SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

The broadcast of the Gopher games on FSN was infinitely improved with this move. I think many Gopher fans will agree. The only thing they could do to diminish this would be to give the job to Kevin Gorg. Or Erik Kuselias.

I sure hope Kevin Gorg does not get the job!

• 2 weeks later...

The CHL has snagged another NTDP player and college commit

Per twitter

NTDP D Patrick Sieloff will forgo commitment to Miami University and play for the Windsor Spitfires next year.

Miami is getting killed by the OHL with Sieloff, Ryan Hartman & Tyler Biggs all bolting. Sieloff rumors had been out there for a while now.

NTDPs to CHL:Seth Jones-Portland, Miles Koules-Medicine Hat, Ryan Hartman-Plymouth, Pat Sieloff-Windsor,Stefan Matteau-Blainville-Boisbriand

what's with these kids? Is there some type of plaque going on while attending Development Team

It's the unrestricted submarine warfare that the CHL wages on College Hockey to get all the best talent in North America. It's also the "live and let live" attitude that College Hockey has towards the CHL. This is a unilateral war in which one side uses machine guns and the other side uses wooden swords. It shouldn't surprise anyone that these things are happening. College Hockey, Inc. needs to take the gloves off and really get after it. Stop being so nice and deferential towards the CHL.

It's the unrestricted submarine warfare that the CHL wages on College Hockey to get all the best talent in North America. It's also the "live and let live" attitude that College Hockey has towards the CHL. This is a unilateral war in which one side uses machine guns and the other side uses wooden swords. It shouldn't surprise anyone that these things are happening. College Hockey, Inc. needs to take the gloves off and really get after it. Stop being so nice and deferential towards the CHL.

Leave them to their karmic destiny, Grasshopper. They will come back as the Chicago Cubs' farm system or Mankato's hockey program . . .

• Upvote 1

Is this really the CHL's fault or the inability of the college coaches to convince the kids to play college instead? What they are doing is no different than what the colleges are doing. Both are trying to put the best product they can on the ice and sell tickets. I would almost guess that a CHL teams success or failure is more scrutinized than an American college team is. All Canadian hockey fans know all about the CHL where as most American hockey fans know little to nothing about college hockey. Does anyone here with their vast knowledge about hockey know how many guys coaching in the CHL this year have NHL experiance coaching? Or AHL or ECHL experiance? What I am getting at is it seems that the CHL coaches are auditioning for pro jobs as much as their players are. Hence, why the play more like the pros. If a CHL coach can develope players for the pros it helps them. If I am not mistaken but at one time didn't NHL teams actually own teams in the OHL?

Is this really the CHL's fault or the inability of the college coaches to convince the kids to play college instead? What they are doing is no different than what the colleges are doing. Both are trying to put the best product they can on the ice and sell tickets. I would almost guess that a CHL teams success or failure is more scrutinized than an American college team is. All Canadian hockey fans know all about the CHL where as most American hockey fans know little to nothing about college hockey. Does anyone here with their vast knowledge about hockey know how many guys coaching in the CHL this year have NHL experiance coaching? Or AHL or ECHL experiance? What I am getting at is it seems that the CHL coaches are auditioning for pro jobs as much as their players are. Hence, why the play more like the pros. If a CHL coach can develope players for the pros it helps them. If I am not mistaken but at one time didn't NHL teams actually own teams in the OHL?

Good point. Yes, the NHL pretty much funds the CHL. Long story short (although many college die hards who only watch college hockey may disagree) a large portion of the top prospects play in the CHL. Due to the recent US success in international tournaments and due to the NTDP players focusing strictly on hockey year round, at a very high level, we are now producing players that are becoming good at a young age, and thus, are being recruited by the CHL. This really isn't all that new as many US kids have gone to the CHL in the past. We are simply noticing it more now because of college hockey's rise in popularity over the past 12 years or so and due to the US getting much better at hockey over that same period. College hockey started retaining great US players where in the past they would bounce up north.

But regarding Biggs, if you don't kill it in college hockey being that highly touted, I doubt he will ever be that great in the NHL (if he gets there). He reminds be of that Canadian Gopher player that played when Pots was on the team....forgot his name.

I have always felt it is a lose-lose to coach your kid in team sports. Everyone will always wonder if the kid really belongs on the team. I know that Gene Roebuck's daughter signed to play for him and I would never have done that. I would have gone to another team in another conference so I could establish myself on my own. I think Luke Johnson will do the same thing.

And in sticking up for the dad's...It sucks to coach your kid...

I would never want to coach my kid, from what I've seen it usually goes one of two ways...either the coach favors his kid too much, or is overly hard on his kid...not a good situation either way. Not saying there aren't a lot of coaches who are able to coach their children objectively and fairly, but boy do the ones who can't stick out like a sore thumb.

I would never want to coach my kid, from what I've seen it usually goes one of two ways...either the coach favors his kid too much, or is overly hard on his kid...not a good situation either way. Not saying there aren't a lot of coaches who are able to coach their children objectively and fairly, but boy do the ones who can't stick out like a sore thumb.

And the kid is always subject to the questioning is he/she playing because of talent or who sired them. Pretty much a no win situation all around.

I have been coaching my daughter since she was 5 in hockey. She will be a senior next year and we both wouldn't change a thing. Yes we have talked about it quite often and she can't imagine playing for someone else although she will be when she moves on to play college hockey. Have I been harder on her than other players? Sure but nothing that has ever gotten out of hand. It's been a win-win situation for us.

I have been coaching my daughter since she was 5 in hockey. She will be a senior next year and we both wouldn't change a thing. Yes we have talked about it quite often and she can't imagine playing for someone else although she will be when she moves on to play college hockey. Have I been harder on her than other players? Sure but nothing that has ever gotten out of hand. It's been a win-win situation for us.

I like it.

It's great that it's worked out well for both of you, you have done better than most in that situation.