SiouxSports.com Forum

Own The Farm Week

Prison_Mike

38 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I agree with everything you just said.

But that still doesn’t address my question as to why the players would in any way see this as a rivalry game.

Most non local players won’t until one of those signature rivalry plays heats things up in a close game. Like a late hit on a star player out of bounds. Or a really bad penalty call that cause a swing in momentum. No guarantee any of that happens this Saturday but it will eventually and things will get cranked to 11 quickly. 

Additionally, any amount of success from UND hurts NDSU fans in a different way than any other program could. It’s cognitive dissonance on another level, and it’s natural, not forced like the SDSU stuff.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I’ve never seen a fan base respond so casually to their starting QB going down.

Must speak very well to how much you all trust the backup.

A lot of people on this board have really liked Zimm when’s he’s played. I like his mechanics 1000x more than Kett for whatever that’s worth. He’s a quality backup for sure.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I’ve never seen a fan base respond so casually to their starting QB going down.

Must speak very well to how much you all trust the backup.

I personally think zim is a better QB, plays more aggressive and moves better than kett 

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

I agree with everything you just said.

But that still doesn’t address my question as to why the players would in any way see this as a rivalry game.

The players hear it from the fans. If they are blind the the history of UND vs. NDSU, I guess, I'm not sure I'd want that player on my team. 

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

The players hear it from the fans. If they are blind the the history of UND vs. NDSU, I guess, I'm not sure I'd want that player on my team. 

Why wouldn’t you want that player?

The history between NDSU and UND in football happened mostly before they were born. I don’t require my favorite team’s players to be historians to be on my team. Not that they ask me about recruiting :)

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Virtually all? Do you want to retract that or????

I will revise. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_college_football_rivalry_games

Of the 359 "Rivalry games" in FBS, FCS, D2, and D3, 198 of them, the winer receives some sort of trophy.  Of course many schools play for more than one.  So virtually all was a bit of an exaggeration on my part.  But the number is definitely over half.  

My point is yes, there are lots of rivalry games in college football that don't play for a trophy (or an inanimate object).  But for those that do, the rivalry game is so much better because you will always have that moment for one team of them carrying around the "trophy" .  And think about what these players are playing for!!  A pot, a jug, an axe, a pig, a skillet, etc.  Doesn't even matter what it is.  The trophy is the symbol that represents that win against the rival.  And that is something that these players will remember forever.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

Why wouldn’t you want that player?

The history between NDSU and UND in football happened mostly before they were born. I don’t require my favorite team’s players to be historians to be on my team. Not that they ask me about recruiting :)

Foundations of the program is very important. To know where we're going, we have to see where we've been. UND vs. NDSU is a massive part of each team's history and ignoring that would suggest blindness to that type of history. Thus, the player would be ignoring something that is really special to a super-majority of the fanbase.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Foundations of the program is very important. To know where we're going, we have to see where we've been. UND vs. NDSU is a massive part of each team's history and ignoring that would suggest blindness to that type of history. Thus, the player would be ignoring something that is really special to a super-majority of the fanbase.

I couldn’t care less if the players know about the history between NDSU and UND. 

I guess we can just agree to disagree on this one.

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

NDSU could hang the third in a row, make it eight of nine, ... but a loss to UND would make the season a failure. (Tip of cap to Rocky Hagar.) 

As much as I wish it were true, I highly doubt this is the tone coming from Entz.