SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Is it easy to look at the schedule as a whole and crap your pants.....luckily we take things day by day and even that might get us looking too far ahead.  If we focus hour by hour and put our best effort forward I think we can do better than what most are thinking.  I agree it's the hardest schedule in program history.

Until next year, and the year after that, and the year after that!! ;)

This is the world we live in now.  

54 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

And he allowed his OC to absolutely squander the careers of two all time great backs in school history.

How many All-Conference and All- American honors did John and Brady have? Hardly "squandered." Now, the career of a backup kicker in the 90's...that was squandered.

40 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

How many All-Conference and All- American honors did John and Brady have? Hardly "squandered." Now, the career of a backup kicker in the 90's...that was squandered.

Backup kicker?

8 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I worry that 7-5 would have had us firmly on the playoff bubble, but instead we'll be on the outside looking in at 6-5.

I wonder the same thing.   We should have found a cup cake to schedule for a win.  A bye isn't going to get us anything.    I'm still think we can pull off 7 wins but it sure would have been nice to go 8-4.   At any rate, as others said, no playoffs, no Bubba.   I really felt earlier that no PLAYOFF WIN this year, no Bubba.   He's had plenty of time to get things done and it's not happening.    So why didn't we schedule a twelfth game?   No one available?

• Upvote 1

This year's home game schedule is wacked, you can predict that attendance will go down (although having the sixth home game could help - although that sixth game is November 23rd so the weather and the start of UND hockey will probably negate that. 

Only two home games during the nicest weather of August-September and two home games in late November? That basically means two games with mostly hard-core tailgaters - no casual fan is going to buy a one-game tailgate pass in November. Plus once hockey season starts walk-up attendance will take a hit - people only have so many dollars to spend. 

I get the "Just win and they will come" mantra but the reality is this year's schedule is not very casual fan friendly.  

Is it because we are basically an independent and had to take what we can get? 

• Upvote 1

Well, If Massey Ratings mean anything to you, here is how they predicted UND's chances of winning each game this season.  UND is favored in only 3 games (well actually 4 because they didn't predict the Drake game but UND is likely predicted to win that one.  That being said, of the other 7 games where their changes of winning is less that 50%,  UND is within 7 points or less in 4 or those games for the score predictor.  So per the Massey predictor, we are favored or within 1 score of 8 opponents this year.  Massey is yet another ranking, so take it with a grain of salt.  But 8 wins is certainly not out of the question. (But neither is 4 I guess too).

massey3.jpg

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Well, If Massey Ratings mean anything to you, here is how they predicted UND's chances of winning each game this season.  UND is favored in only 3 games (well actually 4 because they didn't predict the Drake game but UND is likely predicted to win that one.  That being said, of the other 7 games where their changes of winning is less that 50%,  UND is within 7 points or less in 4 or those games for the score predictor.  So per the Massey predictor, we are favored or within 1 score of 8 opponents this year.  Massey is yet another ranking, so take it with a grain of salt.  But 8 wins is certainly not out of the question. (But neither is 4 I guess too).

massey3.jpg

Massey isn’t reliably accurate till about game 4 of the current season. The predictions right now are if we had played last season since there is obviously no data for this season yet.

19 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

How many screen passes did you count in their career? We’ve covered this topic pretty well on this board. John may have been drafted with Freund as OC. Instead he was asked to pound the A gap when the other team knew exactly what was coming. So, yea, squandered.

To be honest he likely would've been drafted with any other FCS OC other than Rudy. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

massey3.jpg

I predict our score with NDSU will be much closer than 40-7.  I think our chances of winning that game are a lot higher than 1%.  I see a lot of potential next season.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CMSioux said:

This year's home game schedule is wacked, you can predict that attendance will go down (although having the sixth home game could help - although that sixth game is November 23rd so the weather and the start of UND hockey will probably negate that. 

Only two home games during the nicest weather of August-September and two home games in late November? That basically means two games with mostly hard-core tailgaters - no casual fan is going to buy a one-game tailgate pass in November. Plus once hockey season starts walk-up attendance will take a hit - people only have so many dollars to spend. 

I get the "Just win and they will come" mantra but the reality is this year's schedule is not very casual fan friendly.  

Is it because we are basically an independent and had to take what we can get? 

Weather doesn't seem to be a factor for hockey.  I think the schedule is actually pretty good, and it absolutely isn't the schedule's fault if attendance is bad.

Drake - at home for the first game of the season
Sam Houston - traditional power early in the season - huge game for both programs
UC Davis - top 10 FCS team
Montana State - top 25 FCS team with large fan base
UNC and SUU - should be important games with playoff implications.

Sets up to be a quality schedule, IMO.  If there is poor attendance, it will either be because the team isn't in the playoff picture, or because we have a lousy fan base.

Schedule goes home, away, home, away, home, away, away, home, away, home, home.  Seems pretty balanced in that department too.  

Edit: you missed the Oct 5 home game.

• Upvote 1

The Defense will play big! You have the best Secondary in the conference! They will fill the gap left open by seniors left. UND finishes 10-1 with a Victory over NDSU! Not a Surprise win! Nor upset! UND will beat NDSU straight up! I said that!! Your Defense will step up and will be respected!! Mason is going to lead the Charge!! And They will follow his lead! UND has no Stress! People counting them out already!! 10-1

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Beaumont said:

The Defense will play big! You have the best Secondary in the conference! They will fill the gap left open by seniors left. UND finishes 10-1 with a Victory over NDSU! Not a Surprise win! Nor upset! UND will beat NDSU straight up! I said that!! Your Defense will step up and will be respected!! Mason is going to lead the Charge!! And They will follow his lead! UND has no Stress! People counting them out already!! 10-1

Will Cam's break out game be against Drake or NDSU?!  Love the energy!

15 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

IMO 2019 hinges on 3 things:

1.) Freund being far superior @ OC

2.) JJ and Cam et al at RB 

3.) Can defense be dominant and create TO's.

My 3 keys:

1) Nose Guard position - Can it be adequate

2) Freund being far superior @ OC 

3) Special Teams - Specifically kicking. Can they kick the ball into the end zone

I still have nightmares about the ILB position two years ago, that's why NG is my #1 key. Only as strong as your weakest link. I'm not saying the other groups is four deep with All-Americans, but it's a pretty strong unit with as few questions as I can remember (outside of NG).

• Upvote 3