SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Attendance

SiouxFan100

UND can't win here.  Moving students (however sensible) will generate heat, especially in an age of cost awareness, increasing student fees, etc.  And offering even the most loyal STH a chance to move across the field solely to get closer to the 50 will not generate nearly enough positive PR to justify the grief.

The Alerus Center really isn't made for balance.  The wider concourse and greater amenities are all along the east ("home") side, where the bulk of the prime seating is currently situated.  Are there really that many STH or prospective STH clamoring for midfield seats on the west?

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

UND can't win here.  Moving students (however sensible) will generate heat, especially in an age of cost awareness, increasing student fees, etc.  And offering even the most loyal STH a chance to move across the field solely to get closer to the 50 will not generate nearly enough positive PR to justify the grief.

The Alerus Center really isn't made for balance.  The wider concourse and greater amenities are all along the east ("home") side, where the bulk of the prime seating is currently situated.  Are there really that many STH or prospective STH clamoring for midfield seats on the west?

No RP doesn't help on any level either.

24 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'm swinging the other way......first time I've said this but the students need to go from their current sections. Yesterday was just pathetic. My daughter hasn't missed a game and stays to the end but it's her and just 37 other students. Find a different section for them. 

As hard as it may be given what students account for revenue wise, I agree. Need to seriously consider reconfiguring.  Bad look was even worse at midfield yesterday.  TV audiences get a really bad impression. Suggest it. See what student reps have to say. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

You were very close, you could of brought 6 more fans with you from the volleyball game.

On that note.......VB at 11. FB at noon. Who is in charge of scheduling. VB was empty. The VB team isn't very good but those ladies deserved better attendance especially on a big UND sports weekend.......then those in charge schedule soccer and VB at 1 pm on Sunday. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Just me but I wouldn’t expect a lot of complaints from the students if they were moved down one section / or split half of the fifty yard section with season ticket holders

They were already moved one section over from section 215. Move them over another section and if attendance doesn't improve in a couple of years, move them over again . Then they would have the 3 sections starting in the corner, still better than most Div I in that they start on the 30 yard line and go to end of end zone.

15 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

On that note.......VB at 11. FB at noon. Who is in charge of scheduling. VB was empty. The VB team isn't very good but those ladies deserved better attendance especially on a big UND sports weekend.......then those in charge schedule soccer and VB at 1 pm on Sunday. 

The Summit League has different scheduling routines than the BSC.

Scheduled DU at 11 am on Tuesday too.

6 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

UND FB is an independent..........no reason to that game needed to start at noon.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Denver Match was a rescheduled match due to weather.  Once a match has postponed its up to the 2 institutions to figure it out.  Denver wanted to get in on Monday Night, play Tuesday and get home Tuesday night.  If they play Tuesday night. They miss school on Wednesday...potentially 3 days of school.  The way it was scheduled was that they really missed 1.5.  Out of class time matters to every school and every athletic department.  This was very apparent when they tried get that match rescheduled due to weather.

1 minute ago, the green team said:

It did if they wanted the game to be televised

1 minute ago, the green team said:

It did if they wanted the game to be televised

So Midco said a 100 pm start was completely unreasonable? 

14 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This is exactly the challenge.  It's absolutely a no win situation. Especially when someone considers how reliant UND is with student fees towards athletics in the division 1 era. 

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

I'm looking at the calendar of Midco "properties" and was a hectic day for them.  I believe they had UND-Montana State on a Midco, NDSU-SDSU at 230 on another Midco, USD-SIU at 4 immediately following UND-Montana State and UND v BSU in Hockey following NDSU-SDSU.

I know I'm very much in the minority. But I love early games.  Noon, 11am- the earlier the better.  I guess, I'm used to some of that Big 10 start times where one of my kids went to grad school.  But probably around here- I bet that attitude would only be shared with 1 out of every 1000 people here or so. I'm a weirdo :)

1 hour ago, the green team said:

I know I'm very much in the minority. But I love early games.  Noon, 11am- the earlier the better.  I guess, I'm used to some of that Big 10 start times where one of my kids went to grad school.  But probably around here- I bet that attitude would only be shared with 1 out of every 1000 people here or so. I'm weirdo :)

i guess i'm one of the weirdo's also.  love the noon start, but I don't tailgate so that could be why.  I like to get up get a couple things done than watch football.  Game is done and home by 3:30 and have rest of Saturday to do whatever.

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Listen to last week Bill Chaves podcast. Alex and Bill talk about this. 1:00pm is manageable but in Midco's opinion they prefer the noon start so that the it is that much easier on the crew as they have to tear down, move to the Ralph and set up again. They have done 1:00pm before and the main reasoning seems to be depending on possibilities of overtimes that could extend the game. The majority of the UND athletic staff also are responsible for being at both with time after each game and before the next. I still like 1pms, but there are alot of factors involved. I also wondered if Midco had a opinion to get the game started and majority in before they had NDSU/SDSU, even though they showed UND on the secondary channel. I do wish they would've started on MidcoSN 1 and MidcoSN2, and switched to just SN1 if needed. But look at the NCAA tournament, ESPN will keep lacrosse on till the end of the game and start the more important regional games to ESPNU until it can start on ESPN2. 

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I don’t know when the UND noon kickoff was decided, but Crookston played Mankato in the Alerus Saturday evening due to poor field conditions in Crookston.    

Crookston lost 81-0 in front of 556 very dedicated fans! 

I see their final "home" game is also at the Alerus Center on November 9th. Crookston's field must be just a cow pasture since they haven't played there since Sept 28th 

Big sky chose our conference games dates a few years ago, but not the start times - with FB, the conference schedule is planned more into the future.  This schedule was out before we left. We decided to give an agreed upon two year FB notice along with early exit in other sports and therefor no exit fee for UND. Also agreed to be an independent in FB, therefor no conference awards.

What I heard this morning is that the game start is a local thing and Chaves agreed to a 12:00 start with entities involved having their input. As mentioned just as of late here, quite a few things to factor in.

Also think an early start would give us a little (as light as it may be) advantage being MSU is in an later time zone.

3 hours ago, northernraider said:

I see their final "home" game is also at the Alerus Center on November 9th. Crookston's field must be just a cow pasture since they haven't played there since Sept 28th 

Well then I don’t think crowd control should’ve been a factor with two games in a day. :lol:

3 hours ago, northernraider said:

They also lost to USF at the Alerus two weeks ago with 357 in attendance.   Mankato must have brought 200 fans.  Now 0-8.

Northern St is the next visitor to the Alerus.  Their home field is now a beat up swamp.

13 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Maybe they could compromise and open up the top level of that section. 

On 10/27/2019 at 4:02 PM, Kab said:

Student attendance yesterday was embarrassing 

On 10/27/2019 at 6:48 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

The student attendance hasn’t been good for years. Thus, I seriously want UND athletics to move the student section down and allow season ticket holders to occupy the midfield areas on BOTH sides. Better alumni relations AND aesthetics, especially for visiting recruits. The current student seating situation is an outdated DII model and doesn’t make sense to me at all. 

On 10/27/2019 at 7:46 PM, Kab said:

This is the response I received from Chaves when I asked him about moving students.

”Given the support our student body provides to us annually, candidly - we have not discussed moving them from their seating.

On 10/27/2019 at 8:30 PM, Oxbow6 said:

I'm swinging the other way......first time I've said this but the students need to go from their current sections. Yesterday was just pathetic. My daughter hasn't missed a game and stays to the end but it's her and just 37 other students. Find a different section for them. 

On 10/27/2019 at 8:57 PM, Stockdamhockey said:

As hard as it may be given what students account for revenue wise, I agree. Need to seriously consider reconfiguring.  Bad look was even worse at midfield yesterday.  TV audiences get a really bad impression. Suggest it. See what student reps have to say. 

Seating Charts of FCS Div I U's in our area regarding STUDENT SEATING:

Montana - Maroon Sections
Image result for montana state football stadium seating chart

Montana State - Brown Sections
Image result for montana state football stadium seating chart

South Dakota Sate - Black Sections
Related image

South Dakota - Gray Sections
Football Seating Chart 2019

North Dakota State - Green Sections
image.png.9e847e6d93dcdebcd3b6e5483c9ece28.png

• Like 1