Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Attendance


SiouxFan100
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Large scale level is put out a team people.... students and casual fans want to come watch .

Won’t be good enough. Then 2016 team still had subpar attendance. Alerus Center needs to have more entertainment and be a better host. As has been said for years, the Alerus Center needs to take notes from the REA. Or, in all honesty, the UND gameday entertainment staff needs to travel to Fargo and take some notes on a Saturday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Sounds to me like somebody wants better seats for himself. 

Not even a thought that has crossed my mind.

I’ve been to enough college football games across the country to know what UND football is missing on gameday. They are missing a lot, including seating orientation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I sit on the East side, and in general I am usually quite impressed with the turnout of the fans that fill in that side of the stadium, whether there is 7,000 people in attendance or 11,000.  Obviously the explanation is that the bulk of the season ticket holders land on the East side.  

It pains me to look at the gaping hole that forms in the middle on the West side as the season progresses.  I am confident that there are few, if any, other DI schools across the country that places their students directly behind the opposing bench.  Hell, as far as I know, the NCAA forbids it in the case of NCAA playoff games.  Most student sections are located in the end zones or corners.  We don't have endzone seating, but there is plenty of corner seating to the north of the band that would accommodate the UND students that actually attend the game.

Some may question the significance of the "optics" of the empty West side on TV.  But if I was a high schoold kid, or had a high school kid being recruited by UND,  I would come away unimpressed with the fan support after watching a game on TV, since that is the area the cameras are pointed at all game long.

There are lots of season ticket holders outside the 20 yard lines on the East side that could be interested in sitting in between the 40's on the West side.

Hell, the atmosphere is so important to me personally, that I wouldn't mind if the field was completely flipped so that the entire West side became the Champions Club side, just so it looks better on TV.

And I don't want to hear any BS about student fees.  They agreed to the fees that they pay.  And the fees that they pay are far less than the fees that most Champions Club members pay.  If anyone really feels that students would be "punished" by moving them 100 feet to the North, has really been living a charmed life.........

I agree 100%. These are my exact thoughts as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I live across the state and honestly would come to more games if there was an on campus stadium, preferably outdoors.  

 

Sorry, but I am confident you are in the minority.  If anybody thinks attendance is weak now, it would be absolutely brutal if we had an outdoor stadium.  Third home game of the year is coming up and it is going to be 55 degrees with wind and rain outside.  Probably wouldn't crack 5,000 in this day and age IMO, homecoming or not.

I also think the on-campus argument is overblown.  Under the very best circumstances, student attendance would make up for about 15% of total attendance in a sold out Alerus Center.  According to Google Maps, it takes 27 minutes to walk to the Alerus versus 15 minutes to walk to Memorial Stadium.  If these kids don't have an extra 12 minutes to spare in their busy day, I give up!

The majority of fans that attend UND football games are adults, and it is easier to get to and to park at the Alerus than it would be at Memorial stadium.  GF isn't a huge place, and the Alerus isn't hard to get to for anyone whether you are driving, walking, or riding a bus............

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I live across the state and honestly would come to more games if there was an on campus stadium, preferably outdoors.  

Last game I attended was the Northern Arizona game that clinched the Big Sky.  Seemed like when I was a student during the D2 days (never missed a game at the Al) the band was more involved with the students and there was just more of a buzz in the crowd.  That NAU game was the biggest game in the school's DI history, and it just wasn't like the game meant that much. 

I'd be for a move outside.  Unlikely, I know, but something needs to change.  What I wouldn't give for the Alerus to be rocking North Alabama style every game.

There is a small number of schools that can get good attendance outdoors in the cold, all of whom I imagine are P5 teams.

37 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Not even a thought that has crossed my mind.

I’ve been to enough college football games across the country to know what UND football is missing on gameday. They are missing a lot, including seating orientation.

I've been reading complaints about UND's gameday setup the past decade. Have they made any substantial changes yet? 

I've only been to a couple games up there so my sample size isnt big enough to have an actual opinion on what they need to do other than have a competitive team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Won’t be good enough. Then 2016 team still had subpar attendance. Alerus Center needs to have more entertainment and be a better host. As has been said for years, the Alerus Center needs to take notes from the REA. Or, in all honesty, the UND gameday entertainment staff needs to travel to Fargo and take some notes on a Saturday. 

NDSU has a great tailgating turnout. Best overall experience for me is Camp Randall for a Badger game. Their “tailgating” experience starts over a mile from the stadium in all directions with homes and apartments along the way with gamesband barbecuing in virtually every yard and parking area. The students are in one end zone and they stay for the game. The band is a big part of the atmosphere. Multiple ingame traditions, the most recognized is the “Jump Around” between 3rd and 4th quarters. The Bucky Badger Song, and  the Budweiser song sung by all fans including students. After every TD fans rock to “Hot time in Old Town Tonight” then On Wisconsin after the XP. Alma Mater after game and everyone knows the words. Halftime show by band is big part of the atmosphere. Pregame experience at Army-Navy game is a pageant that should be on every college FB fans bucket list. Post game singing of both schools Alma Mater as The Corps of Cadets or Brigade of Midshipmen respectfully standby is very moving.  I have heard the Notre Dame experience is worth the trip and there are others. UND should send a team to multiple locations to see the possibilities. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

UND at Eastern Washington Univeristy FB game. Ross Field

ATTENDANCE:   8726
TEMPERATURE:   35
WIND: NNE 20

Did anyone notice where their student section is and how the student attendance was?

From my view on TV, there were few students at the game, and the bleachers behind the UND bench was pretty sparse.  No way was there 8,700 I'm the stands I'm Cheney.  They must have a nice season ticket base......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

From my view on TV, there were few students at the game, and the bleachers behind the UND bench was pretty sparse.  No way was there 8,700 I'm the stands I'm Cheney.  They must have a nice season ticket base......

Sounds like a share of tickets purchased were not brought to the game. That 20 mph wind with a few snowflakes had to have a impact.
I still wonder if we were mentally ready to start this game with the way the cold and wind was? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, iramurphy said:

NDSU has a great tailgating turnout. Best overall experience for me is Camp Randall for a Badger game. Their “tailgating” experience starts over a mile from the stadium in all directions with homes and apartments along the way with gamesband barbecuing in virtually every yard and parking area. The students are in one end zone and they stay for the game. The band is a big part of the atmosphere. Multiple ingame traditions, the most recognized is the “Jump Around” between 3rd and 4th quarters. The Bucky Badger Song, and  the Budweiser song sung by all fans including students. After every TD fans rock to “Hot time in Old Town Tonight” then On Wisconsin after the XP. Alma Mater after game and everyone knows the words. Halftime show by band is big part of the atmosphere. Pregame experience at Army-Navy game is a pageant that should be on every college FB fans bucket list. Post game singing of both schools Alma Mater as The Corps of Cadets or Brigade of Midshipmen respectfully standby is very moving.  I have heard the Notre Dame experience is worth the trip and there are others. UND should send a team to multiple locations to see the possibilities. 

I thought when they put together the committee to "enhance the game day experience" a few years ago they did send members to other schools - what we have now is what they came up with from that research. Not saying they failed because it's up to the students and fans to make the game day atmosphere. No committee could create what SU has and what has been shared ad nauseam is that football is #1 at SU. The UND Athletic Department has to split resources and staff between football and hockey in the fall - plus you have The Ralph keeping UND hockey #1 in the public's eyes.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Sorry, but I am confident you are in the minority.  If anybody thinks attendance is weak now, it would be absolutely brutal if we had an outdoor stadium.  Third home game of the year is coming up and it is going to be 55 degrees with wind and rain outside.  Probably wouldn't crack 5,000 in this day and age IMO, homecoming or not.

I also think the on-campus argument is overblown.  Under the very best circumstances, student attendance would make up for about 15% of total attendance in a sold out Alerus Center.  According to Google Maps, it takes 27 minutes to walk to the Alerus versus 15 minutes to walk to Memorial Stadium.  If these kids don't have an extra 12 minutes to spare in their busy day, I give up!

The majority of fans that attend UND football games are adults, and it is easier to get to and to park at the Alerus than it would be at Memorial stadium.  GF isn't a huge place, and the Alerus isn't hard to get to for anyone whether you are driving, walking, or riding a bus............

I'm definitely in the minority!  :lol:. Going to games with my dad at Memorial when it was 25 degrees with a stiff north wind and a packed stadium....God, that was football!!  

And you are probably likely to lose countless recruiting battles with an outdoor stadium with what they've got going in Fargo.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Cratter said:

So you're saying the general public has a chance to get 50 yard line seats right now on the visiting side and they still go empty.

That is what I propose they should do.  As far as I know, student section seats are not sold.  If they sold all unclaimed student seats, I think there would be many that would scoop them up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, iramurphy said:

NDSU has a great tailgating turnout. Best overall experience for me is Camp Randall for a Badger game. Their “tailgating” experience starts over a mile from the stadium in all directions with homes and apartments along the way with gamesband barbecuing in virtually every yard and parking area. The students are in one end zone and they stay for the game. The band is a big part of the atmosphere. Multiple ingame traditions, the most recognized is the “Jump Around” between 3rd and 4th quarters. The Bucky Badger Song, and  the Budweiser song sung by all fans including students. After every TD fans rock to “Hot time in Old Town Tonight” then On Wisconsin after the XP. Alma Mater after game and everyone knows the words. Halftime show by band is big part of the atmosphere. Pregame experience at Army-Navy game is a pageant that should be on every college FB fans bucket list. Post game singing of both schools Alma Mater as The Corps of Cadets or Brigade of Midshipmen respectfully standby is very moving.  I have heard the Notre Dame experience is worth the trip and there are others. UND should send a team to multiple locations to see the possibilities. 

I call BS. The UW fans start leaving as soon as the second half starts. Just like everywhere in the country. I saw a picture on Twitter this weekend, unfortunately can't find it, of a maybe half full UW student section in the fourth quarter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

I call BS. The UW fans start leaving as soon as the second half starts. Just like everywhere in the country. I saw a picture on Twitter this weekend, unfortunately can't find it, of a maybe half full UW student section in the fourth quarter.

I their defense,  most of those students are likely barfing on the bathroom or during the walk home

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, WiSioux said:

I call BS. The UW fans start leaving as soon as the second half starts. Just like everywhere in the country. I saw a picture on Twitter this weekend, unfortunately can't find it, of a maybe half full UW student section in the fourth quarter.

All I can comment on was my game experience there. I would guess there are games they also leave at halftime.  They didn’t seem to leave the Michigan game at halftime and they didn’t leave early when I attended a couple of years ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, iramurphy said:

NDSU has a great tailgating turnout. Best overall experience for me is Camp Randall for a Badger game. Their “tailgating” experience starts over a mile from the stadium in all directions with homes and apartments along the way with gamesband barbecuing in virtually every yard and parking area. The students are in one end zone and they stay for the game. The band is a big part of the atmosphere. Multiple ingame traditions, the most recognized is the “Jump Around” between 3rd and 4th quarters. The Bucky Badger Song, and  the Budweiser song sung by all fans including students. After every TD fans rock to “Hot time in Old Town Tonight” then On Wisconsin after the XP. Alma Mater after game and everyone knows the words. Halftime show by band is big part of the atmosphere. Pregame experience at Army-Navy game is a pageant that should be on every college FB fans bucket list. Post game singing of both schools Alma Mater as The Corps of Cadets or Brigade of Midshipmen respectfully standby is very moving.  I have heard the Notre Dame experience is worth the trip and there are others. UND should send a team to multiple locations to see the possibilities. 

Notre Dame is the best one I've seen but my experience with major FBS is severely limited and I got some serious gold goggles on. A lot of their deal is having an on campus historic stadium on a beautiful, big, and historic campus.

Their tailgating is very simple compared to the big over the top setups you see at NDSU or similar situations. At NDSU, having a camper/bus/etc setup is normal to come across. I wonder if it's sorta a status symbol or something(may just be dedication, I dont know). 

The Notre Dame gameday experience is about 90% tradition. They have one of the OG marching bands. They had not changed how they do things for decades until the last couple years when they did their stadium remodel and added a videoboard.

I went to a game in 2015 and it was like walking back in time with how they did things.

Went again last year and it was still like that but with a video board. Heck, even the town looks like something from the 70's or 80's.

It's a trip every fan should try to make at one point or another in their lives but I'm not sure anything can be learned from observing what they do. 

It seems like a minor league baseball team going to Fenway or Wrigley and trying to figure out what they are doing right. The answers you find just likely arent going to translate very well.

Big fish like Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio State, etc. will have a great gameday because that's their identity as a program and university. Any flaws or shortcomings in their way of doing things is glossed over by their brand. They dont need to make things "fun for the family" or do much goofy stuff.

If I had to guess, the best place to emulate for UND might be an hour down the road and a handful of other FCS teams. Not saying to steal what NDSU has done, but I think it might be best to look at schools with similar challenges (relatively small fanbase, limited dollars, geographic isolation). 

The NDSU's, Montana's, maybe JMU's of the world could probably at least sort of be emulated I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

UND at Eastern Washington Univeristy FB game. Ross Field

ATTENDANCE:   8726
TEMPERATURE:   35
WIND: NNE 20

8,600 is the listed capacity of Roos Field. 

 

It’s possible there were 4,000 at the beginning of the game; there were less than 2,000 at the end of the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, VMeister said:

8,600 is the listed capacity of Roos Field. 

 

It’s possible there were 4,000 at the beginning of the game; there were less than 2,000 at the end of the game. 

Very possible. Sounds more like what I heard.

Announced game Attendance is tickets sold and not butts in seats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...