 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I dont like the "young" thing either but NDSU does have a couple unique challenges for an FCS team. 

So they would have been a bit young this year anyway had it been a fall season. But the offensive line would have had an absolute unit and they'd have had the best QB in FCS to assist with growing pains.  

It looks obvious now that even had they played in the fall, they were going to take a step back. Lance would have papered over the cracks quite a bit though. 

I'm sure plenty of other teams, maybe every team, lost some key guys too. But losing Lance and Radunz really exacerbated NDSU's already less than ideal situation.

I may not be accurate on this but even with the loss of their LT, the OL to start the spring season was made up of two seniors, two juniors and a sophomore.   Not young by any means.  

The excuses from Fargo fans and media before this game are something else.  I still have them as the favorites but can see the table being set by their program should they lose.  

Why are most here confusing a conversation about reality with people making excuses? Has NDSU looked as good as this year as it has in years past? Clearly no, so people are describing why that may be. 

When a top 10 pick moves on early, you almost certainly are going to be hamstrung a bit at that position. When you graduate your top 2 running backs and the guy you were counting on to take the torch goes down for the year, you are going to have to lean on some inexperienced guys. I’m not sure whats happening with Sproles, but he was going to be a big part of the offense this year, #1/#2 receiver. These aren’t excuses, these are reality. 

If Maag and Schuster and Weah weren’t playing for UND would you guys be 4-0?

"I know that they are a really good football team that's strong in every area. It's going to be a great challenge, but also a great opportunity for us," Schuster said.
https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/6936456-McFeely-UND-led-by-unlikely-quarterback-star-in-freshman-Schuster

19 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I said it before and I’ll say it again:  the whole FCS was handed a gift when the fall season was postponed and Trey Lance bolted. Leveled the playing field immediately. 

Agreed.  In a normal situation, I fully believe that Trey would have stayed for 3 years (get his degree and have a season to play with his brother).