SiouxSports.com Forum

UND versus NDSU - 1st DIV I Conference Game 2020 Rona moved to 2021 @ Manure Pit - RIVALRY?

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

1 hour ago, homer said:

Yes, the spring season doesn’t matter excuse.  I’ve heard that one too.  Fargo media and fans saying this season should have an asterisk.  Lol

1) our team is young

2) No one cares about spring football

Regardless of how well UND is doing or poorly NDSU is doing, I’m not sure it’s even arguable that this season will have an asterisk on it. I’d say the same thing in May if NDSU somehow wins another championship. Look around the country, some teams aren’t playing, we’ve completely gotten rid of the non conference schedule, players opting out all over. An asterisk is going on this season whether you like it or not. That doesn’t mean that UND isn’t playing great and deserving of the 2020 national title of it comes to that, but 50 years from now when people see a national champion with a record of 10-1 or 11-0 they are gonna ask why so few games were played.

1 hour ago, homer said:

spring season doesn’t matter excuse

If you listen to the UNDFootball360 pre-game podcasts, they were pretty much in line with this opinion prior to the first game as well.  It's like a "practice season."  But really, it is the 2020 season being played in 2021.  Now, yes, there are some differences.  Some schools aren't playing.  The playoff field is fewer teams (which makes it tougher).  But there's no asterisk next to it.  If Montana, Montana State, and Indiana State didn't play in the fall, would that make that season illegitimate?  Not to me.  If they're conceding a chance to win a championship, that's on them, not the season.

2 hours ago, GoHawks said:

I don't get this??? Why would anyone want to lose a game at any time. NDSU is gonna have the same roster in the fall, plus a couple transfers and freshman then they do this spring just like any FCS program in the country.

Of course you never want to lose. Say God comes to me in my sleep and says "NDSU will lose to UND this week, or in the fall...but I'm letting you choose which one," that decision is very easy. Take the L in the spring season.

Would you rather lose a pickup game to your brother in front of your parents and some friends or in front of the whole school? Same general concept.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Dustin said:

If you listen to the UNDFootball360 pre-game podcasts, they were pretty much in line with this opinion prior to the first game as well.  It's like a "practice season."  But really, it is the 2020 season being played in 2021.  Now, yes, there are some differences.  Some schools aren't playing.  The playoff field is fewer teams (which makes it tougher).  But there's no asterisk next to it.  If Montana, Montana State, and Indiana State didn't play in the fall, would that make that season illegitimate?  Not to me.  If they're conceding a chance to win a championship, that's on them, not the season.

Montana and  Montana State fans are pissed that their teams are not playing in this asterisk “ practice spring season”, winning is winning in my book!

48 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Of course you never want to lose. Say God comes to me in my sleep and says "NDSU will lose to UND this week, or in the fall...but I'm letting you choose which one," that decision is very easy. Take the L in the spring season.

Would you rather lose a pickup game to your brother in front of your parents and some friends or in front of the whole school? Same general concept.

There will be plenty of fans watching the game and I'm sure lots of ndsu fans like this. 

Image-1.png

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

McFeely talking crazy like that will only piss off half of the college sports fans in the state, talk about alienating half of your readership with that nonsense. NDSU was better this last decade but their run wasn’t going to last forever and may never be repeated by themselves or any other team 

Not sure on this, but McFeely must get paid by the click. He certainly can't believe half the the stuff he throws out there.

18 minutes ago, LH Golfer said:

Not sure on this, but McFeely must get paid by the click. He certainly can't believe half the the stuff he throws out there.

McFooly has his style to agitate, many Bizon also hate him. 
I know some can't even look his way anymore, but I get a laugh out of the yakkitdy yak coming out both sides of his mouth. 
In a league by himself here in the valley.

There really are not enough sports articles written in the area, so he ends up in my basket.

28 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

My key to the game for UND: Maag & Richter. Need to hit a couple of balls over the top as I think NDSU can stop the run. Also, UND secondary needs to stop the deep ball as I think NDSU will try to catch them sleeping.

I agree that the passing game is going to have to be solid.  If we can't connect on passes, our run game isn't going to be able to win it on its own against their defense.  (Against most other defenses, I would not say that).  How prolific our air attack will need to be, that I'm not sure of.  It may be just a few key situations, or we may need to be a pass-happy offense.  We have to make their defense respect our passing game.  The good thing is that I feel our passing game is dangerous enough that we can overcome a hard day on the ground.

1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

My key to the game for UND: Maag & Richter. Need to hit a couple of balls over the top as I think NDSU can stop the run. Also, UND secondary needs to stop the deep ball as I think NDSU will try to catch them sleeping.

My key is keep playing the style of football that worked for NDSU the last 12 years.   Try to stay in 2nd and 5/6 & 3 and 2/3.  We have done a verngood job on that so far this year.  Needs to continue.  

Also, I think both teams will be able to move the ball to the red zones.  Key will be who settles for FG attempts and who scored TDS.  

26 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I agree, but you don't think its going to happen?  Even if its not Saturday, its obvious UND is there and it will be soon.

It’ll definitely happen, now that they are playing every year it’s a mathematical certainly in my mind. 

I was just talking a little friendly trash that it hasn’t happened just yet.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I thought God only came to Moses, Abraham, and such.... glad he favors uND!!!!

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

I don't think this will be close.  I really believe we have turned the corner.  Tommy Touchdown and the Otis Weah to go show with a "WE WANT MORE" OL push with carry the day.

I've still got my guard up.  Moo U by 13.