SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

On 6/4/2019 at 12:38 PM, Feff said:

Here's something I'm not quite understanding from some folks on this board, why is everyone not talking about JJ being the #1 back going into this season? Why are people slotting McKinney there? JJ is a very talented runner with a big frame, he proved he has the ability to break away at times, and he had success even against stacked fronts of the previous offense. To me, JJ is the starter going in. Gordon is the second guy and will split the most carries, I don't see him struggling at all transitioning after a single season and with everyone going into a new offense, that shouldn't be an issue. McKinney will be brought in as RB in certain formations and likely on 3rd downs as an option out of the backfield. We should be fine at RB this year barring injury. 

My opinion is that if Johanneson does not lead the team in carries in 2019, the season will likely end in disappointing fashion.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

My opinion is that if Johanneson does not lead the team in carries in 2019, the season will likely end in disappointing fashion.

I'd love to see him lead the team in carries. He's a load with speed... a phenomenal combination.

I just don't think it's going to happen. His running style leads to injuries, and he had them as the third RB option in this offense this past season. That leads me to believe that it's likely that he'll be injured again as the #1 option, perhaps multiple times. 

Running back by committee is the most likely path going forward - as it has been. I think Gordon is going to have a big year and I'm excited to watch him. I hope the transfer is good enough to contribute.

Side note: losing Otis hurts. I would have accepted his LOI all day, every day, and see where his path leads. He's worth the risk. I think he's still got a future with UND football, but he's got to commit to working at it and rely on the help of others to guide him to improve. But he was needed this year. Dang it. As for the Gopher RB transfer who left, it was worth it to bring him in and see what he had, but it quickly became clear it was addition by subtraction. Best of luck to him.

33 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

I'd love to see him lead the team in carries. He's a load with speed... a phenomenal combination.

I just don't think it's going to happen. His running style leads to injuries, and he had them as the third RB option in this offense this past season. That leads me to believe that it's likely that he'll be injured again as the #1 option, perhaps multiple times. 

Running back by committee is the most likely path going forward - as it has been. I think Gordon is going to have a big year and I'm excited to watch him. I hope the transfer is good enough to contribute.

Side note: losing Otis hurts. I would have accepted his LOI all day, every day, and see where his path leads. He's worth the risk. I think he's still got a future with UND football, but he's got to commit to working at it and rely on the help of others to guide him to improve. But he was needed this year. Dang it. As for the Gopher RB transfer who left, it was worth it to bring him in and see what he had, but it quickly became clear it was addition by subtraction. Best of luck to him.

James is a Good back! Gordon don't know much about!! McKinney stays healthy he is a 1300 yard rusher and All American This year! Don't Sleep on him! Ask the guys on the Team they see what he has!! Weather one accept it or deny it!! You can't Teach what he does naturally!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Beaumont said:

James is a Good back! Gordon don't know much about!! McKinney stays healthy he is a 1300 yard rusher and All American This year! Don't Sleep on him! Ask the guys on the Team they see what he has!! Weather one accept it or deny it!! You can't Teach what he does naturally!

I love it! Let's go McKinney!!!

Not to take anything away from the other kids at all!! Look at the crumbs they gave him last year!! McKinney had to eat humble pie last year!! No doubt he should have gotten a chance!! But that's water under the bridge!! The lineman fo what they do and This kid if he gets his chance stays healthy McKinney will break every record at UND!! 

On 6/7/2019 at 9:37 AM, Beaumont said:

Sometimes it is hard to accept the weather.  It's never easy to deny it.

On 6/7/2019 at 9:09 AM, UNDColorado said:

Anyone know the health status of Adeoti? If healthy he is a proven downfield asset.

Yeah forget about him sometimes, hopefully he is back to 100% this year as it will be nice to have him back to help stretch the field at the WR position. 

On 6/7/2019 at 8:37 AM, Beaumont said:

McKinney does have a lot of god given natural talent and he will be important to the teams success this year.  However due to his size I'm not sure if he is the type of back we want to give 20-25 carries to like a featured RB may get.  He is going to be VERY important to our offense, therefore I want him healthy all year long.  I actually didn't like it last year when they put him in at the end of games to run the ball when we were running the clock out, I was afraid he'd get hurt running up the gut when the game was already over.  He was money on the sweep last year and we need him in there.  He definitely needs 10-15 touches again, some rushing the ball, some sweeps, some screens, some out wide.  I think that is how Danny will use him this year.

I think we also need JJ and Gordon to also get 10-15 touches each game.  JJ can be a bulldozer and wear them down, Gordon is mix between JJ and McKinney, then McKinney can run right by them.   If McKinney, JJ, and Gordon all get 10-15 touches a game, that means we are likely being very successful moving the ball and we are winning games.  I like having three different styles of RB's, gives us lots of options.  

I think we are all curious to see how the knew offense plays out and how each RB will fit into the offense.  It may take a few games for Danny to get a feel for what works well and what doesn't work so well.  Only problem after our first game the competition gets stiff so hopefully he figures it out quickly!   Win or lose week 2, we will have a pretty good idea after that if our offense has taken a step forward.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

McKinney does have a lot of god given natural talent and he will be important to the teams success this year.  However due to his size I'm not sure if he is the type of back we want to give 20-25 carries to like a featured RB may get.  He is going to be VERY important to our offense, therefore I want him healthy all year long.  I actually didn't like it last year when they put him in at the end of games to run the ball when we were running the clock out, I was afraid he'd get hurt running up the gut when the game was already over.  He was money on the sweep last year and we need him in there.  He definitely needs 10-15 touches again, some rushing the ball, some sweeps, some screens, some out wide.  I think that is how Danny will use him this year.

I think we also need JJ and Gordon to also get 10-15 touches each game.  JJ can be a bulldozer and wear them down, Gordon is mix between JJ and McKinney, then McKinney can run right by them.   If McKinney, JJ, and Gordon all get 10-15 touches a game, that means we are likely being very successful moving the ball and we are winning games.  I like having three different styles of RB's, gives us lots of options.  

I think we are all curious to see how the knew offense plays out and how each RB will fit into the offense.  It may take a few games for Danny to get a feel for what works well and what doesn't work so well.  Only problem after our first game the competition gets stiff so hopefully he figures it out quickly!   Win or lose week 2, we will have a pretty good idea after that if our offense has taken a step forward.  

I think what we'll see is different players each week having a lot of success.   By his own definition of offense the Fruend system will take our best players in the best match ups and attempt to exploit it.  That might be Mckinney scatting around one game, JJ pounding the next with O line push, the Jets on the outside the next, and Gordon with his mix of skills the following, and even the TE position should see a break out of sorts multiple games.  So I expect things to be 'somewhat' rounded with one of the aforementioned outweighing the others and being the key to our success each game offensively.  We will no longer apply an offensive blanket philosophy and run it out regardless of the defensive scheme and personnel.  Also, the notion of balance offense being 50% run and 50% pass is 50% stupid (Mike Leach) will ring true this year.  A short pass or series of short passes could easily take some carries away from the RB's, but with them still involved.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I think what we'll see is different players each week having a lot of success.   By his own definition of offense the Fruend system will take our best players in the best match ups and attempt to exploit it.  That might be Mckinney scatting around one game, JJ pounding the next with O line push, the Jets on the outside the next, and Gordon with his mix of skills the following, and even the TE position should see a break out of sorts multiple games.  So I expect things to be 'somewhat' rounded with one of the aforementioned outweighing the others and being the key to our success each game offensively.  We will no longer apply an offensive blanket philosophy and run it out regardless of the defensive scheme and personnel.  Also, the notion of balance offense being 50% run and 50% pass is 50% stupid (Mike Leach) will ring true this year.  A short pass or series of short passes could easily take some carries away from the RB's, but with them still involved.

Totally agree - I look for a great running game next year for two big reasons - first, the O line should have simpler schemes, better development, and better techniques.  Second - teams should be off balance and not able to dig in for an obvious run call like the last many seasons.  It is amazing what plays can develop when the defense doesn't know what's coming. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Johanneson should get 20 carries a game.  He's the one proven commodity in the RB corps.  

I’m guessing Johanneson will be the lead guy but just because he’s the only “proven” one doesn’t mean he should be the lead guy. 

2019 North Dakota Football Schedule
Aug. 31            DRAKE  
Sept. 7              at North Dakota State
Sept. 14           SAM HOUSTON STATE
Sept. 28             at Eastern Washington
Oct. 5               UC DAVIS
Oct. 12              at Idaho State
Oct. 19              at Cal Poly
Oct. 26             MONTANA STATE
Nov. 9               at Weber State
Nov. 16            NORTHERN COLORADO
Nov. 23            SOUTHERN UTAH

Looking at the 2019 scheulde, I have come to realize how brutal it really is.  If success from last year carries over to this year, it's going to be a gauntlet.  UND plays 5 playoff teams from last year. (NDSU, EWU, UC Davis, Montana St., and Weber St.)  Of those 5 teams, 4 were seeded teams.  We play 3 of those 2018 seeded teams on the road.  Oh and those 3 road games (NDSU, EWU and Weber) those teams were also the top 3 seeded teams in last years playoffs not to mention the two teams that played in the National Championship game.

So yeah , I'd say UND has a pretty tough schedule.   

25 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

2019 North Dakota Football Schedule
Aug. 31            DRAKE  
Sept. 7              at North Dakota State
Sept. 14           SAM HOUSTON STATE
Sept. 28             at Eastern Washington
Oct. 5               UC DAVIS
Oct. 12              at Idaho State
Oct. 19              at Cal Poly
Oct. 26             MONTANA STATE
Nov. 9               at Weber State
Nov. 16            NORTHERN COLORADO
Nov. 23            SOUTHERN UTAH

Looking at the 2019 scheulde, I have come to realize how brutal it really is.  If success from last year carries over to this year, it's going to be a gauntlet.  UND plays 5 playoff teams from last year. (NDSU, EWU, UC Davis, Montana St., and Weber St.)  Of those 5 teams, 4 were seeded teams.  We play 3 of those 2018 seeded teams on the road.  Oh and those 3 road games (NDSU, EWU and Weber) those teams were also the top 3 seeded teams in last years playoffs not to mention the two teams that played in the National Championship game.

So yeah , I'd say UND has a pretty tough schedule.   

Ya I agree 8 wins are going to be hard earned. Part of me feels 6 win season would even be a success. 

8 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Ya I agree 8 wins are going to be hard earned. Part of me feels 6 win season would even be a success. 

I know, I know. The schedule is brutal so we should all adjust our expectations a bit. Expect another medicore season, and it will all be okay! As a student-athlete and/or coach trying to compete, you have any idea how stupid that sounds? Man, our fan base is so overly cautious now compared to the good ol’ D2 days. 

Another 6 win season and Bubba should get the axe. This is reality in the FCS; you play the best to be the best. I can’t believe how irrationally conservative some are.

I expect 8 wins with the schedule helping UND, not hurting. 8 wins with that thing and UND could be a seeded team. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I know, I know. The schedule is brutal so we should all adjust our expectations a bit. Expect another medicore season, and it will all be okay! As a student-athlete and/or coach trying to compete, you have any idea how stupid that sounds? Man, our fan base is so overly cautious now compared to the good ol’ D2 days. 

Another 6 win season and Bubba should get the axe. This is reality in the FCS; you play the best to be the best. I can’t believe how irrationally conservative some are.

I expect 8 wins with the schedule helping UND, not hurting. 8 wins with that thing and UND could be a seeded team. 

Yep 8 wins and we will be seated.  I believe 2 bye weeks is a smart move this season.  This schedule will be a bruiser.

17 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Another 6 win season and Bubba should get the axe. 

That's what SHOULD happen.  Unfortunately, given the demise of expectations, another 6 win season and Bubba will likely get a contract extension and a pay raise.