SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Attendance

nodak651

14 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'd say the winning has had an immediate impact. We're averaging over 2000 more fans/game than last year. That's not too shabby. If we do that again next year we'll be at borderline sellouts each game. Bubba is working magic and it's only his third year.

I agree things are much improved, and they aren't going to change over night.  Attendance through 4 games this year is 18% higher than where it was through 4 games last year.  That is a wonderful improvement.  Attendance was an all time low since moving into the Alerus in 2014, Bubba's first season.  Saw an 11% increase in his second year, and another healthy bump so far this year.  Things are trending in the right direction.  

Having said all that though, I fully expect the NAU game to be the lowest attended game of the year, unless we make the playoffs, which that would then be the likely worst attended game of the year.  If you look at the last 3 seasons, the final two games have averaged around 30% less in attendance than the first three.  The big drop in turnout for Weber St., a clash between unbeaten teams, doesn't give me any hope that the trend of dwindling turnout for late season games is going to change this year.

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

I agree things are much improved, and they aren't going to change over night.  Attendance through 4 games this year is 18% higher than where it was through 4 games last year.  That is a wonderful improvement.  Attendance was an all time low since moving into the Alerus in 2014, Bubba's first season.  Saw an 11% increase in his second year, and another healthy bump so far this year.  Things are trending in the right direction.  

Having said all that though, I fully expect the NAU game to be the lowest attended game of the year, unless we make the playoffs, which that would then be the likely worst attended game of the year.  If you look at the last 3 seasons, the final two games have averaged around 30% less in attendance than the first three.  The big drop in turnout for Weber St., a clash between unbeaten teams, doesn't give me any hope that the trend of dwindling turnout for late season games is going to change this year.

First round playoff games with 6000 in the D2 days..... I think we'd do better but by how much is the question. I was looking at some old attendence numbers from the hay day of the Alerus and they aren't too great. A few 12k games here and there but a lot of 8k and even some 6k. Basically we've never consistently packed the place.

47 minutes ago, shep said:

So we just had a series of "the Alerus PA is too loud" posts and now we have the critique that the Alerus does not do a good enough job engaging the crowd via music, participation. Is this a generational issue?

I think the inconsistency of the sound system is the problem with "being too loud" in certain areas

I think we have to understand the population of this area - there aren't enough football fans to go around between both UND and NDSU. 15 years ago, when UND was dominanting in D2, NDSU football was not a hot ticket, especially compared to today. That left a large number of football fans open to coming to UND football games. Now, the vast majority of people are on the NDSU bandwagon. It will take time for UND to build up its fan base, but it is also unprecedented in terms of NDSU having this type of success during the Alerus Center era. NDSU needs to become less popular for UND to build attendance. I mean, let's be honest, there's not 2000 to 3000 UND football fans in hiding someplace Grand Forks. Now, UND can create that number out of casual fans with continual winning.

Also, it's worth noting UND still doesn't have any big name wins this season. I heard several people on Saturday asking "where is Weber State?" or "how good are they?"

Name recognition of opponents is still lacking in the Big Sky. UND needs to beat teams like NDSU and Montana - which all have local recognition - in order to spike in popularity. This is one key reason why a move to the MVFC should be largely considered; it would benefit locals and ultimately attendance. What better way to boost attendance than to host NDSU???

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I think we have to understand the population of this area - there aren't enough football fans to go around between both UND and NDSU. 15 years ago, when UND was dominanting in D2, NDSU football was not a hot ticket, especially compared to today. That left a large number of football fans open to coming to UND football games. Now, the vast majority of people are on the NDSU bandwagon. It will take time for UND to build up its fan base, but it is also unprecedented in terms of NDSU having this type of success during the Alerus Center era. NDSU needs to become less popular for UND to build attendance. I mean, let's be honest, there's not 2000 to 3000 UND football fans in hiding someplace Grand Forks. Now, UND can create that number out of casual fans with continual winning.

Also, it's worth noting UND still doesn't have any big name wins this season. I heard several people on Saturday asking "where is Weber State?" or "how good are they?"

Name recognition of opponents is still lacking in the Big Sky. UND needs to beat teams like NDSU and Montana - which all have local recognition - in order to spike in popularity. This is one key reason why a move to the MVFC should be largely considered; it would benefit locals and ultimately attendance. What better way to boost attendance than to host NDSU???

I disagree with that. In the 1990's, both UND and NDSU were conference title and playoff contenders and (weather permitting) we drew well. NDSU was indoors at the time and they drew well every game. If we are going to have to wait for NDSU to have a couple of down years to put more butts in the seats, then we might as well shut this thread down.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I disagree with that. In the 1990's, both UND and NDSU were conference title and playoff contenders and (weather permitting) we drew well. NDSU was indoors at the time and they drew well every game. If we are going to have to wait for NDSU to have a couple of down years to put more butts in the seats, then we might as well shut this thread down.

NDSU wasn't nearly as popular then as they are now. They just weren't; they weren't coming off five consecutive FCS national titles and countless wins vs Big 10 and Big 12 teams. The scenario you offered does offer a glimmer of hope, but it still isn't the same situation as what we have now. 

No need to shut the thread down. UND has plenty of things they can improve on their own end. For starters, keep winning and get a big-name win in the playoffs (e.g., South Dakota State, Montana, or even, dare I say it, NDSU). Remember, UND doesn't have an annual opportunity to gauge themselves vs NDSU like they did during the NCC days - which hurts perception. The one chance they did get recently was a flop and didn't help shift any NDSU bandwagoners over to UND.  

24 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I'd think games with SDSU, USD and even UNI would also greatly boost attendance at the Alerus.  In the Big Sky we've only seen the Montana games boost attendance numbers. We haven't hosted EWU since '13 (Muss's last year & one of the lowest points of UND football) so not sure how we'd draw against them when both teams are having success.  I see 3 teams in the Big Sky (UM, MSU, EWU) that could possibly increase attendance & 4 from the MVFC (NDSU, USD, SDSU, UNI)... the rest from both conferences don't do much for the average fan.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Westside said:

I'd think games with SDSU, USD and even UNI would also greatly boost attendance at the Alerus.  In the Big Sky we've only seen the Montana games boost attendance numbers. We haven't hosted EWU since '13 (Muss's last year & one of the lowest points of UND football) so not sure how we'd draw against them when both teams are having success.  I see 3 teams in the Big Sky (UM, MSU, EWU) that could possibly increase attendance & 4 from the MVFC (NDSU, USD, SDSU, UNI)... the rest from both conferences don't do much for the average fan.

Agree. Numbers favor MVFC. I like numbers and facts.

How do our attendance numbers compare to SDSU and USD? That may be a more realistic expectation than comparing against the 5 time defending champion.

From what I have seen on this thread, it looks like we are trending up at a pretty good rate. What's the problem? 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Kap said:

How do our attendance numbers compare to SDSU and USD? That may be a more realistic expectation than comparing against the 5 time defending champion.

From what I have seen on this thread, it looks like we are trending up at a pretty good rate. What's the problem? 

Lack of patience. We will build it back up slowly and that will have longer lasting results. 

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2015.pdf - this shows 2015 attendance numbers. 

2015: North Dakota 5 home games 41,589 total attendance  8,318 game average

as a comparision to:

# 16. South Dakota St. 6 home games, 77,394 total attendance 12,899 game average 

# 29. Eastern Wash. 5 home games 47,886 total attendance  9,577 game average  

NDSU was at #7 in 2015. 

43 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2015.pdf - this shows 2015 attendance numbers. 

2015: North Dakota 5 home games 41,589 total attendance  8,318 game average

as a comparision to:

# 16. South Dakota St. 6 home games, 77,394 total attendance 12,899 game average 

# 29. Eastern Wash. 5 home games 47,886 total attendance  9,577 game average  

NDSU was at #7 in 2015. 

And USD was at 9,028, FWIW.

2011 UND (8-3) - 6 home games 47,045 total attendance 7,841 game average                  - 3 D2/NAIAs on schedule

2012 UND (5-6) - 6 home games 53,770 total attendance 8,962 game average     +14.3%      - 1st year in BSC

2013 UND (3-8) - 7 home games 58,501 total attendance  8,357 game average    (6.8%)

2014 UND (5-7) - 6 home games 44,915 total attendance  7,486 game average    (10.4%)

2015 UND (7-4) - 5 home games 41,589 total attendance  8,318 game average    +11.1%

2016 UND (7-2) - 4 home games 40,779 total attendance  10,195 game average  +22.6%

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

We had those 3000 initially...but they went into hiding:  

game 1.   11477

game 4.    8699

5 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

We had those 3000 initially...but they went into hiding:  

game 1.   11477

game 4.    8699

Those obviously weren't real passionate UND football fans. If they were UND football fans, they would've been in attendance during the biggest home game of Bubba's head coaching tenure vs. Weber State. Trend appears to be that people show up early in the year when the weather is nice and hockey isn't being played yet... then boredom, hockey, and deer hunting take over. 

Dating back through 2006, our best attended season was 2008, with an average of 10,167 per game.  We have a chance to surpass that this season, but it's pretty slim (need 10,061 to do it).  Our best attended November game was 9,320 on Nov 3, 2007 vs SCSU.  NAU will be our first meaningful November home game in a long time though.  With Denver hockey in town, and if we win vs UNC this weekend, I expect the crowd to be around 9,500-10,000.  Unfortunately for UND, some of the snow birds will already be headed south before this game.

"Comparison is the thief of joy" - T. Roosevelt

If we just look at UND attendance numbers and its history, why isn't this thread more positive?

How often has the attendance been better than it is now and when was that? I'm sure there are some old timers that can answer this.

I'm really not this existential.

• Upvote 3