SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Attendance

SiouxFan100

14 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

What does it say about him......and other UND grads that have done the same thing? Just curious. Is it typical.....no but should not an issue for taking a shot at someone's character.

To each his own, brah.  You take shots and Bubba and the staff repeatedly, including former staff.  "character" isn't off limits in the world.  

15 hours ago, dakotadan said:

Give the students a reason to show up and stay for the entire game. Put a good product on the field.

Punishing them isn't going to help with their attendance.

Punishing them? I don’t think nearly every DI football school punishes their students by having them sit at the 25 yard line. 

Lastly, it is not just the product on the field that dictates attendance. It is about a 50/50 split with wins and entertainment.  There are countless schools around the country with average to below average teams that consistently have a packed house with a great atmosphere. University of Michigan, University of Nebraska, and University of Montana are just a few places where the attendance is still superb despite poor results. Same with UND hockey: attendance remains good even when the product is not good on the ice. 

Point is the Alerus Center gameday Presentation needs to yet improve. The UND athletics staff and Alerus Center gameday crew both have a lot of work to do. 

Why can't UND release all the unused tickets and sell to the general public like they do for hockey tickets?  Thursday at 10am, any student tickets not claimed by students go up for sale to the general public as general admission tickets. Have a group rate for buying 4 or mire tickets to make it more affordable for families.  Sections would remain alcohol free.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Why can't UND release all the unused tickets and sell to the general public like they do for hockey tickets?  Thursday at 10am, any student tickets not claimed by students go up for sale to the general public as general admission tickets. Have a group rate for buying 4 or mire tickets to make it more affordable for families.  Sections would remain alcohol free.

There's no lack of tickets available right now. If somebody really wants to sit in the student section, I'd think they can just go sit there. 

39 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

There's no lack of tickets available right now. If somebody really wants to sit in the student section, I'd think they can just go sit there. 

Of course that is well known that you can go sit there when it is empty in the second half.  But instead of hoping that people figure that out and move to those better seats in the open student section, why not sell those seats to fans that otherwise wouldn't go tot he game because the only place they can get 6 seats together is at the 10 yard line. 

I have a novel idea    Ask the students!! Give them a chance to give feedback, honor that feedback if reasonable.  If it works , great,  if not move on.    By the way,  I've been going to games for the last 30 years and each week I sit between the 40's whenever I want on either side.   Those that stand on the catwalk (and bitch because the student section is empty) should be asked to FILL THE VOID and sit between the 40's on the visitors side for a game.  Imagine what a difference and influence  that would make to the TV viewers.  It may add to the energy of the team, the cheer team and the whole stadium. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Of course that is well known that you can go sit there when it is empty in the second half.  But instead of hoping that people figure that out and move to those better seats in the open student section, why not sell those seats to fans that otherwise wouldn't go tot he game because the only place they can get 6 seats together is at the 10 yard line. 

It being general admission. It's already first come first serve. 

Those 6 people wouldn't be guaranteed to sit together anyway. Unless you're talking about turning the student section into reserved seats.

On 9/29/2019 at 4:38 PM, Oxbow6 said:

Short answer......no.

Not being done for attendance improvement purposes. See my previous post.

It would be done for common sense purposes. Students who don’t stay for more than half of the game should not get the midfield. Every major DI program athletic director agrees with me, so I am steadfast with my stance of this. 

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

It being general admission. It's already first come first serve. 

Those 6 people wouldn't be guaranteed to sit together anyway. Unless you're talking about turning the student section into reserved seats.

Students have until 10am Tuesday to pick up their tickets for the football game. After that, the rest go on sale as general admission seats to the public. No reserved seats. 

16 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Students have until 10am Tuesday to pick up their tickets for the football game. After that, the rest go on sale as general admission seats to the public. No reserved seats. 

So you're saying the general public has a chance to get 50 yard line seats right now on the visiting side and they still go empty.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I am really surprised and kind of appalled by how many people are missing the point on this. Contacting a few students or sitting yourself down in a certain seat is not going to do a damn thing. 

This is a functional process issue and needs to be addressed at the large scale level. 

Large scale level is put out a team people.... students and casual fans want to come watch .

• Upvote 1

I sit on the East side, and in general I am usually quite impressed with the turnout of the fans that fill in that side of the stadium, whether there is 7,000 people in attendance or 11,000.  Obviously the explanation is that the bulk of the season ticket holders land on the East side.  

It pains me to look at the gaping hole that forms in the middle on the West side as the season progresses.  I am confident that there are few, if any, other DI schools across the country that places their students directly behind the opposing bench.  Hell, as far as I know, the NCAA forbids it in the case of NCAA playoff games.  Most student sections are located in the end zones or corners.  We don't have endzone seating, but there is plenty of corner seating to the north of the band that would accommodate the UND students that actually attend the game.

Some may question the significance of the "optics" of the empty West side on TV.  But if I was a high schoold kid, or had a high school kid being recruited by UND,  I would come away unimpressed with the fan support after watching a game on TV, since that is the area the cameras are pointed at all game long.

There are lots of season ticket holders outside the 20 yard lines on the East side that could be interested in sitting in between the 40's on the West side.

Hell, the atmosphere is so important to me personally, that I wouldn't mind if the field was completely flipped so that the entire West side became the Champions Club side, just so it looks better on TV.

And I don't want to hear any BS about student fees.  They agreed to the fees that they pay.  And the fees that they pay are far less than the fees that most Champions Club members pay.  If anyone really feels that students would be "punished" by moving them 100 feet to the North, has really been living a charmed life.........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

There were games when 50 students attended.  It dropped fast as weather did, just like now.

Games also weren't on tv back then....easy to stay home and watch the game on tv now, wasn't an option then.  Memorial Stadium was much easier to get to as well.  Sounds like there are shuttles from campus to the Alerus, but back in the day it was pretty easy to just walk to the stadium whenever you wanted to go.  

There could definitely be better presentation/in game experience by the Alerus, but bottom line you need to win more and not crap the bed in every big home game when we feel like we are actually gaining momentum.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Hell, the atmosphere is so important to me personally, that I wouldn't mind if the field was completely flipped so that the entire West side became the Champions Club side, just so it looks better on TV.

Move both the fans and the team to the other side so the home crowd and the team are always in the background when on TV.  There is probably some reasoning as to why the team and fans are on the side they are now, but seems like it's something that should be considered.  Would certainly give a much better look from a TV perspective. 

And I'm in full agreement with moving the students over at least one section.  The hardcore students will make sure they get inside somewhat early and still have pretty good seats on what, the 30-35 yard line?  Those are still pretty good seats! 

• Upvote 1

I live across the state and honestly would come to more games if there was an on campus stadium, preferably outdoors.  

Last game I attended was the Northern Arizona game that clinched the Big Sky.  Seemed like when I was a student during the D2 days (never missed a game at the Al) the band was more involved with the students and there was just more of a buzz in the crowd.  That NAU game was the biggest game in the school's DI history, and it just wasn't like the game meant that much. 

I'd be for a move outside.  Unlikely, I know, but something needs to change.  What I wouldn't give for the Alerus to be rocking North Alabama style every game.

• Upvote 1