SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Attendance

nodak651

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

NDSU has a bunch of butts in the seats AND people who stand all game and make noise. I guess you can have it both ways. Who would've known?

Ndsu also has people who complain about those standing in front of them. Those people will just have to get over it. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, WiSioux said:

That is ridiculous. I have attended a number of college and pro football games in various stadiums. Both as a student and a general fan. I have NEVER seen people stand the entire time the team is on defense.

You guys seem to want to have your cake and eat it too. You bitch that there aren't enough fans at the games and then you butch about the fans that are at the games. You can't have both. Either you gets butts in the seats or you get a passionate group of fans who want to cheer and follow all your customs.

I like football as much as the next person but I attended one game this season and wasn't blown away. I was kind of bored by the product on the field. Yeah, they won but that doesn't mean the game wasn't boring. I didn't know any of the players and wasn't personally invested. When I was a student I cared if we won or loss now I am indifferent. I think by the end of the football season that is how many Grand Forkers feel. They are indifferent and don't want to spend money doing the exact same thing every weekend. I know we have great running backs but running the ball isn't entertaining. We need a QB that can actually throw the ball or scramble and create excitement.

With all due respect sir, no you don't. You say you like FB, but then go on to bash the sport, the team and the coaching staff with your "I was kind of bored by the product on the field." This post is a perfect symbol of what is wrong with UND athletics right now. If it isn't men's hockey, it doesn't matter and thus deserves ZERO attention.  And as for people not wanting to "spend money doing the exact same thing every weekend", why is REA sold out for every home game not on a holiday weekend, between semesters or spring break? I guess they don't seem to have a problem "doing the same thing every weekend". Oh, that's right, if it's hockey, that rule doesn't apply.

I like to think we learn something new everyday, and today I learned this:

WiSioux = Hockey Only Fan

I would have more respect for your opinion if you had just said that instead of that load of asinine B.S. you posted.

End Rant.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Not a sir. But thanks for your judgement of me.

I do like UND hockey significantly more than I like UND football. As does the majority if the city. But when I make plans to fly back to Grand Forks, I plan for a weekend when both football and hockey are in town.  So think what you want but I know the truth.

I think college football as a whole sucks. I prefer pro football and college hockey. I dislike baseball because it is so slow and so boring.

And people go to hockey week in and week out because it is the thing to do. Because the arena is amazing and supports the sport. Because there is always a chance for excitement or maybe a fight. Maybe I lucked out. I went to UND during the Weston Dresser, Digger Anderson, and Glas era. There was ALWAYS a chance for a big play even on special teams. I went to every game, including some away games, and never left early. Go back and look at my posts from 2004-2008 I frequently did away game play by play for people. Maybe it is being away from Grand Forks and football being harder to follow from outside the area. Maybe it is the better hockey coverage available online. But my interest for UND football has faded since graduation. I am not your target local market anyway... So it doesn't really matter.

• Downvote 3

28 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

I do like UND hockey significantly more than I like UND football. As does the majority if the city. But when I make plans to fly back to Grand Forks, I plan for a weekend when both football and hockey are in town.  So think what you want but I know the truth.

I think college football as a whole sucks. I prefer pro football and college hockey. I dislike baseball because it is so slow and so boring.

And people go to hockey week in and week out because it is the thing to do. Because the arena is amazing and supports the sport. Because there is always a chance for excitement or maybe a fight. Maybe I lucked out. I went to UND during the Weston Dresser, Digger Anderson, and Glas era. There was ALWAYS a chance for a big play even on special teams. I went to every game, including some away games, and never left early. Go back and look at my posts from 2004-2008 I frequently did away game play by play for people. Maybe it is being away from Grand Forks and football being harder to follow from outside the area. Maybe it is the better hockey coverage available online. But my interest for UND football has faded since graduation. I am not your target local market anyway... So it doesn't really matter.

Or was it The Muss Effect? 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Or how about 3 interceptions and 7 sacks, one of which caused a fumble?  I just don't understand how other hockey fans, who cheer 5 times a game in hockey for goals and "big" hits, can say UND football is boring to watch.  But to each their own.

Also, every football game has been available online this year, for FREE.  Tom Miller has really stepped up his coverage and SFI is great.  If you haven't been able to follow the football team this year, it's because you weren't trying.

Is the boring style of play why the attendance is up by an average of 2000/game?

• Upvote 1

On 10/26/2016 at 1:11 PM, siouxforcefans said:

When you said something similar last week, my wife and I tried to stop by (I think it's fun meeting SS people IRL).  We made it out of the Champion's Club tent, but only by 1 spot before we ran into people we knew and didn't get any further.  We'll make a better effort this week!

I know a couple people who couldn't make it because the weather didn't agree this last week and they had to give combining a shot

There's a lot of corn left in the fields, hopefully most of that gets combined this week! Deer hunting is the next 3 weekends. Attendance was disappointing Saturday, hopefully in 2 weeks we get back to over 10,000.  Success is coming to the football team and that seems to be the pre-requisite to rebuilding the fan base. We're probably need another year on that yet.  A good test of rebuilding the fan base for this season would be if we could get a home playoff game, we so need to win last two games of conference.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Would a 100 yard kickoff return for a TD count as a big play?

only if the returner pulls offs about 4 or 5 madden worthy jukes, and maybe somersaults into the endzone. If that can't do that, then we should probably just watch hockey instead.

* For the record, I don't want to hate on hockey fans, as I am a HUGE hockey fan, but I'm not sure how you cannot get excited about this football team. The offense is boom or bust, but the defense is so much fun to watch. We're 7-2, leading the Big Sky, and have a chance to win out. This is what people have been waiting for. Have to remember the fans won't flock back until they see this winning become consistent, but this has been an awesome year to watch UND football. There is zero doubt that Bubba was the right man for the job. I just hope he is hear for quite a while. Never know how long a guy want to coach, but Bubba is only 54, so he should have quite a few years left here.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:
31 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

I know a couple people who couldn't make it because the weather didn't agree this last week and they had to give combining a shot

Had the opposite problem this week - we brought friends with, and they got into talking with the women's basketball team and I couldn't get them out of the CC tent!  I didn't want to be rude and wander off, so I played a second game of heads or tails...

19 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

There's a lot of corn left in the fields, hopefully most of that gets combined this week! Deer hunting is the next 3 weekends. Attendance was disappointing Saturday, hopefully in 2 weeks we get back to over 10,000.  Success is coming to the football team and that seems to be the pre-requisite to rebuilding the fan base. We're probably need another year on that yet.  A good test of rebuilding the fan base for this season would be if we could get a home playoff game, we so need to win last two games of conference.

Yeah I am glad UND is on the road this weekend for deer opener. Attendance that weekend is bad every year.

• Upvote 1

Why don't they start some priority points system for football now by giving people points for attending football so when it does take off like it has at NDSU, the fans that have been in full support of the team forever, are rewarded for their past support.  I realize it is all about the $, but at some point loyalty should count a bit as well.  Wasn't happy when the point system of the Champions club moved away from rewarding long time season ticket holders with points in their system and made it all about what have you done for me lately.  Trying to get actual seats at the Regional hockey tournament last time around was difficult because of that change.  I sense the same thing will eventually happen with football when it gets popular like it has at NDSU, the people with the bucks will jump on the bandwagon and make it difficult for the past loyal supporters to access decent seating home and away.  Again, I realize this is how college sports is now, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

If only you meant forever.

Clever, very clever Mr. Sunshine.

I call them like I see them. If you don't like that, tough cookies.

When people who clearly don't care about FB come on the FB forum and basically trash the program, I will call them out on it.

Period. End of Story.

And End Rant.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Sorry, I love UND, but hockey actually bores me sometimes.  Serious, what can happen that is exciting??  1)score 2)check 3)save 4)almost score?  The rules are such that they can't fight, just act like tough guys.  So I really think this argument is personal preference.

Football has so many more roller coaster moments in a game or even a play, like running into the endzone.....then fumbling (Oliveira).  Like getting a pass intercepted, then saved by penalty, or Cal Poly driving and Hunt picks them off (didn't see that coming) Stanley's mega-stiff arm on the sideline running into endzone, literally a combination of 50 things can go right or wrong any play.  Plus, each game in college football is huge....  You can't go get swept in a weekend series and have that mean nothing as far as your play-off run. 

and I am not a football only, even adopted a Force Player this year and trying not to 'Force' UND on him too much.  I did bring 6 Force players to UND/Bemidji, they were in Awe!!

I see  a rant coming your way....

• Downvote 2

9 hours ago, WiSioux said:

You can't handle the truth 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Irish said:

Let's not confuse a "boring offensive philosophy - ground and pound" with extremely frustrating play calling.  Even the old school offenses mentioned will throw it when they see 9 in the box.  We are extremely one dimensional and that leads to a frustrating viewing experience.  No question, our defense kicked butt yesterday, but the continued sloppy play - yesterday on kick coverage and all season on stupid penalties are sometimes hard to watch.  After seeing the game Saturday, I sure didn't feel like I was watching a team on a 7 game win streak.  If Bubba Ball is about discipline and execution we still have a ways to go.  

Other than changing the appearance of the play with different formations and personal I'd be curious to know how many different running plays UND actually ran Saturday with their 45 attempts.

It was refreshing to see only 3 penalties called on UND though IIRC.

There was a ton of Sioux fans in Duluth this weekend for the hockey games, but many of them live there or in the cities so I don't think that affected attendence too much at the football game. I believe hockey games bring people to the football games so people can make it an all UND weekend.

i did have to shake my head this weekend when I heard some Sioux fans talking about the Bison and if they won. Really?!?! We finally have a successful football team and their worried about the Bison score at a UND hockey game? I guess there wasn't much to watch after that performance.

• Upvote 1

I was actually surprised with the attendance at this game...The tailgating scene was not half bad and was a significant improvement over the last two years when I could count on both hands the number of rigs out there.  I did mention to my kids that its disappointing that the student section was not filled up, but again its going to take time to build our football brand back up...The wins will put the bandwagon jumpers back in the seats, but it has to be a sustained period of wins and one season of success will not do it...

Lastly, the University needs to amp the marketing up for the team and having Bubba send out Facebook posts should be a tangent aspect and not the primary aspect of marketing for this team in my opinion.  I don't see the excitement around town for the Football team that I see for the Hockey team as well...They should have been handing out free tickets to everyone and their brother on campus, but again another opportunity missed by Faison and the crew.

November 12th will tell us a lot.  If we win in Greeley this week, we will be 8-2 and 7-0 in the conference heading into the game versus Northern Arizona.  We will be playing for a birth to be in the FCS playoffs for the first time ever.  But more importantly, we will be playing for the chance to win the Big Sky Conference!!  If the "winning solves everything" strategy is in fact true, there is no excuse for the Alerus not to have 11,000+ at that game.