SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Attendance

nodak651

31 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

1,200 more than Weber. Is the mvfc extending us an invite? 

Not sure that the 2 SU schools would favor inviting us!  Playoff time,,,,,  the choice is not their's.  If it was just somehow possible to have one of them forced into a December game at the Hawk's Nest!

• Upvote 1

That map didn't look quite as bad as I was thinking it would look after hearing it was bad.  It's a big game...I think there will be a fair amount of walk ups.  It does hurt a little it's Weber and not one of the bigger named teams.  Hopefully we can get to 10k.....but if we are just under that they can still make some noise.  If we stay unbeaten until the last home game against NAU....that one I think will bring even more than this week and we'll really need to make some noise for that one!

5 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

That map didn't look quite as bad as I was thinking it would look after hearing it was bad.  It's a big game...I think there will be a fair amount of walk ups.  It does hurt a little it's Weber and not one of the bigger named teams.  Hopefully we can get to 10k.....but if we are just under that they can still make some noise.  If we stay unbeaten until the last home game against NAU....that one I think will bring even more than this week and we'll really need to make some noise for that one!

The game vs NAU is book ended by the DU hockey series Friday and Saturday nights with a VB match Saturday as well. We will be attending all 4 events. I expect the biggest FB crowd in a long time that Saturday when UND goes for 9 straight wins and a Big Sky title.

16 hours ago, southpaw said:

I received a coupon for 50% off a patagonia jacket that I had been interested in buying but wouldn't have done otherwise.  Is the jacket not as good as it was had I paid full price?  Clearly, Patagonia felt there was a need to get more sales. I now have a high quality jacket and in the future I'll compare that to other jackets when I'm buying.  Patagonia has a quality product that will keep me returning as a customer even at full price.

The seating chart shows there is a need for more people in the stands.  Providing people who are on the fence a bigger incentive to go is not a bad idea.  There are still tickets on the shelves so why not increase the number of people accessing your product while it's still growing?

Good points.  You are clearly not a member of the IAC.  

15 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Patagonia is an established brand and they charge exorbitantly for their products. UND football on the other hand lost their brand power during the transition and is just now starting to become legit again. We are averaging over 2000 more people/game than last year. We don't need to give anything away.

And Patagonia didn't need more sales, they wanted to clear outdated inventory to make room for the new products. Not exactly how football ticket sales work.

Not a big fan of giving tickets away but not opposed to some sort of a promotion. Sell a family pack that includes a drink and hot dogs (though with the issues currently at the Alerus, not sure who would sign off on it). I mean it can't be worse than giving them away for free at Stop and Go after you fill gas?

Those football tickets are about 4 days from being outdated inventory.

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Not a big fan of giving tickets away but not opposed to some sort of a promotion. Sell a family pack that includes a drink and hot dogs (though with the issues currently at the Alerus, not sure who would sign off on it). I mean it can't be worse than giving them away for free at Stop and Go after you fill gas?

Those football tickets are about 4 days from being outdated inventory.

I'm not a fan of slashing prices 50% or just giving them away to anybody, but I would support giving large discounts to local high school/JV football teams to attend games as a team.  Would be surprised if we aren't already, actually.  And to make it completely free for those kids to attend, I can't imagine it would be too terribly difficult to get local businesses/boosters to kick in $250 per team.

18 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

I'm curious as to how many Canadians come down for und fb. Seems like it would be a good area to market the program. Maybe make Brady O the face of it 

Huh, guess I never thought about that. Does UofMantioba have any American/Canadian Football teams? 

29 minutes ago, hky said:

I'd like to see Sections 209 and 210 become General Admission. (end of both sides)  If you want a reserved seat/better seat, buy season tickets or pay ticket window price.  But if you want to bring your kids and their friends, load up the car and pay $5 a head for first come/first serve seating.  

This could be a good short-term fix.  In the future, it would get some backlash when the place starts selling out every game (due to the legacy of continuous success), and the Al decides to sell those seats at higher prices or as season tickets ;) 

35 minutes ago, hky said:

I'd like to see Sections 209 and 210 become General Admission. (end of both sides)  If you want a reserved seat/better seat, buy season tickets or pay ticket window price.  But if you want to bring your kids and their friends, load up the car and pay $5 a head for first come/first serve seating.  

Hey- my season tickets are in 209. :huh: 

When there are big plays or situations near the end of the game I follow the play down the walkway.

Attendance issues in 2016 are not the same as they were in 2001.  Sure with success comes more interest and increased attendance, but that is not the only thing.  And you can't count on a having a 8 or 9 win team every year to boost attendance.  So the "win and they will come" strategy may or may not be the answer.  The Alerus needs to make UND football games an event to go to.  No matter what our record, who the opponent.  They need to make the Alerus truly the "Home of UND football."  There needs to be more marketing of the program throughout the city.  There needs to be ticket deals where you can get a family ticket deal with tickets, concessions, etc.  They have done a great job with the Tailgate Village.  Keep that mentality in mind when thinking of new ideas.

We can't be the only college football program going through attendance woes.  There has to be examples of what other schools have done to remedy the issue.  And not just limited to college football.  Other sports at other levels too.  The Athletic departments needs to be bold and not be afraid to try new things.  The free tuition giveaway may be a little gimmicky and the students got a lot of backlash for leaving after the winner was announced.  But it worked!!  I'm no marketing expert.  But there are people at the Alerus and in the athletic department that get paid to think up some of these ideas.  Lots of possibilities.  Just need to be bold enough to try them.

• Upvote 1

Are we really having ticket woes?  Yes we could certainly get more people to games but we averaging about 10k a game right?  I don't know and haven't looked, but I would guess we are in the top half of the Big Sky in attendance this year (although I could be wrong).   There can certainly be things that can be improved, and promotions and all ideas should be considered to improve the atmosphere and Game Day experience.   I just don't know if I like painting the picture that we have woeful attendance, but yes continue to try improve it so that we can increase it even further and make it an Event each home game Saturday. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Are we really having ticket woes?  Yes we could certainly get more people to games but we averaging about 10k a game right?  I don't know and haven't looked, but I would guess we are in the top half of the Big Sky in attendance this year (although I could be wrong).   There can certainly be things that can be improved, and promotions and all ideas should be considered to improve the atmosphere and Game Day experience.   I just don't know if I like painting the picture that we have woeful attendance, but yes continue to try improve it so that we can increase it even further and make it an Event each home game Saturday. 

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I think we're third in attendence. Best in almost a decade.

Yeah, I saw a tweet (probably from Tom Miller or SFI... don't remember) but it did say UND was 3rd in attendance.  I assume behind Montana & Montana State.  UND has averaged 10,693 per game, while EWU has average 10,258 in their 3 home games, so they must be just behind UND.

2 minutes ago, Westside said:

Yeah, I saw a tweet (probably from Tom Miller or SFI... don't remember) but it did say UND was 3rd in attendance.  I assume behind Montana & Montana State.  UND has averaged 10,693 per game, while EWU has average 10,258 in their 3 home games, so they must be just behind UND.

With Montana coming to town, look for the EWU number to spike this week.  Hopefully we have solid numbers against Weber and can stay ahead of them.