SiouxSports.com Forum

Own The Farm Week

Prison_Mike

There is definitely a rivalry between the schools. Between the players it won't be as intense as it was in the D2 days, but it will get there quickly. The sooner UND can become competitive in the game again the sooner the rivalry will become more intense for the players. That probably isn't this year but with UND likely having more success recruiting since their playing footprint and recruiting footprint are now more aligned.

Having been on many football fields I can tell you the intensity between players does ratchet up for rivalry games. It's not just a fan thing.

26 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

A48FE0FF-89B3-48A9-B139-1C8BBFE18F55.thumb.jpeg.caa4b500251c18883351530a8ec30af6.jpeg

I truly love posts where I don’t have to work to get a vision.

Read in the morning paper or on-line somewhere that JuiceU is commissioning a 125 year football print from “humble beginnings “ to the 7 natties... would this be part of the print? Just wondering... I am not artistic.

10 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

NDSU has a rival and plays for the marker.  SDSU is NDSUs rival.  UND continues to attempt to elevate their status in CFB by clinging to a old rivalry.

Its kind of funny in a sad way.

Why are you here

you should be on the SDSU board and the ndsac board 

17 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

NDSU has a rival and plays for the marker.  SDSU is NDSUs rival.  UND continues to attempt to elevate their status in CFB by clinging to a old rivalry.

Its kind of funny in a sad way.

Do NDSU fans invade any other opposing teams message board more than the Turd fans in Sioux Sports? 

Yeah there is no rivalry..... we will see what happens the day UND beats the Bison.....

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Watching the replay of UW and EWU... EWU is down 21 - 0 in first quarter. en route to 28 - 7 (EWU finally scored on a 64 yard pass with less than a minute to go in the half) first half and 47 -14 final. Looks like the 2019 Screaming Eagles are much changed from the 2018 version. Even missed a 36 yard field goal late in the second quarter. 

UND can win that game, and it should not be written off as a loss. 

The toughest matchups will be NDSU and UC Davis. Weber State will be a barn burner defensive matchup so it will come down to the offense that can break through. 

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

Describe why NDSU and UND football players on the current team have any reason to think this is a rivalry? Nobody on the current team played in the 2015 game and they were all in diapers the last time this game meant something.

Rivalry doesn’t just mean “big game”.

Dude, have been to any sports contest between UND and NDSU lately? Last season, I sat behind this obnoxious, abrasive NDSU fan during basketball game. You're kidding yourself if don't think it's rivalry game. Like someone mentioned above, it this was just another game, the tickets wouldn't be this expensive.

We get it, the Bison are very good. You'd have to be a moron not to acknowledge this. But to suggest this isn't rivalry game is arrogant and short sighted. It's going to be funny watching some try to spin themselves into knots saying this isn't a rivalry game. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, SlowHand said:

I am a UND hockey fan.  Deal with it.

Ah you are another confused  bandwagon fan....... makes more sense now. Let me guess you weren’t alive when the rivalry was alive and well with UND. If SDSU is the main rivalry then talk about a lame rivalry. It takes more than a traveling trophy 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Sioux>Bison said:

Ah you are another confused  bandwagon fan....... makes more sense now. Let me guess you weren’t alive when the rivalry was alive and well with UND. If SDSU is the main rivalry then talk about a lame rivalry. It takes more than a traveling trophy 

Hilarious.  When UND is relevant again beep me.

5 minutes ago, Goon said:

Dude, have been to any sports contest between UND and NDSU lately? Last season, I sat behind this obnoxious, abrasive NDSU fan during basketball game. You're kidding yourself if don't think it's rivalry game. Like someone mentioned above, it this was just another game, the tickets wouldn't be this expensive.

We get it, the Bison are very good. You'd have to be a moron not to acknowledge this. But to suggest this isn't rivalry game is arrogant and short sighted. It's going to be funny watching some try to spin themselves into knots saying this isn't a rivalry game. 

Why is the obvious distinction I’m making in this conversation being ignored?

To the players!!!!!! I don’t believe they see it as a rivalry...yet.

1 minute ago, iramurphy said:

Because if UND upsets NDSU it changes the FB climate of the region. Recruits look at things differently and FB takes a big step forward for UND fans and will raise doubt in the mind of a number of Bison fans whose lives revolve around Bison FB. There are an awful lot of fair weather NDSU FB fans who have jumped on the bandwagon over the years. They have no affiliation with NDSU other than they want to associate with success. Same thing with UND hockey and previously with UND FB when we were winning. All coaches need to approach it as “just another game”. UND has very little to lose unless they are embarrassed. NDSU has little to gain. A win for NDSU isn’t a big deal. A close game or a loss means that bird in the rear view mirror is getting bigger and it’s a Fighting Hawk. 

I agree with everything you just said.

But that still doesn’t address my question as to why the players would in any way see this as a rivalry game.

I want to talk about the matchup itself. Is there a position where UND has an advantage over NDSU? I think UND fans will say WR as the Hawks' wideouts are much taller than NDSU defenders. However, I am concerned they will need more speed to get open quicker as the Bison DL will be closing in quickly. I do think the UND defense will give Lance a crazy amount of looks which might work but also could give up some big plays.

Bison06,

You’re right. The players don’t give $.02 about this game as opposed to any other game. That’s why you have players from Florida or Georgia or wherever up on a stage celebrating FCS title #6 leading the crowd in a “siouxsuck” chant. Because they don’t care about this game. Because they don’t understand what this game means to the community that the represent. Because they couldn’t come close to understanding what this game means to the little bars on Main Street in Anytown, ND.  Because they can’t comprehend what this game means to those that have walked the path to the field from the locker room before them. You’re right. It’s not a rivalry. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

But that still doesn’t address my question as to why the players would in any way see this as a rivalry game.

The players across from the Bison feel it is a rivalry game so who does that bode well for? Bubba and Co desperately scheduled this game to get the rivalry going again so this  mindset trickles down to his players. 

NDSU players will realize quick if this game is really a rivalry.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Freshman hockey players at UND and Minnesota have talked about how much of a difference the atmosphere was for the rivalry games, and how experiencing the fan engagement really opened their eyes.  Players in any sport get pumped up from the fan interaction and excitement, and a pumped stadium atmosphere really gets the adrenaline flowing.  That would be my explanation.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SlowHand said:

Why do UND fans cling to the hope that they are considered NDSU's rivals so desperately?

Its very odd.

Man you are thick. So you are going to tell me that actual fans and alumni of both schools that the over 100 year rivalry has ended and will never ever have a chance to come back. You are telling me that those years of rivalry are going to forgotten and the pst feeling to be ignored. You are a bandwagon fan so you have no idea of what a  real rivalry is.....

• Like 2