SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

In Hak's case, it's "Cycling in the offensive zone kills".

Maybe he tells guys that don't have killer speed to forecheck and cycle because it works better for them, or at certain times in games. We were missing a lot of high-end forwards this last year, as we all know.

I agree that it's frustrating to see a lot of time spent cycling with no reward. I'm not in one "camp" or the other, as most people probably aren't.

2012 BC team: 9 draft picks

2010 BC team: 10 draft picks

2008 BC team: 11 draft picks

Though not as many draft picks as recent Sioux teams, they still have their fair share of guys who are on NHL team's radar. The only way in which having some real good players that are drafted is they may leave early. I think Hak & Co. have been able to get his guys to commit to the system he implements.

Over the long-haul, Hak's system will bring us National Championships. There is a bit of luck involved with winning a title. If you are good enough to win as many MacNaughton Cups, Broadmoor Trophies, Regional Championships, and never miss the playoffs, you are playing good hockey to win a National Championship? Look at last year. How do you not win a game when you outshoot your opponent 40-20 and your goalie gives up only one goal? The Sioux did what they needed to do to win but the game got stolen from them. How about in 2007, when a couple absurd penalty calls resulted in a PP goals in a game where you had a great chance of winning?

I think the pressure of winning a title when you are supposed to, especially when you have a fan base as impatient as UND's, it makes the challenge that much more difficult. Look at BC prior to 2008. They were failing to meet the challenge of winning a title once they got there. Once they got that first one, they've come in bunches. I think once UND gets their next title, they will get a few in a short time span too because that monkey will be off the back for a bit.

• Upvote 2

Sorry, but this is another cop-out. Based on this line of thinking, the WCHA would NEVER win NCAA titles. But since UND has last won a national title, Minnesota (puke) has won two, Denver (puke) has won two and Wisconsin and Duluth have each won one. And don't forget the CCHA with Michigan State winning one. The East Coast is NOT the end-all and be-all of college hockey recruiting. Players are being produced all over the United States now and we still get some good ones out of Canada (despite the sleazeball tactics of Major Juniors). The fact is, our program will fall off the radar screen if we don't start closing the deal with some of our better teams. No one cares who finishes second or who gets to the Frozen Four and loses in the semifinals. Maybe it isn't fair, maybe it's myopic thinking, but it's how the media and the public views it.

Minnesota went over 20 years without winning a national title, made the NCAA almost every year when it was much more difficult to do so, and didn't fall off the "radar." Same with Boston Univeristy. 1972 to 1995, I believe. UND hockey will be fine, it's just that their fans get spoiled with 7 national championships.

Minnesota went over 20 years without winning a national title, made the NCAA almost every year when it was much more difficult to do so, and didn't fall off the "radar." Same with Boston Univeristy. 1972 to 1995, I believe. UND hockey will be fine, it's just that their fans get spoiled with 7 national championships.

Bout sums it up. Where most schools would be so happy to make it to the Frozen Four UND fans expect this to happen and if they do not win it has been an of year. How fast people forget the 90's here and the empty arena.

I wouldnt mind a coaching change if it meant more ncaa titles.

Pretty easy statement to make. Since we all want the team to win championships I doubt anyone would disagree. How do you guarantee a change will produce championships and not actually make the program worse off? I'm sure GMs and ADs wrestle with this question all the time. When you figure out the answer let us know...

Sorry, but this is another cop-out.

I'm not sure what you think I'm "copping out" about, I'm just stating facts about why BC has produced so many championship caliber teams the last 10 years or so.

1) They have a very good coach who knows what kind of team it takes to win and builds his team as such.

2) They have a large, heavily populated recruiting area.If you're a good hockey player living in Maine, NY, Maryland, Connecticut, Vermont, Pennsylvania, or anywhere else in the NE US and you see 'Boston College' on your caller I.D., you're going to pick up the phone and listen to what they say...guaranteed. Look at their roster this year...1 from Colorado, 1 from Minnesota, and 3 from British Columbia...everybody else from the NE. They own it.

3) They're winning. Nothing helps recruiting more than winning, and for the last 11 years they've done it better than anybody.

Like them or not (I say not) they have a good situation and know what they're doing, and it's probably not going to change much until York hangs it up or posts a couple of subpar seasons, which I would welcome like a lottery check.

The expectations of fans are what make programs great they root as hard as they expect teams to play and they get pissed when they don't win becuase they want it so bad. We should be happy with our very spoiled fans, although some take it too far I will admit.

I wouldnt mind a coaching change if it meant more ncaa titles.

Who would you suggest? Bring Blaise back? Hakstol has done quite well. York didn't win crap at BC until recently in his long career. It took him 7 years to win his first and then 7 more to win his second. Look at him now. Three years ago at NDSU their football fans wanted Bohl gone and now they worship the ground on which he walks. It's UND it'll happen, don't forget that luck is involved in winning a championship and maybe it's being stockpiled right now.

For those who saw it, was the 3rd BC goal awesome or what? Kid fought off 2 guys from the blue line in and got off a shot to beat the goalie high.

BC or not, that was a hell of an effort.

That 3rd goal was a work of art. Certainly it should have topped any NBA dunk on ESPN's Top 10.

Anyone else catch that the New York Rangers wanted Chris Krieder to quit on BC when they drafted him in 09 and instead head to the QMJHL. After finding out about this and the JT Miller situation I really hope none of our recruits are drafted by the Rangers. Wonder why the Rangers have so much against the NCAA, Stepan and McDonaugh have been very good for them.

Anyone else catch that the New York Rangers wanted Chris Krieder to quit on BC when they drafted him in 09 and instead head to the QMJHL. After finding out about this and the JT Miller situation I really hope none of our recruits are drafted by the Rangers. Wonder why the Rangers have so much against the NCAA, Stepan and McDonaugh have been very good for them.

But they tried to get Stepan and McDonaugh to do the same. And... McDonaugh was actually not a draft pick of the Rangers. He was drafted by the Habs.

This year UND was forced to slow the game down considerably because of all the injuries and roster issues. Yes, chip it out, dump it in, clog up the neutral zone, and try and play as much in the offensive end as possible. Honestly people, do you really think with three lines for an entire 60 minute hockey game that UND could play race horse hockey with teams?

Ninety percent of the time I'm a Hakstol backer. Here is your chance experts. I would love to hear how the Sioux should have played it against the elite teams in order to win a national championship. Teams with more talent, and deeper rosters.

This year UND was forced to slow the game down considerably because of all the injuries and roster issues. Yes, chip it out, dump it in, clog up the neutral zone, and try and play as much in the offensive end as possible. Honestly people, do you really think with three lines for an entire 60 minute hockey game that UND could play race horse hockey with teams?

Ninety percent of the time I'm a Hakstol backer. Here is your chance experts. I would love to hear how the Sioux should have played it against the elite teams in order to win a national championship. Teams with more talent, and deeper rosters.

Get lucky.

With the team Hak had during the stretch run (meaning short bench, lots of non-scholarship and walk-on guys)? Easy. Here's how:

... slow the game down considerably ... chip it out, dump it in, clog up the neutral zone, and try and play as much in the offensive end as possible.

;):D

• Upvote 1

I just don't think that Hakstol has to defend the job he did this season.

If he had Jason Gregoire, Brett Hextall, and JT Miller. And Grimaldi, O'Donnell, and Rodwell hadn't gotten hurt, maybe we're talking a possible frozen four appearance.

Just think about how the top two lines could of looked vs. how they did look lineup wise. But I guess people will blame Hak for players leaving early and kids getting hurt.

I just don't think that Hakstol has to defend the job he did this season.

If he had Jason Gregoire, Brett Hextall, and JT Miller. And Grimaldi, O'Donnell, and Rodwell hadn't gotten hurt, maybe we're talking a possible frozen four appearance.

More than Frozen Four... we would have given BC a run. We'd have had the speed and skill needed to really skate with the best. [sigh]

More than Frozen Four... we would have given BC a run. We'd have had the speed and skill needed to really skate with the best. [sigh]

I really think that with those players listed that this team would've been without a doubt the best team in the country. Take a look at these lines;

Gregoire-Knight-Hextall a top-10 line in the country two years ago. Gregoire best overall player in the country.

Nelson-Grimaldi-Kristo probably the best line in the country

MacMillan-Rowney-Miller either this or BC's 3rd line is best 3rd line in the country

Rodwell-Lamoureux-Parks very good energy/grinder line, could put O'Donnell here for more offense

Kreider led BC with 45 points. Gregoire, Knight, Nelson, Grimaldi, and Kristo would all have had over 45 points in this lineup.

considering this is a non UND thread, sounds more and more like mr. bjugstad will be staying at minnesota for another year. his dad is pushing him to stay and sounds like florida won't pressure him either. that is good for college hockey to keep these kids as long as possible. that just means minny should be the preseason favorite for the WCHA and preseason number one nationally. I know it would take some divine intervention(sp) but I hope kristo would stay and with what we have coming back and coming in we could give them a run.

considering this is a non UND thread, sounds more and more like mr. bjugstad will be staying at minnesota for another year. his dad is pushing him to stay and sounds like florida won't pressure him either. that is good for college hockey to keep these kids as long as possible. that just means minny should be the preseason favorite for the WCHA and preseason number one nationally. I know it would take some divine intervention(sp) but I hope kristo would stay and with what we have coming back and coming in we could give them a run.

Interesting. Good for college hockey, I agree. I think Nick could play in the NHL now with his size and strength, but he was invisible everytime I watched gophers play in the later part of the season. Injured maybe?

I remember way back when the Islander's wouldn't pressure Brock Nelson, look how that turned out.