SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

On 6/11/2019 at 9:34 AM, UND1983 said:

Now compare roughly 120 other FCS programs to them, as well.  What are their expectations?  

UND should NOT have expectations of the average FCS program.

Therein lies a crucial problem with expectations. 

When the hiring practices and performance evaluations at UND Athletics are finally held to this competitive standard, then UND will be heading the right direction.

Sounds like Chaves may be willing to spearhead this much needed movement. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND should NOT have expectations of the average FCS program.

Therein lies a crucial problem with expectations. 

When the hiring and performance evaluations at UND athletics are finally held to this competitive standard, then UND will be heading the right direction.

Sounds like Chaves may be willing to spearhead this much needed movement. 

He said they expect Natty's.  So that means we should skip playoff wins, etc and just go straight to Natty's too? 

Frisco or Bust every year from here on out fukers.

On 6/11/2019 at 1:30 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Until next year, and the year after that, and the year after that!! ;)

This is the world we live in now.  

Actually, the old timers had some pretty tough Big 10 teams on their schedule.  So hardest schedule in history is a stretch but in recent history debatable.  2019 looks to be pretty salty.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

We just might go undefeated!

haven’t lost any yet

:D

Probably the most fair point of all. UND could go anywhere from undefeated to winless as of now. Yes, the predictions are probably 6 to 7 win range, but we’ll see.

The first game against Drake will be telling. Even in last year’s first game, against very bad Mississippi Valley State, you could see that the offense was going to be the Achilles’ heel for the 2018 team. Guess what? It was. 

Drake is a tough Pioneer League team. If UND lights up the scoreboard against them, then count me in as officially excited for the Freund-run offense. 

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i think a lot of people might be a little delusional about danny being OC....do you really think that a first year OC at ANY level is gonna just be an offensive wizard in the BSC against veteran DC's???  Bubba was one (or two) year too late to make a change...the schedule is brutal next year.

Danny will certainly take a few lumps his first year, and probably look back at the end of the year and think of some things he could or should have done differently. and learn for the next year.  As others have eluded though, the bar was so low after Rudy....particularly those last 3-4 game last year, that was simply pathetic.....almost anything will be an improvement.  Was a good post by whoever it was that pointed out that if we score 1 more TD a game last year we are in the playoffs.  7 point jump on average points a game is a lot, but I think with a good OC we may have gotten close to that last year.   Lets just hope the OL excels in this new offense, if they can be successful we will have a good year.

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Danny will certainly take a few lumps his first year, and probably look back at the end of the year and think of some things he could or should have done differently. and learn for the next year.  As others have eluded though, the bar was so low after Rudy....particularly those last 3-4 game last year, that was simply pathetic.....almost anything will be an improvement.  Was a good post by whoever it was that pointed out that if we score 1 more TD a game last year we are in the playoffs.  7 point jump on average points a game is a lot, but I think with a good OC we may have gotten close to that last year.   Lets just hope the OL excels in this new offense, if they can be successful we will have a good year.

Your last sentence is THE truth about this team and it's possible success or failure. It's all their in the hogs. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

IMO 2019 hinges on 3 things:

1.) Freund being far superior @ OC

2.) JJ and Cam et al at RB 

3.) Can defense be dominant and create TO's.

IMO 2019 hinges on these 3 things:
1. The offensive line
2. Play in the trenches.
3. Controlling the line of scrimmage. 

Bet none of you guessed my #1. ;)

The last two go for both sides of the ball. 

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

1. The offensive line
2. Play in the trenches.

Looking at Joe.   

21 hours ago, Dustin said:

I predict our score with NDSU will be much closer than 40-7.  I think our chances of winning that game are a lot higher than 1%.  I see a lot of potential next season.

I'd put it around 15% at most, but we'll have a much better idea after the 1st week 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

1. The offensive line
2. Play in the trenches.

You have to include catching the ball, especially when a short pass is 'equivalent' to a run play.  Drops kill drives.  We will have a series of plays that to be honest, the O-line doesn't really need to block that much.  It's called getting the ball out quickly.  The seven step drop with 4 seconds of perfect pass protection passing scheme has left the building.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

You have to include catching the ball, especially when a short pass is 'equivalent' to a run play.  

Undeniably; however, if you can't get the ball off,... well, there never was a drop because there was no pass. 

How many 1-step or 3-step throws was Kett unable to make last season. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Undeniably; however, if you can't get the ball off,... well, there never was a drop because there was no pass. 

How many 1-step or 3-step throws was Kett unable to make last season. 

I don't recall many 1 and 3 step passes in the past, is this a trick question?

You've been non stop mad crushing about a dominate O-line, it's unhealthy to obsess about it.....ha ha!!! 

All I am saying is you play with the guys you have.  Danny can help the O-line out simply by his approach to offense.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I don't recall many 1 and 3 step passes in the past, is this a trick question?

You've been non stop mad crushing about a dominate O-line, it's unhealthy to obsess about it.....ha ha!!! 

All I am saying is you play with the guys you have.  Danny can help the O-line out simply by his approach to offense.

As the season wore on, Kett looked less and less prepared for the defenses he was facing and where to go with the ball.

• Upvote 1

The schedule is tough no doubt and I might not have a very clear view of the FCS landscape, but here are my thoughts.

Obviously things change a little on an annual basis, but let's use last year as an example, you have Tier 1 (NDSU), Tier 2 (Handful of teams - let's say 2-8 that are pretty comparable), Tier 3 (little larger 9-17), and so on and so on. What I'm not so gracefully trying to say is Tier 2, last year included Weber State who was the #2 overall seed wasn't this powerhouse of a team that UND had no chance of competing with. They were a better team, but UND was within 1 point at halftime and for a bit led the game in the second half. We'll see how things play out, but like I've said, I don't believe that UND is that far away from being a really solid FCS team. I'm not predicting an undefeated season, but they should be able to hold their own against everyone on their schedule. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Were is the guy that said lm on drugs!! Well when UND goes 10-1 I'm going to be high on telling you l told you so!! I just believe they will do well and since you have those critics you don't give them a chance! I feel they have Absolutely no pressure! So they can go out play have fun and lose there minds with the love of the game!! So get Ready UND is going to  wreak shop in this conference!! NDSU 12 UND 24!! 10-1 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beaumont said:

Were is the guy that said lm on drugs!! Well when UND goes 10-1 I'm going to be high on telling you l told you so!! I just believe they will do well and since you have those critics you don't give them a chance! I feel they have Absolutely no pressure! So they can go out play have fun and lose there minds with the love of the game!! So get Ready UND is going to  wreak shop in this conference!! NDSU 12 UND 24!! 10-1 

I'm right here. 

If UND goes 10-1 with a win over NDSU, I'll donate $100 to UND's football program. I start law school at a rather expensive place this fall so $100 is a decent chunk of change for me.