SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

On 5/27/2019 at 8:59 AM, homer said:

If only Izzo was consistent in his reporting with “all athletes with Fargo ties” the publicity would not have been an issue you would have to be so concerned about.  

UND’s staff has done a great job supplying the kid with resources to succeed.  It’s up to him this summer to figure it all out.  

So if the Satter kid is academically ineligible Izzo will not report it? OK 

4 hours ago, Hawks_Win_Again said:

8,500+.. combined career (RUSHING only)  yds. (Griebel/Blubaugh) in Colo. largest classification....  not suggesting any moves cuz those two have settled in well where they are...but there's talent rostered here....if there is interest thinking outside the box a little it wouldn't be a stretch.... (Danny Woodhead - & a Brady/John hybrid....)

I think there is chance Siegel will get touches on offense. Originally recruited by Danny. Listed as a Slot/Scat back.    Moved to Defensive recruit after a camp. 

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Couldn't get away fast enough from reporting a starting fullback getting popped by an NCAA drug test before the championship game though. :lol:

Forgot about that one. Sat on the Robbins story all week and then reported it the day of the game.  Didn't feel like "breaking" it I guess.

I used to sort of like Izzo, but he's become such a Bison Homer it gets old.  I know that's the team he primarily covers, but it's become obvious he's moved from reporter to fan.  Alot like his predecessor, Steve Hallstrom.

I think the RB thing is an issue, though.  McKinney was recruited to play WR but now he is apparently #1 or #2 on the RB depth chart.  Santiago was also meant to be a WR here, but slid into the backfield due to depth issues and turned out to be on of the all time greats here.  That's awesome, but makes question our staff's eye for talent......

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Forgot about that one. Sat on the Robbins story all week and then reported it the day of the game.  Didn't feel like "breaking" it I guess.

He will probably get an award from someone or some group for his top notch reporting....

Running back situation is not ideal. I do not think UND backfield is completely incapable now - with McKinney, Johannesson, and Gordon - but it will be very susceptible to injuries. Unfortunately both McKinney and Johannesson have issues staying healthy for a full season. 

Have to hope for a bit of luck this season, which UND hasn’t been getting lately when it comes to the injury bug. 

End of the day, I still think this leaves Bubba skating on thin ice for the 2019 season. Will UND and Chaves put up with a losing season in 2019 due to the most difficult schedule of all times? 

19 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Not everybody can be as hard on the hometown program as Tom Miller and Wayne Nelson... They are truly pit bulls...

Comparatively speaking, they are.  It is getting a bit too cozy down there.  The Robbins situation sealed that theory.

• Upvote 2

I don't understand the criticism of Bubba and staff for not setting Weah and others up for success when you have no idea what was done for them.  

I don't know all the details but I do know they provide a lot of academic support for the players and have for many years.  I don't think playing in 2-4 games really took him away from his studies.  As was stated on here earlier - having something to strive for athletically motivates a lot of kids to do their school work.   At some point students have to do the work - nobody can do it for them.  Unless it is the Gopher basketball team of the Clem Haskins era. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I don't understand the criticism of Bubba and staff for not setting Weah and others up for success when you have no idea what was done for them.  

I don't know all the details but I do know they provide a lot of academic support for the players and have for many years.  I don't think playing in 2-4 games really took him away from his studies.  As was stated on here earlier - having something to strive for athletically motivates a lot of kids to do their school work.   At some point students have to do the work - nobody can do it for them.  Unless it is the Gopher basketball team of the Clem Haskins era. 

I just think it was unwise to have one rb recruit in a class be a guy with a known academic risk. Especially with the impending graduation of two great backs.

17 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

They aren’t pussy whipped by the coaches like Dom and Jeff.

When is the last time they criticized a UND team or coach? Especially Nelson. And why did Izzo have to "break" the Weah story? Where were Nelson and Miller? I can guarantee you somebody called Izzo and tipped him off. My guess is Miller and Nelson had heard from someone also. 

4 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

When is the last time they criticized a UND team or coach? Especially Nelson. And why did Izzo have to "break" the Weah story? Where were Nelson and Miller? I can guarantee you somebody called Izzo and tipped him off. My guess is Miller and Nelson had heard from someone also. 

Tom likes to have the facts in order before jumping out with a story, otherwise he would have written a bomb of a piece about your FB and Clean Victory.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

No, playing 2-4 games wouldn't have made a difference if he was also practicing all year. But with his issues coming in, and they were issue the staff was aware of, It may have been best to keep him away from all football activities and concentrate only on getting his studies and study habit in order for the first year, It may have saved him a year of eligibility by being able to be academically this year. He may have been a little behind football wise, but he could have made that up in the spring and this fall. 

9 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Why didn't Dom break the Robbins story?  We all knew on Wednesday before the game.

28 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Put the banners back up! The NCAA allowed other schools to get away with worse! (fake classes anyone?)

In all seriousness:  With all the resources that UND athletes have at their disposal and given the first year is mostly generals anyway, you have to try really hard to not end up with 2.0 GPA.  I remember as a TA getting constant emails asking about how athletes are doing in the classroom.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

Tom likes to have the facts in order before jumping out with a story, otherwise he would have written a bomb of a piece about your FB and Clean Victory.

Yep, everybody at NDSU is roided up, just like Bakken claimed in the 80's. I guess when you can't beat them you just cry "cheaters". One positive test for a substance in a supplement in hundreds if not thousands of tests in the championship run and they are all cheaters. 

4 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

No, playing 2-4 games wouldn't have made a difference if he was also practicing all year. But with his issues coming in, and they were issue the staff was aware of, It may have been best to keep him away from all football activities and concentrate only on getting his studies and study habit in order for the first year, It may have saved him a year of eligibility by being able to be academically this year. He may have been a little behind football wise, but he could have made that up in the spring and this fall. 

It could have... but it also might not have made a difference anyways.  

You could give me all the academic resources at my fingertips and get all the reminders to get my work done, but at the end of the day... it is up to me to do the work.

8 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Yep, everybody at NDSU is roided up, just like Bakken claimed in the 80's. I guess when you can't beat them you just cry "cheaters". One positive test for a substance in a supplement in hundreds if not thousands of tests in the championship run and they are all cheaters. 

everyone everywhere does it (just look at clemson last year). i don't think it's anything worth filling your diaper over

On 5/29/2019 at 8:29 PM, nd1sufan said:

So if the Satter kid is academically ineligible Izzo will not report it? OK 

I wouldn't put it that way, but do find it a little humorous and probably more sad that WDAY/Forum feel they should highlight the story because it is a "local" kid who they barely covered in high school.