SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

13 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Would having D-lineman who are great at shedding blocks and getting into the backfield be enough to overcome the lack of size on the D-Line? 

It’s a nice bonus to have in any defense. But they still need to be able to free up the LBs if they can’t make the play on their own which is pretty typical. Bennett will probably be doubled all year which would help. 

26 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It’s a nice bonus to have in any defense. But they still need to be able to free up the LBs if they can’t make the play on their own which is pretty typical. Bennett will probably be doubled all year which would help. 

Will the strategy on defense be to commit more guys to stopping the run and leaving the CB's on an island in order to make up for the lack of size?

12 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

They better. That would be sweet. One of those Unis with a million stripes. The uglier the better.

You mean like these?!!!  The one with player standing up, I think were the grey helmets.  The other pic with the player kneeling looks like a white helmet.  Either one I would love to see the team wear this year!

jersey10.jpg

jersey20.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

You mean like these?!!!  The one with player standing up, I think were the grey helmets.  The other pic with the player kneeling looks like a white helmet.  Either one I would love to see the team wear this year!

jersey10.jpg

jersey20.jpg

There’s another really really old one that had stripes on the chest even. From the 30s or something like that. That’d be my preference.

6 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

There’s another really really old one that had stripes on the chest even. From the 30s or something like that. That’d be my preference.

And they need to wear the helmets with only one bar across the face.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

So we got the two best OL in the state and the best overall athlete by a wide margin (Klein). 

Not a bad year in ND for the staff.  

But if they don't win a playoff game this year, many people will be saying that Bubba and staff should not coach these players they recruited.

55 minutes ago, shep said:

But if they don't win a playoff game this year, many people will be saying that Bubba and staff should not coach these players they recruited.

Well, just win then; that is their job.

Look at the 2019 schedule as a golden opportunity and not an ovewhelming challenge.

Standards. Expectations. Lead the men, Bubba. 

Go UND

• Upvote 1

I'm leaning towards out the door. So far I just haven't seen the players coached up or used to the best of their abilities. Too many times I've scratched my head trying to figure out why some guys were being played at the positions they were when they could have been better utilised somewhere else. These guys only have so many years. Need to make the most out of them while we can.

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well, just win then; that is their job.

Look at the 2019 schedule as a golden opportunity and not an ovewhelming challenge.

Standards. Expectations. Lead the men, Bubba. 

Go UND

By the end of the season, I may agree with you. 

9 hours ago, iramurphy said:

What reason does one have to bring this comment to our recruiting thread when we have just had an excellent start to the recruiting season?  Do we really need all of us to make the same lame comments about coaches for and against in June?  It’s a pointless discussion and our opinions aren’t going to make a lick of difference in June, July, August, Sept. We have a staff in place and they are working very hard to move the program forward. Committed recruits and prospective recruits don’t need to check this page to see who else is committed or offered and read someone here wants to discuss getting rid of coaches (one of which the kid and his family may have made a great connection to). Your  or my lame opinions about coaches belong elsewhere. 

Agreed on keeping the recruiting thread cleaner.  I've moved some posts here to the 2019 Season thread.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, iramurphy said:

What reason does one have to bring this comment to our recruiting thread when we have just had an excellent start to the recruiting season?  Do we really need all of us to make the same lame comments about coaches for and against in June?  It’s a pointless discussion and our opinions aren’t going to make a lick of difference in June, July, August, Sept. We have a staff in place and they are working very hard to move the program forward. Committed recruits and prospective recruits don’t need to check this page to see who else is committed or offered and read someone here wants to discuss getting rid of coaches (one of which the kid and his family may have made a great connection to). Your  or my lame opinions about coaches belong elsewhere. 

Good post.  Changes have been made and the ship is headed in the right direction.  And, as you mentioned, the recruiting season is off to an excellent start, which bodes well for the future.

14 hours ago, iramurphy said:

For once I agree with you on something. Bubba shook up the coaching staff and appears to be bringing in some talented kids. I am not ready to give up on him.

Many of the personnel issues that most people took issue with on here were a product of the offensive coordinator and his blunders. Yes, he was a Bubba hire and by no means should Bubba be given a pass for that because frankly it was a terrible hire from the start. Unfortunately, Rudolph and his offense were bailed out by the fact we hit home runs recruiting Santiago and Oliviera. Without them the offense is nowhere near as productive early on and the lack of creativity and imbalance in playcalling gets exposed earlier. That first year where teams didn't have game film on the offense was an aberration that was quickly rectified, and the only reason there was any continuing success was thanks to phenomenal talent. 

The real evaluation has to start here with offensive coordinator number 2. Freund I believe is capable, I think he's open-minded enough to not be stuck to a single style or philosophy and he's young enough to be more aware of what is successful in modern collegiate offenses. Whether that translates to successful playcalling and coaching is yet to be seen but I have hopes. The big knock on Bubba aside from the initial hire and why I think he's still somewhat on the hot seat is the fact that he did not make the change from Rudoph earlier, at minimum he should have been gone prior to last season. If Freund is successful that's just going to make that error loom bigger. If Freund has success with the current roster everyone will come back and say, "well what if he would have had a full year with Santiago and Oliviera?" which unfortunately can only reflect poorly on Bubba. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Does anyone know how the summer works are progressing and attendance for the new recruiting class.

I believe the freshman arrive next Monday, July 8th.  Let’s hope they all show! 

• Upvote 1