SiouxSports.com Forum

UND versus NDSU - 1st DIV I Conference Game 2020 Rona moved to 2021 @ Manure Pit - RIVALRY?

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

15 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Why are most here confusing a conversation about reality with people making excuses? Has NDSU looked as good as this year as it has in years past? Clearly no, so people are describing why that may be. 

When a top 10 pick moves on early, you almost certainly are going to be hamstrung a bit at that position. When you graduate your top 2 running backs and the guy you were counting on to take the torch goes down for the year, you are going to have to lean on some inexperienced guys. I’m not sure whats happening with Sproles, but he was going to be a big part of the offense this year, #1/#2 receiver. These aren’t excuses, these are reality. 

If Maag and Schuster and Weah weren’t playing for UND would you guys be 4-0?

NDSU also had a 5th year senior as a back-up who supposedly was competing for the starting job going into 2019, so that shouldn't have been that big of a concern. Hasn't the question of how highly ranked would NDSU's back-ups be? Top 10 easy from everything I've seen/heard. Turns out that might not have been so accurate.

I'd be more curious why NDSU has lost multiple RB's to transfers and would have been able to provide that depth rather than who has graduated or been injured.

And you just named 3 guys who are prototypical of the exact type of player that NDSU fans have ridiculed UND for recruiting. D2 guys with no other D1 offers. Now all of the sudden these guys are the ones who are the reason UND has a good chance to knock of NDSU on Saturday? 

This isn't direct at you but the line between "excuses" and "reality" are all dependent on which side of the argument you're on. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Why are most here confusing a conversation about reality with people making excuses? Has NDSU looked as good as this year as it has in years past? Clearly no, so people are describing why that may be. 

When a top 10 pick moves on early, you almost certainly are going to be hamstrung a bit at that position. When you graduate your top 2 running backs and the guy you were counting on to take the torch goes down for the year, you are going to have to lean on some inexperienced guys. I’m not sure whats happening with Sproles, but he was going to be a big part of the offense this year, #1/#2 receiver. These aren’t excuses, these are reality. 

Schuster and Weah hadn’t played more than a game combined prior to this year.  

It is a reality but NDSU fans and media throw it around like they are the only team going through it.  

Reality is that UND is younger at the OL, QB and WR than NDSU.  

6 minutes ago, homer said:

Schuster and Weah hadn’t played more than a game combined prior to this year.  

It is a reality but NDSU fans and media throw it around like they are the only team going through it.  

Reality is that UND is younger at the OL, QB and WR than NDSU.  

It doesn’t matter about experience  in this context, only that they are the starter for a reason. If you take away the best player at three key positions, it makes things challenging is all I’m saying.

If any team in the country lost their QB, best or second best receiver and their best running back, they would expect a major drop off. Correct?

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

NDSU also had a 5th year senior as a back-up who supposedly was competing for the starting job going into 2019, so that shouldn't have been that big of a concern. Hasn't the question of how highly ranked would NDSU's back-ups be? Top 10 easy from everything I've seen/heard. Turns out that might not have been so accurate.

I'd be more curious why NDSU has lost multiple RB's to transfers and would have been able to provide that depth rather than who has graduated or been injured.

And you just named 3 guys who are prototypical of the exact type of player that NDSU fans have ridiculed UND for recruiting. D2 guys with no other D1 offers. Now all of the sudden these guys are the ones who are the reason UND has a good chance to knock of NDSU on Saturday? 

This isn't direct at you but the line between "excuses" and "reality" are all dependent on which side of the argument you're on. 

The running back thing makes me wonder too, I don’t know any details.

Some NDSU fans are idiots, what can I say?

5 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

The running back thing makes me wonder too, I don’t know any details.

Some NDSU fans are idiots, what can I say?

Curious what your thoughts are on Entz? Do think his style, methods, attitude may cause some issues with the players?

I obviously don't know the guy, but have never been as impressed with him as I have with Kliemann or Bohl. Entz has seemed to have this bit or arrogance to him that I don't care for. Maybe I'm off base with that.

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Curious what your thoughts are on Entz? Do think his style, methods, attitude may cause some issues with the players?

I obviously don't know the guy, but have never been as impressed with him as I have with Kliemann or Bohl. Entz has seemed to have this bit or arrogance to him that I don't care for. Maybe I'm off base with that.

I will always hesitate to judge a guy I’ve never met and I’m also biased because he happens to coach the team I cheer for.

That said, I’ve said since he was hired that his demeanor and language is much more that of a coordinator than a head coach. He seems to make decisions based on emotion rather than logic and is too forthcoming with information in the media. Klieman I believe had what I would consider to be my prototypical personality for a head coach so maybe it’s just the contrast between Klieman and Entz that makes Entz come across as immature at times, but who knows. 

Overall, for me, the jury is still out on Entz. But I believe that he would benefit greatly from taking some lessons on in game decision making and media from Klieman.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I agree.  Someone explain to me why the Bison are so young?  I can only think of one reason.  Far too many recruiting misses.  Trey Lance, Dillun Radunz they lost.  Everyone else could be playing.   In September the team will only be 5 months older.  

Right. Losing two guys one year early doesn’t offset the age of the entire roster into excuse making youth.

• Upvote 1

I think it’s important to point out that though NDSU has not looked particularly great in their wins this year and the tough part of the schedule is still to come, they are still 3-1 with a chance to beat the undefeated #2 team in the nation this weekend and put themselves in the drivers seat for winning the toughest conference in the country and the autobid. So sure, they are missing some guys, but with a win this weekend they are exactly where they want to be. 

Some added fun and meaning to this weekends game.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

I think it’s important to point out that though NDSU has not looked particularly great in their wins this year and the tough part of the schedule is still to come, they are still 3-1 with a chance to beat the undefeated #2 team in the nation this weekend and put themselves in the drivers seat for winning the toughest conference in the country and the autobid. So sure, they are missing some guys, but with a win this weekend they are exactly where they want to be. 

Some added fun and meaning to this weekends game.

Completely agree.  A win over UND will certainly help SU "right the ship".  IMO offense has been bad all spring, I think we will all have a better gauge on the NDSU defense after Saturday.  Wins were all against struggling offense and defense was not good vs SIU.

• Upvote 1

NDSU fans telling UND fans about impacts of "early departures" ... um, oh-kay ... and yeah, not so much football, but UND Hockey fans are well aware of the concept. And it can be planned for and worked around. 

So while I understand the problem of a departure, isn't the motto "next man up"? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

McFeely talking crazy like that will only piss off half of the college sports fans in the state, talk about alienating half of your readership with that nonsense. NDSU was better this last decade but their run wasn’t going to last forever and may never be repeated by themselves or any other team 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

NDSU fans telling UND fans about impacts of "early departures" ... um, oh-kay ... and yeah, not so much football, but UND Hockey fans are well aware of the concept. And it can be planned for and worked around. 

So while I understand the problem of a departure, isn't the motto "next man up"? 

UND plans for it because it has always happened. This is brand new and unexpected for these coaches and couldn’t have been planned for 

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

Here's the real question: How come NDSU didn't blow out Central Arkansas in their showcase game this fall..........

I remember watching that game, where NDSU had their two golden boys, thinking this team is above average, but not by much.

7 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

UND plans for it because it has always happened. This is brand new and unexpected for these coaches and couldn’t have been planned for 

Having the next man ready in "next man up" is a plan, the plan.

NDSU does have 2s and 3s on the depth chart, yes? And a recruits pipeline? Reference: Jensen -> Wentz -> Stick -> Lance -> _______ 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Alabama plans for it ... I though NDSU was basically the same?!?!

Just joking, of course

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Having the next man ready in "next man up" is a plan, the plan.

NDSU does have 2s and 3s on the depth chart, yes? And a recruits pipeline? 

Of course they have other players and more recruits. Stop pretending as if UND hockey and NDSU football have the same history of guys leaving early. There is no comparison to the two programs in that regard.

Its a poor analogy and you know it.

7 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Here's the real question: How come NDSU didn't blow out Central Arkansas in their showcase game this fall..........

I remember watching that game, where NDSU had their two golden boys, thinking this team is above average, but not by much.

Who knows, hard to judge when you play a single game in October with nothing leading up to it.

Stauss goes down, Jensen comes off the sideline (not next year, the sideline).
Jensen goes down, Wentz comes off sideline.
Wentz goes down, Stick comes off sideline.
Stick goes down, Lance comes off sideline.

If any of those guys had bolted (save for Lance) it really was "next man up"; the early departure plan was already brewed in. 

But where's the guy to come off the sideline for Lance? 

NDSU has had a marvelous QB plan/pipeline for a decade, but there's a hole after Lance (unless it's VT guy this fall and it may well be). 

What changed? 

Somebody broke from the NDSU QB plan. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Stauss goes down, Jensen comes off the sideline.
Jensen goes down, Wentz comes off sideline.
Wentz goes down, Stick comes off sideline.
Stick goes down, Lance comes off sideline.

If any of those guys had bolted (save for Lance) it really was "next man up"; the early departure plan was already brewed in. 

But where's the guy to come off the sideline for Lance? 

NDSU has had a marvelous QB plan/pipeline for a decade, but there's a hole after Lance (unless it's VT guy this fall and it may well be). 

What changed? 

Somebody broke from the NDSU QB plan. 

Again, distorting facts. Wentz didn’t start until he was a junior so the timeline is pushed back on the next recruit. If stick goes down his sophomore year, Lance isn’t there to come in.

a guy you were counting on for 2-3 more seasons leaving early, leaves any team at the FCS level with limited options.

17 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I mean...that was their first game in 10 months and CAU's 3rd or 4th game of the season. 

Not unexpected to be a bit rusty, plus even NDSU isn't going to blow everyone out. 

It doesn’t matter about experience  in this context, only that they are the starter for a reason. If you take away the best player at three key positions, it makes things challenging is all I’m saying.

If any team in the country lost their QB, best or second best receiver and their best running back, they would expect a major drop off. Correct?

Your right, NDSU is the only team that lost their best players at those positions and has players making their first starts this spring.  

Again, the excuse has been NDSU’s youth.  Read the McFeely article.  He’s not the only one saying it.   Schuster and Weah are also young and are the starters because they are the best at their positions.  

The best RB(Cofield) transferred, his backup(Wilson) was hurt in first spring game.