SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

9 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

No, playing 2-4 games wouldn't have made a difference if he was also practicing all year. But with his issues coming in, and they were issue the staff was aware of, It may have been best to keep him away from all football activities and concentrate only on getting his studies and study habit in order for the first year, It may have saved him a year of eligibility by being able to be academically this year. He may have been a little behind football wise, but he could have made that up in the spring and this fall. 

As I said - it could go the other way too.  Being eligible to play football can be a motivator for getting your school work done too.  As a college freshman - a year out is a long ways away.  Having a short term goal can be more motivating.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I just think it was unwise to have one rb recruit in a class be a guy with a known academic risk. Especially with the impending graduation of two great backs.

I wasn't intending to comment on that and I agree with you.  I just don't believe that the staff neglected their duties in helping him remain eligible as another has stated.

14 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I just think it was unwise to have one rb recruit in a class be a guy with a known academic risk. Especially with the impending graduation of two great backs.

Are you saying UND did not offer any other rb's?

With UND's relative (lack of) success vs the XDSU's, wouldn't the Hawks have to go out on the limb with some recruits to revive the program with a 'project' or two?

but, you were a player, so you would have a better grasp of the realities of the situation than I do

15 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Are you saying UND did not offer any other rb's?

With UND's relative (lack of) success vs the XDSU's, wouldn't the Hawks have to go out on the limb with some recruits to revive the program with a 'project' or two?

but, you were a player, so you would have a better grasp of the realities of the situation than I do

I did not say they didn’t offer more than one back. There are plenty of good backs to go around. My opinion, with loads of hindsight, is that we should have brought in two hs backs in that class.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

I did not say they didn’t offer more than one back. There are plenty of good backs to go around. My opinion, with loads of hindsight, is that we should have brought in two hs backs in that class.

So Bubba needs to be better at winning the recruiting battles. That makes sense. Thank you for your insights Geaux 

44 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

What exactly are you suggesting? Tough to tell with your veil of passive aggression. 

No p.a.  Genuinely appreciate your response. As a dumb internet dweeb, I didn't really understand your comment about only 1 FB in the class. Your answer tells me that Bubba, with a run-first offense, is losing recruiting battles with schools at UND's level.

The point of my original comment was that the Hawks are not getting good rb's and were willing to take on a less-study focused student because they can't get the rb's that have both good scholar records and D-I level football talent. I think we are on the same page, but did not express myself clearly.

Again, I sincerely appreciate your answer. Thank you Geaux

I think we will still be ok at RB this year and I don't think the sky is falling.  McKinney will certainly be a little better fit at RB in this offense than last year, however I still have concerns that he is a bit small to be the #1 back or featured back.  However i think he should still get 10-15 touches a game in some fashion.  Once Gordon gets back in the groove of the RB position I think he is going to impress.  I think Gordon, JJ, and McKinney can all split reps pretty evenly.  I'd probably prefer to start the game with Gordon and JJ, then mix McKinney in.   Obviously once we get started we'll see which back seems to fit best in the new offense.   God forbid if the first three are all hurt at the same time, we still have 3  RB's.  Certainly would like to not have to pull the redshirt on Skokna, but he will be able to play 4 games.  We haven't really seen Sherva and Gee in live action at UND, so hard to be 100% sure how well they would perform.  Weah would have gotten a lot of touches this year no doubt, and helped, but it is what it is.  I'm not going to sit and moan and blame everything on the coaches if the kid didn't pull his weight on the academics.  Hope he gets it figured out though and is eligible for next year, but am not going to completely hold my breathe either.  

Gordon - 1A

JJ - 1B

McKinney - 1C

Sherva - seems servicable

Dalton Gee - transfer

Skokna - Can play 4 games without burning his redshirt. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I think we will still be ok at RB this year and I don't think the sky is falling.  McKinney will certainly be a little better fit at RB in this offense than last year, however I still have concerns that he is a bit small to be the #1 back or featured back.  However i think he should still get 10-15 touches a game in some fashion.  Once Gordon gets back in the groove of the RB position I think he is going to impress.  I think Gordon, JJ, and McKinney can all split reps pretty evenly.  I'd probably prefer to start the game with Gordon and JJ, then mix McKinney in.   Obviously once we get started we'll see which back seems to fit best in the new offense.   God forbid if the first three are all hurt at the same time, we still have 3  RB's.  Certainly would like to not have to pull the redshirt on Skokna, but he will be able to play 4 games.  We haven't really seen Sherva and Gee in live action at UND, so hard to be 100% sure how well they would perform.  Weah would have gotten a lot of touches this year no doubt, and helped, but it is what it is.  I'm not going to sit and moan and blame everything on the coaches if the kid didn't pull his weight on the academics.  Hope he gets it figured out though and is eligible for next year, but am not going to completely hold my breathe either.  

Gordon - 1A

JJ - 1B

McKinney - 1C

Sherva - seems servicable

Dalton Gee - transfer

Skokna - Can play 4 games without burning his redshirt. 

^^^

thank you!

again I plan on enjoying the ride - as much as I can

i will get frustrated but will try to just have fun with my beloved UND teams!!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Not being in the pre-season Top 25 should help two-fold:  Opponents will be unsuspecting, and players should have extra motivation.  I predict we will be a playoff team this year.

We have to start 2-1 with wins against Drake and Sam. Proceed week by week from there.

• Upvote 1

Here's something I'm not quite understanding from some folks on this board, why is everyone not talking about JJ being the #1 back going into this season? Why are people slotting McKinney there? JJ is a very talented runner with a big frame, he proved he has the ability to break away at times, and he had success even against stacked fronts of the previous offense. To me, JJ is the starter going in. Gordon is the second guy and will split the most carries, I don't see him struggling at all transitioning after a single season and with everyone going into a new offense, that shouldn't be an issue. McKinney will be brought in as RB in certain formations and likely on 3rd downs as an option out of the backfield. We should be fine at RB this year barring injury. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Feff said:

Here's something I'm not quite understanding from some folks on this board, why is everyone not talking about JJ being the #1 back going into this season? Why are people slotting McKinney there? JJ is a very talented runner with a big frame, he proved he has the ability to break away at times, and he had success even against stacked fronts of the previous offense. To me, JJ is the starter going in. Gordon is the second guy and will split the most carries, I don't see him struggling at all transitioning after a single season and with everyone going into a new offense, that shouldn't be an issue. McKinney will be brought in as RB in certain formations and likely on 3rd downs as an option out of the backfield. We should be fine at RB this year barring injury. 

Because too many people forget how important the off line is regardless of who the RB is. JJ if he stays healthy, has the ability to be an All American if our oline plays well. I agree Gordon right now is right behind him. Two very good backs. How they use the other backs, when and where will depend on the oline and our off scheme. We also need to remember our receivers block well. A lot of teams don’t have that advantage. Our TE’s have also blocked well but it will be interesting to see how we use our TE’s this year. 

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

Not being in the pre-season Top 25 should help two-fold:  Opponents will be unsuspecting, and players should have extra motivation.  I predict we will be a playoff team this year.

A huge negative with the FCS poll is losses don't seem to bother ranked teams much and 'good' losses won't even drop a team at all, so that makes it hard for teams to move up.  So I'd rather have a spot at the table to start.

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

A huge negative with the FCS poll is losses don't seem to bother ranked teams much and 'good' losses won't even drop a team at all, so that makes it hard for teams to move up.  So I'd rather have a spot at the table to start.

Avoiding the cognitive dissonance with voters making us really prove our worth to them would be ideal.