SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Attendance

nodak651

3 very frustrating things I heard/witnessed yesterday at the game.

1.  While tailgating, I heard one young guy ask his buddy if they were planning on leaving at half to which he replied yep.

2. On 4th and inches for the offense in the 1st quarter the fans in my section started to yell.

3. After UND scored on the opening kickoff fans continued to stand in anticipation of UND kicking off.  I couple fan were yelling at them to sit down.

Not only do we have ways to go in getting fans to the game we need better fans.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Big Green said:

1.  While tailgating, I heard one young guy ask his buddy if they were planning on leaving at half to which he replied yep.

2. On 4th and inches for the offense in the 1st quarter the fans in my section started to yell.

3. After UND scored on the opening kickoff fans continued to stand in anticipation of UND kicking off.  I couple fan were yelling at them to sit down.

Couldn't agree more. I witnessed all of this. The 4th down noise with UND on offense got me the most pissed. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Happens at hockey too during designated standing times.

Reminds me of what happened last Friday at the hockey game. Everyone in the arena was standing until the 1st whistle blew. There were a couple of people sitting the row behind us who were absolutely losing their minds that we were standing and they made it known they were not going to stand whatsoever. All I could do was shake my head at all of the stupidity...

• Upvote 3

Just now, Stromer said:

Reminds me of what happened last Friday at the hockey game. Everyone in the arena was standing until the 1st whistle blew. There were a couple of people sitting the row behind us who were absolutely losing their minds that we were standing and they made it known they were not going to stand whatsoever. All I could do was shake my head at all of the stupidity...

Pretty much the same story I got.

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

Reason why I moved to the catwalk

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

As for point #3, doesn't the PA announcer say "everybody up for the kickoff!"?

That is ridiculous. I have attended a number of college and pro football games in various stadiums. Both as a student and a general fan. I have NEVER seen people stand the entire time the team is on defense.

You guys seem to want to have your cake and eat it too. You bitch that there aren't enough fans at the games and then you butch about the fans that are at the games. You can't have both. Either you gets butts in the seats or you get a passionate group of fans who want to cheer and follow all your customs.

I like football as much as the next person but I attended one game this season and wasn't blown away. I was kind of bored by the product on the field. Yeah, they won but that doesn't mean the game wasn't boring. I didn't know any of the players and wasn't personally invested. When I was a student I cared if we won or loss now I am indifferent. I think by the end of the football season that is how many Grand Forkers feel. They are indifferent and don't want to spend money doing the exact same thing every weekend. I know we have great running backs but running the ball isn't entertaining. We need a QB that can actually throw the ball or scramble and create excitement.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, WiSioux said:

That is ridiculous. I have attended a number of college and pro football games in various stadiums. Both as a student and a general fan. I have NEVER seen people stand the entire time the team is on defense.

You guys seem to want to have your cake and eat it too. You bitch that there aren't enough fans at the games and then you butch about the fans that are at the games. You can't have both. Either you gets butts in the seats or you get a passionate group of fans who want to cheer and follow all your customs.

I like football as much as the next person but I attended one game this season and wasn't blown away. I was kind of bored by the product on the field. Yeah, they won but that doesn't mean the game wasn't boring. I didn't know any of the players and wasn't personally invested. When I was a student I cared if we won or loss now I am indifferent. I think by the end of the football season that is how many Grand Forkers feel. They are indifferent and don't want to spend money doing the exact same thing every weekend. I know we have great running backs but running the ball isn't entertaining. We need a QB that can actually throw the ball or scramble and create excitement. You 

It is really convenient to blame the poor attendance on the football product on the field, but I'm afraid it isn't that simple. The exodus to Fargo for NDSU gameday is one important issue right now. Oh, and by the way, NDSU plays "boring" ground and pound football with solid defense but does fine with attendance. There's a perception issue. The diehard football fans with no specific allegiance go to NDSU football games. Many "UND fans" yet stick to only hockey and then, dare I say it, cheer for NDSU football. UND needs to create more UND-specific diehard football fans, which will take time and wins. NDSU has a bunch of butts in the seats AND people who stand all game and make noise. I guess you can have it both ways. Who would've known?

• Upvote 4