SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Attendance

SiouxFan100

I am a huge fan of Around the Horn on ESPN, hosted by Tony Reali.  For those of us who religiously watch the show, we know Mr. Reali is a big NCAA critic as well as a huge FCS fan, especially during the playoffs.  

If we truly wanted to get something accomplished in letting the NCAA know it is absolutely garbage that Nicholls is hosting this game, I suggest we all tweet Mr Reali this article in hopes it would get national exposure. 

There are several angles here: 

1. Inappropriate facilities- tents

2. NCAA being money hungry

3. Nicholls having money for new athletic complex, but not enough for visiting locker rooms 

4. Unfairness of the logistics of a tent,  portable showers, toilets,  etc. 

5. NCAA's own rule book suggesting hosting universities need certain standards

6. Several others listed on this site.  

Perhaps this may be an avenue to publicity for this atrocity we are now seeing in playoff sanctioned NCAA Division 1 FCS Football.  

Absolute bull$%!# 

@TonyReali 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Nice job of editing. I'll have to figure that technique out some day.

The tents seem to be a big concern for some. They've been using them for a couple of years now, and Saturday will be the last time as we will beat them and they will have new visiting locker rooms next fall. The NCAA has been well aware of this set up and let them continue, so we just need to tighten up our chin straps and play ball. Like South Dakota did!

Predicting they'll have 9,500 fans on Saturday and come out OK on their bid.

Final attendance average comes in at 8,340 per game.  Almost an 11% drop from the 2018 season.  First time since moving into the Alerus Center that not a single game went over the 9,000 mark.

Highest attended game was UC Davis with 8,987.  Lowest turnout was 7,485 for the finale against SUU.

Hopefully the successful season translates into more butts in the seats for next year, like it did following the 2015 & 2016 seasons.

Attendance Wiki has been updated.

Valpo on a Thursday to open the season.
SDSU - 2nd home game not until 1st weekend in October
MSU - Back to back home games, hope October is nice next year
USD - Halloween game
SIU - Regular season finale

Will be interesting to see how attendance shapes up next year. South Dakota school should help out a bit but Thursday game won't help to start the year.

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Valpo on a Thursday to open the season...........................

Will be interesting to see how attendance shapes up next year. South Dakota school should help out a bit but Thursday game won't help to start the year.

I never really understand the odd Thursday night opener every few years.  Maybe if the Alerus was sold out every game, but obviously attendance is not great, so why handicap yourself by doing this?  Not a real exciting opponent either that is going to entice fans to make an extra effort to get out on a Thursday night.

Home opener is typically one of the best attended games of the year.  2018 was also a Thursday against Mississippi Valley, and drew 8,900.  Probably could have cracked 10,000 if that game would have been on Saturday.

8 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I never really understand the odd Thursday night opener every few years.  Maybe if the Alerus was sold out every game, but obviously attendance is not great, so why handicap yourself by doing this?  Not a real exciting opponent either that is going to entice fans to make an extra effort to get out on a Thursday night.

Home opener is typically one of the best attended games of the year.  2018 was also a Thursday against Mississippi Valley, and drew 8,900.  Probably could have cracked 10,000 if that game would have been on Saturday.

Labor Day Saturday is tough to get people to give up. I know quite a few people who skipped the opener against Drake because of it this year. You're going to lose some fans either way you do it.

I can see not wanting a game on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. 

That said, can we get the faculty to schedule "show up*, sign in, and get 50 points" type exams on the Friday of Labor Day weekend so we have students on that Thursday night. So many of them skip class on that Friday and leave Thursday it seems. 

*hangover optional 

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I can see not wanting a game on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. 

That said, can we get the faculty to schedule "show up*, sign in, and get 50 points" type exams on the Friday of Labor Day weekend so we have students on that Thursday night. So many of them skip class on that Friday and leave Thursday it seems. 

*hangover optional 

Face it, Grand Forks and most of North Dakota is a ghost town on labor day weekend unless one of the lucky area's with a lake. At least Thursday Night games can attract the locals and prevent out-of-city fans from having to choose between Lake Days or Football. 

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

For the GF area folks, a Thursday game could be seen as better than a Saturday game, as it's still lake season for a lot of people and they dont want to miss one of the final weekends at lake.  I think students like it too, as it's a reason to party. 

25 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Face it, Grand Forks and most of North Dakota is a ghost town on labor day weekend unless one of the lucky area's with a lake. At least Thursday Night games can attract the locals and prevent out-of-city fans from having to choose between Lake Days or Football. 

Ha didnt read your post before I replied.   Agree!

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

Final attendance average comes in at 8,340 per game.  Almost an 11% drop from the 2018 season.  First time since moving into the Alerus Center that not a single game went over the 9,000 mark.

Highest attended game was UC Davis with 8,987.  Lowest turnout was 7,485 for the finale against SUU.

Uffffffff.......not good.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Valpo on a Thursday to open the season.
SDSU - 2nd home game not until 1st weekend in October
MSU - Back to back home games, hope October is nice next year
USD - Halloween game
SIU - Regular season finale

With that late of a 2nd home game I don't see attendance average being a whole lot better next year.  It seems that oddly enough when weather is decent for tailgating more people end up going indoors to watch the game.  As season wears on attendance dips. 

Though I expect that SDSU game to be well attended as I'm betting it's potato bowl.