SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Attendance

SiouxFan100

11 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Has Chaves done ANYTHING since he has been AD?  Serious question.

Hired the mbb coach Sather.

Hired the w soccer coach, and they have had a record winning season.

Hired the vb coach.  He needs a few years.

Arguably, put pressure on Bubba to replace his OC.   Same with Berry with his former assistant.

Feel much more comfortable with his coaching decisions, and he seems to have candidates lined up for the ones that may be open.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Student Sections, in summary:

Montana starts at 30 yard line on one side and wraps around into part (1/3) of that adjacent end zone.
Montana State is behind one end zone and adds a very small part wrapping over to 10 yard line only on one side.
SD is 15 yard line to goal line on one end.
SDSU is all behind one end zone.
NDSU starts at about 32 yard line on one side and wraps around into half of that adjacent end zone.

UND (214-213-212) has on one side, midfield (some on both sides of the 50) and continues north to the 15 yard line. Two sections 214 & 213, are better than any of our neighbors.

If we moved the student sections over (north) two sections, giving them Sections 212, 211, & 210; they would then be from the 30 yard line to the end of the end zone. That would still be just as good of seating as any of our neighbors. The time to move them is now (like this next off season) when their attendance is poor rather than after next season when the Alerus should be filling up - next year the Hawks could have very few loses?

Next week, do our neighbors give their students as many seats as we do?  3 sections of 725 seats each = 2,175 or 17.7% of seats, capacity is 12,283.

• Like 1

I believe it's been brought up before but what good does it do to move the student section if there aren't fans waiting to purchase tickets to fill up the space? Either way the space is empty at least students come to the early season games and homecoming. I think student attendance is an issue of the times we live in and not something that can be solved with giving away food or tuition. Even their attendance at hockey games is waning and other than the band and a few "Sioux Yah Yahs" they don't bring the energy anymore. 

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

I believe it's been brought up before but what good does it do to move the student section if there aren't fans waiting to purchase tickets to fill up the space? Either way the space is empty at least students come to the early season games and homecoming. I think student attendance is an issue of the times we live in and not something that can be solved with giving away food or tuition. Even their attendance at hockey games is waning and other than the band and a few "Sioux Yah Yahs" they don't bring the energy anymore. 

We will disagree on "waning". Like with FB I don't think that last 2 hockey seasons helped spark interest with any demographic but kids still have lined up before the doors open at the Ralph for the marquee rivalries of Canisius and BSU so far. 

As far as FB......the students need just 2 sections....not 3 and they need to be 211 and 212 IMO. Throw in 210 if they need 3 sections. In 3 sections Saturday there might have been 300 students and that's a generous estimate.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

UND Student Seating - Blue Sections 
On one side of the field, both sides of the 50 and to the north to about the 15. Upper and lower sections.
Image result for university of north dakota football seating

I've been a defender of the student section here, but last weekend was embarrassing and has convinced me to make a move.  Turn 214 into season tickets, leave the band in 212, and have 211, 212, and 213 as the student section.  Section 213 is still good seats behind the opponent's bench and will be where most students (not including the band) sit.  I like the idea of having the band in the heart of the student section should 211 ever actually fill.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CMSioux said:

If you converted 213 and 214 for fans to purchase as season tickets, which fan do you think has a better chance of actually showing up?  College kids who get tickets for free or fans that have paid Champion Club fees and ticket prices to sit there?  I think there are fans that would be willing to purchase season tickets in those two sections.  Especially with our move to the MVFC.  When the moved the student sections over one section and opened up Section 215, that section sold out of season tickets pretty quickly (at lease the lower part of that section.

I think that the move to the MVFC will increase interest in UND football due to the consistent home games against the Dakota schools.  Hopefully students start coming to games again when familiar opponents return.  If not, it's time to move them.  I absolutely think that the ultimatum needs to be laid down to the students saying they may lose their seats if they don't start showing up. 

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If you converted 213 and 214 for fans to purchase as season tickets, which fan do you think has a better chance of actually showing up?  College kids who get tickets for free or fans that have paid Champion Club fees and ticket prices to sit there?  I think there are fans that would be willing to purchase season tickets in those two sections.  Especially with our move to the MVFC.  When the moved the student sections over one section and opened up Section 215, that section sold out of season tickets pretty quickly (at lease the lower part of that section.

I think that the move to the MVFC will increase interest in UND football due to the consistent home games against the Dakota schools.  Hopefully students start coming to games again when familiar opponents return.  If not, it's time to move them.  I absolutely think that the ultimatum needs to be laid down to the students saying they may lose their seats if they don't start showing up. 

We’ve already waited too long. Needing “familiar opponents” is an excuse I don’t buy, I’m afraid. Students need to be moved for next season. When 215 was opened for Champions Club seating a few years back, it filled up relatively quickly. Opening 214 to season ticket holders will fill that section up consistently. 

• Upvote 1

If UND could only draw 8600 vs #9 Montana St. doubt a move to the MVC vs. the likes of Mo. St., WIU, Indiana St., SIU and the like will help with attendance. NDSU, USD and SDU.....yes but that's probably it.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If UND could only draw 8600 vs #9 Montana St. doubt a move to the MVC vs. the likes of Mo. St., WIU, Indiana St., SIU and the like will help with attendance. NDSU, USD and SDU.....yes but that's probably it.

It will take time but rivalries could develop with a few of the other schools (like UNI) if there are good matchups or playoff matchups over the years.  It's not hard to beat the excitement level of playing Cal Poly or UC Davis.  If we never play those schools again I wouldn't care.

Today’s students do not see historic rivalries with the Dakota schools. Maybe South Dakota, but they have not been conference mates since before this group of students started at UND. Yes NDSU will resume the rivalry immediately, but the Coyotes and Jackrabbits, as well as UNI have not been conference rivals during the last 5 or more years. Rivals for us old-timers, yes. Current students -has to have time to develop again.

Keep in mind that MVC will include teams that are a closer distance than the Big Sky opponents.  This may make it easier for fans traveling to UND home games from these rival schools to attend the game.  This equals more revenue for the Alerus.  I agree 100% to move the students away from the 50 yard line.   Looking at the student section last week was horrible.   There were maybe 200 students there.  They could have fit all the students in the first two rows.  I purchase tickets to attend on an individual basis or buy from friends that aren't going to the game.  If I could purchase season tickets between the 40's and on the lower deck I would.   It doesn't make sense to purchase season tickets on the 10 yard line, upper deck right now.   Although I could get them and then go sit in the student section, there are plenty of seats there!

• Upvote 1

If they didn't move the student section over, anyone have an opinion on selling the upper sections of 212, 213, and 214 to the public, and keeping the students in the lower part of each section?  The upper area is elevated, so students standing shouldn't be an issue, and the students who do go would be more concentrated at least.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

If they didn't move the student section over, anyone have an opinion on selling the upper sections of 212, 213, and 214 to the public, and keeping the students in the lower part of each section?  The upper area is elevated, so students standing shouldn't be an issue, and the students who do go would be more concentrated at least.

Students should be moved down to either end of the opposing side.  Saturday student "crowd" was embarrassing and probably produced the opposite effect of having a large boisterous section directly behind bench.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Students should be moved down to either end of the opposing side.  Saturday student "crowd" was embarrassing and probably produced the opposite effect of having a large boisterous section directly behind bench.

They put MSU to sleep.  Worked well.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

With the trouble MSU had near the end with crowd noise, just think what’s possible.

Yes    ^^^   , the advantage of timely loud home crowd noise - this can not be over emphasized. The Alerus crowd had this down in it's early years and IMO this game was the closet to that in the Bubba era (and the Hawks Nest was less than 2/3 full towards the end).
Wondering if UND's athletic department needs to think this one through? Once understood, it's a no brain-er.

18 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

We’ve already waited too long. Needing “familiar opponents” is an excuse I don’t buy, I’m afraid. Students need to be moved for next season. When 215 was opened for Champions Club seating a few years back, it filled up relatively quickly. Opening 214 to season ticket holders will fill that section up consistently. 

At this time (Bubba's 6th yr) the student sections should of already been moved away from mid field (our neighbors have already all done so) and by now I was hoping we would be posting about how hard it is to get tickets. Win and they will come!

Would like to move the band 1 section to where students are

Move students to the bottom 3 sections to the north of the band 

let season ticket holders move to where the students were

come up with some family plan seats in the upper sections

sell some different kind of ticket packages, 2 game, 3 game, throw in a hot dog or 2

get the place filled up 

get rid of hornbachers as a sponsor and get Hugo’s on board with some promotions 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

The students need to be moved out of 214 as I would move my season tickets over there in a second. Plus, during playoffs they can't be behind the opposing teams bench anyway so might as well move them to where they can be permanently. 

I was going to post this, glad you did. This needs to be factored in the decision making progress as well. 
No committee, seems like things go a little north in those meetings. Those that have the power, BANG get her done.