SiouxSports.com Forum

Own The Farm Week

Prison_Mike

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

NDSU could hang the third in a row, make it eight of nine, ... but a loss to UND would make the season a failure. (Tip of cap to Rocky Hagar.) 

That is a time long-gone.

We could go 7-4, with losses to UND, SDSU, UNI and USD, eek into the playoffs and if NDSU somehow got on a run and won the championship after that regular season, the fan base would only be more excited about it.

”Even on our down years, we still know how to win when it really counts” would be the narrative out of Fargo.

8 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I couldn’t care less if the players know about the history between NDSU and UND. 

I guess we can just agree to disagree on this one.

Its not that players need to be history majors on this one, but there should be some awareness of what is considered a big game among fans and the community. Yes, I understand this is not the rivalry it was 15-20 years ago, but still ...

-Proximity matters

-NDSU has been elite; UND wants to get there

-NDSU (especially fans) find UND football inferior; Players should want to prove this wrong as much as fans do.

-Younger fans may not care as much about this match up, but there are plenty of older fans on both sides that care about this game.

-NDSU player to get up for this game as much, if not more than other; knowing that if they lose there will be some outrage among fans.

-Starting this year, we will play you guys every year

Lets talk hockey, UND and the Gophers didn't play for several years, and yeah the rivalry felt a little different, but we still wanted to beat them and badly, and that is going to be non-conf going forward.

Everything about this game between NDSU and UND is building and rebuilding a once great rivalry. I am not saying a UND win will happen, but a UND win would be the ultimate way to ignite this rivalry into what it was.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Its not that players need to be history majors on this one, but there should be some awareness of what is considered a big game among fans and the community. Yes, I understand this is not the rivalry it was 15-20 years ago, but still ...

-Proximity matters

-NDSU has been elite; UND wants to get there

-NDSU (especially fans) find UND football inferior; Players should want to prove this wrong as much as fans do.

-Younger fans may not care as much about this match up, but there are plenty of older fans on both sides that care about this game.

-NDSU player to get up for this game as much, if not more than other; knowing that if they lose there will be some outrage among fans.

-Starting this year, we will play you guys every year

Lets talk hockey, UND and the Gophers didn't play for several years, and yeah the rivalry felt a little different, but we still wanted to beat them and badly, and that is going to be non-conf going forward.

Everything about this game between NDSU and UND is building and rebuilding a once great rivalry. I am not saying a UND win will happen, but a UND win would be the ultimate way to ignite this rivalry into what it was.

I think your last paragraph outlines perfectly how most NDSU fans feel about this game. I believe it’s going to take UND beating NDSU for NDSU fans to truly feel like the rivalry is back.

37 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

NDSU could hang the third in a row, make it eight of nine, ... but a loss to UND would make the season a failure. (Tip of cap to Rocky Hagar.) 

You could go 11-1, and if that one is to those son of a guns north of us, your seasons not a success.—Rocky Hagar, Football America

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I think your last paragraph outlines perfectly how most NDSU fans feel about this game. I believe it’s going to take UND beating NDSU for NDSU fans to truly feel like the rivalry is back.

From 1965 to 1992, NDSU won 21 NCC titles, 8 National Championships, and was 22-6 against UND those 28 years.  There was a stretch at the end of that era where NDSU won 12 straight.  I don't think there were any Bison fans in 1992 that thought that rivalry was dead because UND hadn't been successful, especially against the Bison.  Even during there hiatus of not playing each other, UND and NDSU remained rivals. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Heck even if they made a game of it.

Last time was just so bad.

11 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

You could go 11-1, and if that one is to those son of a guns north of us, your seasons not a success.—Rocky Hagar, Football America

Rocky Hagar hasn’t walked the halls in 25 years, it’s a new era.

If you asked guys even back when I played,  15 years ago, I’d be willing to bet only a few would have known who Rocky Hagar was.

To be clear, from someone who has been on the inside of NDSU football, when we talk tradition and values and respecting the guys that came before you and laid the foundation, those conversations do not revolve around specific players in those eras or specific opponents.

NDSU football minimizes the individual players and elevates the team and the preparation to win.

I can’t remember a single time a coach talked about a specific former player and a specific game in NDSU lore, but we talked about the sacrifice and the tradition all the time.

If I didn’t grow up an NDSU fan, Rocky Hagar would have just been a picture on the wall in the locker room to me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

I’ve never seen a fan base respond so casually to their starting QB going down.

Must speak very well to how much you all trust the backup.

Neither of them tore up Butler so maybe the optimism on either of them just isn’t there.  

I think we know what we are getting with each and they both have their flaws.  It’s more on our OC to adjust to what he has under center.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I agree with everything you just said.

But that still doesn’t address my question as to why the players would in any way see this as a rivalry game.

I don’t think they see it as a rivalry. For the most part players are focused on game prep and preparing to win the next game. Any time you play a team the caliber of NDSU there is more excitement and intensity. The rivalry is mostly fan and media hype. In past years when so many players were from NDak, Mn, Wisc.  We knew each other and played against each other or on same teams in high school. It was different then. The fans and media will revive the rivalry. It will pick up on your side the next time UND wins the game. 

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

From 1965 to 1992, NDSU won 21 NCC titles, 8 National Championships, and was 22-6 against UND those 28 years.  There was a stretch at the end of that era where NDSU won 12 straight.  I don't think there were any Bison fans in 1992 that thought that rivalry was dead because UND hadn't been successful, especially against the Bison.  Even during there hiatus of not playing each other, UND and NDSU remained rivals. 

Some of those games in the 12 streak were close though. Right now on the field these teams aren't close. But that can change in the next couple years. UND fans who think there is a chance to win this game or be competitive aren't being honest with themselves. But that doesn't mean it can't be close in a year or two.

Bison fans who say this isn't a rivalry are also not being honest with themselves. They like to think of themselves as Ohio State to UND's Ohio. That is not a valid analogy. They are much more similar than alike regardless of the current level of athletic success. UND took a path to D1 that made it much more difficult to be successful. Now that their recruiting and conference footprint are more in alignment I expect we'll see vast improvement in the quality of their recruits. They still need coaches who are good recruiters, but there is no reason they can't find them or don't already have them.

• UNDBIZ locked this topic