SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Attendance

nodak651

Somewhere I think there's a formula out there as a predictor...

Last year's record added to this year's record, divided by last year's homecomin attendance, add or subtract temperature differential, times 1.03 if hockey is in town minus 3 percent if beeting off.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Last year hockey was out of town during Homecoming. I do think a hockey game Saturday night will give FB attendance a bump. 

I've been wondering about this, but haven't looked at the numbers.  Are we sure having a hockey game on a football day doesn't actually hurt football attendance?  Sure, it brings in some people from out-of-town that might not have otherwise come.  But I think there may be more people that live in the area (and students) that may not want to go to two games on the same day (which basically kills their entire day) and choose hockey over football.  It would interesting to run the numbers.

In any event, it's disappointing that ticket sales seem slow for Homecoming.  

Just now, mksioux said:

I've been wondering about this, but haven't looked at the numbers.  Are we sure having a hockey game on a football day doesn't actually hurt football attendance?  Sure, it brings in some people from out-of-town that might not have otherwise come.  But I think there may be more people that live in the area (and students) that may not want to go to two games on the same day (which basically kills their entire day) and choose hockey over football.  It would interesting to run the numbers.

In any event, it's disappointing that ticket sales seem slow for Homecoming.  

students have the priority line for going to football to keep their spot in the hockey line, so they have an incentive there and when usually get a nice chunk of the hockey crowd.

Be interesting to see how it goes this weekend due to the hockey game not included in their package.

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Last year's record added to this year's record, divided by last year's homecomin attendance, add or subtract temperature differential, times 1.03 if hockey is in town minus 3 percent if beeting off.

That's too much math for me. Let's all just be disappointed when only 9300 show up because of beet harvest and then we can place blame on the "hockey only" crowd to top it off.

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Don't forget to carry the one :p

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

I don't think hockey is sold out for this weekend, either.

Hockey had a lot of empty seats in the upper deck last Friday.  Also, I received an email that are offering a discount on hockey tix this weekend...only $25 compared to the normal price of $40.

55 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Last year hockey was out of town during Homecoming. I do think a hockey game Saturday night will give FB attendance a bump. 

Bubba is spot on with his tweet though.

Yes, hockey team was in Maine last Homecoming, my recollection is that in recent years it has been the norm to have a home hockey game on Homecoming Saturday. That should help FB attendance, and also some beet farmers are finishing up (they've had good weather).  The big card though is that UND football is getting the buzzzz and therefore more fans will show up!

More tickets available for hockey this weekend because it's the Hall of Fame game.  Not included in season tickets unless you specify that and pay for them.  I think there will be big walk up numbers for FB on Saturday.  

5 hours ago, UND92 said:

Look at the Alerus Ticket website.  Many more tickets available as of today than at this time for the Potato Bowl.    Beet Harvest is going strong.  Some guys may finish up today or tomorrow but many will still be busy Sat.  My guess is under 10,000 but hope I am way low!!!

Just compared it to Monday of the potato bowl again. It looks about equal. I know a few who are wrapping up beets tomorrow and will be at the game. 

We have the Potato Bowl.  Why is there no Sugar Beet Bowl?  I would much rather eat a spoonful of sugar than a spoonful of mashed potatoes.  I have to think the worlds largest sugar feed would do better than the worlds largest french fry feed.  

I am confident that more sugar would lead to more butts in the seats.......

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

We're over-analyzing this thing. UND will draw more than 10,000, but perhaps not by much. Good weather, homecoming, and the team's success will do the trick despite harvest yet going on. Expect good number of walk-ups. 

Agreed. Plus, the Cal Poly game was the opening day of beet harvest. There will be more farmers at the game this Saturday than Oct. 1

2 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Don't forget it is also "Duck-tober".  Hunting always seems to get in the way of football games.

I missed the last game due to harvest, looking forward to this weekend and the rest of the season.  I also expect there to be a home game or two in December!

You are probably right about Ductober but it has always bothered me because you can get a hunt in early and still make a 1 PM game. My hunting plans changed a bit so I will be up there during the Weber game. I still plan to do a field hunt or duck blind, pack up by 10:30 and will be there with plenty of time to spare. It;s really not that hard, but you have to have some motivation so maybe that is the missing component that winning can fix. IDK, just hope we win tomorrow to maintain this momentum.