SiouxSports.com Forum

UND versus NDSU - 1st DIV I Conference Game 2020 Rona moved to 2021 @ Manure Pit - RIVALRY?

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

25 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Wentz didn’t start until he was a junior ...

Unless my recollections are shot (very possible, and too lazy to look at records)... 

- Wentz played for an injured Jensen.
- Stick played for an injured Wentz. 

Pipeline.

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Unless my recollections are shot (very possible, and too lazy to look at records)... 

- Wentz played for an injured Jensen.
- Stick played for an injured Wentz. 

Pipeline.

But not as a sophomore, that’s what you’re missing. Wentz went down his senior year and I don’t recall when Jensen got hurt or if he did even.

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

But not as a sophomore, that’s what you’re missing. 

I can accept that.

I'm used to (as hockey fan) expecting to lose top end talent as sophomores and expect the team to plan accordingly. 

In fairness, one thing that hurt UND Hockey in recent years was Tyson Jost bailing after a freshman season. (It blipped the pipeline and it hurt his development.)

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

I can accept that.

I'm used to (as hockey fan) expecting to lose top end talent as sophomores and expect the team to plan accordingly. 

In fairness, one thing that hurt UND Hockey in recent years was Tyson Jost bailing after a freshman season. (It blipped the pipeline and it hurt his development.)

That had been Lucia's/Gopher hockey issue for a long time until Motzko.  Maybe NDSU has pulled a Gophers Football and stopped offering as much local talent as they should?  Have the transfers been local guys, or guys from out of the region?

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

@Bison06 Is NDSU's offensive line as good as the teams' of the previous decade? 

They don’t appear to be to my eye, not quite the push we’ve gotten in the run game. In pass protection it’s hard to say for sure because we’ve had such mobile QB’s up until this year to make up for any weaknesses across the o line in pass coverage.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Stauss goes down, Jensen comes off the sideline (not next year, the sideline).
Jensen goes down, Wentz comes off sideline.
Wentz goes down, Stick comes off sideline.
Stick goes down, Lance comes off sideline.

If any of those guys had bolted (save for Lance) it really was "next man up"; the early departure plan was already brewed in. 

But where's the guy to come off the sideline for Lance? 

NDSU has had a marvelous QB plan/pipeline for a decade, but there's a hole after Lance (unless it's VT guy this fall and it may well be). 

What changed? 

Somebody broke from the NDSU QB plan. 

Remember when there was actually a QB battle for the starting job before the 2019 Season for NDSU between Zeb and Trey?!!  Wow.  That almost seams laughable now!!

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Remember when there was actually a QB battle for the starting job before the 2019 Season for NDSU between Zeb and Trey?!!  Wow.  That almost seams laughable now!!

Either it wasn't close or Zeb is a Thursday all-american lol

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

What's funny to me is that he has to even say that NDSU has moved on from UND, like we NEED NDSU in order to survive the FCS ourselves. :silly: NDSU bolted to a higher division, because UND had started to gain momentum in the rivalry and was afraid of that and wanted to separate themselves from UND. To say NDSU and their fans have moved on and don't/won't see UND as a rivalry anymore, due to the FCS championship and FBS games, is laughable. Of course NDSU and their vans don't/won't want to see UND as a rival. We will always be one of their biggest threats to success. Sooner of later UND will catch up to them and then they will want to try bolt to the MWC to separate themselves from UND once again.

To clarify...I am reacting to McFeely's article. I am not saying no NDSU fans still see this game as a rivalry game.