SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Attendance

SiouxFan100

On 9/29/2019 at 2:03 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

But too many people like @jdub27 will just accept any explanation they get from the higher-ups at UND and conclude that nothing can be done about what is wrong.

You don't have a clue what explanations I've been give or what my reactions to them have been, but thanks for the call out anyway. I'll clue you in: In no shape or form has it been 100% acceptance/agreement, which is why I have offered opinions and suggestions that I think can help to make things better, even if it is small things. Does it make a difference? Maybe, maybe not, but at least I can say I'm putting effort in instead of just complaining about it. And as with everything in life, there are some things that either take time or will be very hard to change, whether you want to accept it or not. But actually hearing about those things straight from those who's job it is to make things work and what steps they are trying to make it happen makes a big difference one perceives things.

On 9/29/2019 at 2:03 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

And if I was to sit down and talk with these people, what kind of response would I get?

So again, while you continue to pontificate on here that you "refuse to accept" how things are and how they need to change, you actually mean it so much that you won't take the time to contact the AD yourself with comments or suggestions with a simple e-mail. What conviction...

18 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Group question: Does a home hockey game hurt or help attendance? It may attract those that are from out of town and want to hit both, but others cant commit 6 hours and $$$ to sports on a single day, especially families. 

I think is hurts or locals have things they need to get done on a Saturday and don't have the time to sit and watch 6 hours of sports.

47 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Group question: Does a home hockey game hurt or help attendance? It may attract those that are from out of town and want to hit both, but others cant commit 6 hours and $$$ to sports on a single day, especially families. 

This is a FB attendance tread, so I think it helps. 
Being homecoming, distant alumni show up more so than other FB games. The hockey game can help draw more alumni to GF, therefore even to attend the FB game.

If a local fan was to choose between one of the games, this FB game is a Biggy.

31 minutes ago, northernraider said:

11 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I think is hurts or locals have things they need to get done on a Saturday and don't have the time to sit and watch 6 hours of sports.

Agree that it hurts.  Gets to be a very long day to do both.  Usually have to pick one over the other.

13 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

This is a FB attendance tread, so I think it helps. 
Being homecoming, distant alumni show up more so than other FB games. The hockey game can help draw more alumni to GF, therefore even to attend the FB game.

If a local fan was to choose between one of the games, the FB game is a Biggy.

I think it helps if we have a good product on the field - more people available who want to see a great game.  However, if we have a hard to watch team it hurts because up until last year people could go to the hockey game and see a great game.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Big Green said:

That's a good question. On 10/26 I am going to the football game against MSU and then the hockey game against BSU. This is a long day, no doubt about it, but it will be a really fun day. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Nodak61 said:

Maybe we need something like this?   Fans and Alerus Crew would need to be on board.   And Metallica!

I've always thought the team needed something like this when taking the field.  NDSU has a pretty cool thing going, but it would be nice to come up with our own thing that becomes a tradition.  

20 hours ago, northernraider said:

I may not be the best person to answer this, as I drive to GF for all hockey and all football, but I will tell you I look forward to these days.  Yes, it's a long day, but since I'm going to spend 2-4 hours in the car anyway (depending on where I leave from that day), I'm glad to get to do both.  It also means I'm going to eat at a GF restaurant and/or the stadium or arena, or a combination of all.  I'm going to have a chance to check out a place in town I normally don't, as I have more time.  I may even end up at GF Scheels or the Sioux Shop for some more UND gear that, again, I wouldn't normally be in town long enough to do.  I'm not saying everyone sees it this way, but this is how those days work for my family.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Narrowly beaten out by the Bisonation Urination Sidewalk Experience. 

Well yes...

that is some entrance... JuiceU comes out of the helmet... I don’t see us coming out of the mouth of a hawk....

Barry Manilow motivated people with those neon necklaces at a concert I attended... could shut off the lights... cell phone lights... spot lights on the field...there are many options. The team entrance was a little more exciting years ago... rather anemic now...

Also, not to criticize but did you see the cheerleader signs?  I did not see any but may have missed them...

AD: many ways to ramp this up 200%...and not all are expensive!

2 hours ago, Hockeygirl97 said:

Attendance is always a moot point unless you have some winning teams. You need a band wagon to get band wagon jumpers.  Which is exactly why I can no longer go to Scheels from Sept. to May....all the Bison crap makes me want to puke. 

This is the harsh reality. But it is one none the less.  People who live in surrounding communities that I work with and would consider friends and acquaintances are a perfect example. I use to visit with these people on the concourse at Alerus during halftimes  frequently in the early 2000's.  These same people who I run into for work today, have been heading to Fargo on Saturday's and only started doing so within the last 5 or 6 years.  That's just a product of these people some would say "bandwagon jumpers" just want to identify with the most successful program of the time.  There is enough of them that it definitely can effect the numbers.  Let's just say I know of 4, off the top of my head. If others know of people like this...it can start to add up in a hurry.   And if UND Football starts getting really good again.  I would expect to see many of these people back.  That's not how I operate, but how a fair amount do and it can have an effect.

9 minutes ago, the green team said:

This is the harsh reality. But it is one none the less.  People who live in surrounding communities that I work with and would consider friends and acquaintances are a perfect example. I use to visit with these people on the concourse at Alerus during halftimes  frequently in the early 2000's.  These same people who I run into for work today, have been heading to Fargo on Saturday's and only started doing so within the last 5 or 6 years.  That's just a product of these people some would say "bandwagon jumpers" just want to identify with the most successful program of the time.  There is enough of them that it definitely can effect the numbers.  Let's just say I know of 4, off the top of my head. If others know of people like this...it can start to add up in a hurry.   And if UND Football starts getting really good again.  I would expect to see many of these people back.  That's not how I operate, but how a fair amount do and it can have an effect.

This sentence is the key part of almost everything.  And we've been waiting for what seems like forever.  Most towns used to be close to evenly divided between Sioux and Bison fans (with some pockets strongly for one or another based on proximity or having a local kid playing)  and game day was a blast. Remember when we thought Bubba and by extension Bubba Ball would challenge the Bison?  Now we are desperately hoping for an above average season.