SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

A few links have popped up on facebook with slow-mo video today. Here is one:

http://www.collegeho...n-with-no-class

Stupid play by Matson. Obviously he's frustrated but there's never a reason to freak out like that. I can't imagine how frustrated he was, that he's been a clean player his entire career and the last game of his college career he does that. Still no excuse for it.

Rage in sports / society / bullying here is a article I only read a little of http://books.google....0sports&f=false

We Love it & Hate it - Humans are a weird barbaric bunch

I thought about starting a thread on the Final Five about smack talk & potential for rage

It's in us & schools have surpressed it to get control but there are sure lots of folks with short fuses hoping you will light their fire

& even people who you would never expect it from can snap

Maybe prozac in the drinking water like flouride ? ? ?

I freaking despise that pompous, arrogant, thinks-he-knows-everything-about-everyone d-bag.

I also like his name-calling of 16 year old recruits of rival teams. How mature.

No kidding, It's hilarious to see him act like a d-bag calling opponent recruits overrated etc. etc.

What is even more funnier is that when a Gopher player turns out to be grossly overrated(Ambroz, White, etc.), he gives the excuse that people shouldn't have had such high expectations on them.

He's already deemed Forbort overrated as well Schmaltz. :silly:

I saw that as well.

Forbort had a rough start to the season, and then had a setback with his injury at the WJC, but IMO he was one of our best dmen by the end of the season. Very consistent and good decisions with the puck. He'll be even more improved next season.

I saw that as well.

Forbort had a rough start to the season, and then had a setback with his injury at the WJC, but IMO he was one of our best dmen by the end of the season. Very consistent and good decisions with the puck. He'll be even more improved next season.

Speaking of Forbort, he has two career goals and both of the goalies he scored on were playing last night :)

In my opinion, if Forbort's overrated, what are the Gopher D-men? I'm sorry, but I think Patterson saved their bacon A LOT this year. I'm interested to see what they do next year without a strong force back there, particularly to start.

Also, I thought one of the reasons we had such a rough start to the season was because a lot of the d-men were having rough starts. I thought Forbort was terrible in the beginning, and I thought Mac and Simpson started out pretty rough as well, but got better as the season progressed.

No kidding, It's hilarious to see him act like a d-bag calling opponent recruits overrated etc. etc.

What is even more funnier is that when a Gopher player turns out to be grossly overrated(Ambroz, White, etc.), he gives the excuse that people shouldn't have had such high expectations on them.

Oh, he also says since Brock is gone, we won't be able to score any goals. :silly:

I love the previous post with the Buffalo Bills reference. Given our record over the past decade, we are the Atlanta Braves of the 90's. One title, and bunch of "oh-so-close" years. We need to start sealing the deal.

On another note, I loved the point earlier about the 15+ NHL draft picks. NHL draft picks / potential NHL talent doesn't translate into titles. If we look at the 97 and 00 title years, the only NHL player that has made an "impact" is Jason Blake (please correct me if I am wrong). The services of Oshie, Toews, Parise, Zajac etc...got us close, but it didn't seal the deal. We need a mix of NHL potential, but we need more of the players that are more likely to stay 4 years or at least 3 years. I worry about picking up the rental players, like Seth Jones. I would love to have him, but I hate seeing players leave after one year. I know it is a far more complicated than this, but thought I would just throw it out there.

Regarding the Sioux Nickname issue.....If the vote decides to prolong this issue and we lose out on playing Wisconsin and Minnesota on an annul basis, it will be damaging to our program. I know we can stand on our own in the NCHC, but playing Denver, CC, Duluth, etc isn't going to cut it in terms of national exposure. I am worried about recruiting if we don't have the Gophers and Badgers on the schedule. Do you think it matters to Minn recruits if the Gophers aren't on the schedule?

• Upvote 1

I love the previous post with the Buffalo Bills reference. Given our record over the past decade, we are the Atlanta Braves of the 90's. One title, and bunch of "oh-so-close" years. We need to start sealing the deal.

On another note, I loved the point earlier about the 15+ NHL draft picks. NHL draft picks / potential NHL talent doesn't translate into titles. If we look at the 97 and 00 title years, the only NHL player that has made an "impact" is Jason Blake (please correct me if I am wrong). The services of Oshie, Toews, Parise, Zajac etc...got us close, but it didn't seal the deal. We need a mix of NHL potential, but we need more of the players that are more likely to stay 4 years or at least 3 years. I worry about picking up the rental players, like Seth Jones. I would love to have him, but I hate seeing players leave after one year. I know it is a far more complicated than this, but thought I would just throw it out there.

Regarding the Sioux Nickname issue.....If the vote decides to prolong this issue and we lose out on playing Wisconsin and Minnesota on an annul basis, it will be damaging to our program. I know we can stand on our own in the NCHC, but playing Denver, CC, Duluth, etc isn't going to cut it in terms of national exposure. I am worried about recruiting if we don't have the Gophers and Badgers on the schedule. Do you think it matters to Minn recruits if the Gophers aren't on the schedule?

Yes, to many of them. But not to all.

I think recruits from Minnesota like to play them, but it doesn't matter a whole lot to them. Its not like its incentive to come here because we play the Gophers and the recruit got rejected by them like it can be with other programs. The majority of our Minnesota recruits have grown up Sioux fans and really hate the Gophers and want to be here because that has been their dream growing up. Overall I think it may have a small impact because recruits want to play them, but definitely not a deal breaker for a recruit.

For those who saw it, was the 3rd BC goal awesome or what? Kid fought off 2 guys from the blue line in and got off a shot to beat the goalie high.

BC or not, that was a hell of an effort.

Yeah, Gaudreau was kind of a lucky pickup for BC what with Northeastern losing their coach. 21 goals pretty good for someone you never anticipated having in your lineup. Hopefully the Sioux can ride lucking into Saunders into similar success. I always wondered after the Sioux lost both Bruneteau and Cichy if they gave Gaudreau a call after he opened up his recruitment again. Could use a few more of the smaller players who aren't as likely to leave as early. I think Dave Gust for the Force should get a good look in that regard.

Another BC championship? What? - amazing - especially since I have it on good authority from many of the posters here that under today's format it is virtually impossible to win one, let alone 4. I hear that because of the 16 team format that the stars must align like never before. The odds of a team winning 4 in the last 10 years are about a bajillion to one. Time for the Sioux to get back on track!!!

• Upvote 1

BC was good this year, but their goaltending at the end was fantastic. The gophers deserved better than 6-1 on Thursday, and easily could have won that game if they burried half of their chances. I think the same could almost be said for Ferris tonight. Some great chances, but just couldn't get one past the kid.

If BC has all the right guys come back they could win another one next year. Plus some of the good young recruits they have coming in.....WOULD JERRY YORK JUST RETIRE!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Would UND go back to a physical speed and skating game instead of the cycle game? Under the current rules speed trumps cycle. BC proves that playing fast and speed wins.

Couldn't agree more - speed kills - Hak has stubbornly refused to reconsider, though

• Upvote 1

I think BC's speed has less to do with their game than how smart they play the game. It just seems like they make very, very few mistakes. There speed works as a result of them knowing how to handle each and every situation they see. They rarely panic with the puck and they always seem to know how and when to get the puck to the proper place. Their passing is excellent because they almost never hesitate with what they are about to do. Their patience with the puck is great.

When the Sioux are playing great, they are decisive with the puck and they are crisp with their passes. This allows them (or a team like BC) to use their speed in the proper manner. We've had fast guys on our team too, but you don't see them do the things BC does because sometimes there may be hesitation with puck on someone elses part, or bad passes, etc.

Their speed kills, but only because of the other factors that allow them to use their speed, if that makes sense.

When you have the best program and the best coach in the whole eastern US where the population is, you can attract and cherry-pick pretty much whoever you want.

You have to take your hat off to York, he has it figured out.

Sorry, but this is another cop-out. Based on this line of thinking, the WCHA would NEVER win NCAA titles. But since UND has last won a national title, Minnesota (puke) has won two, Denver (puke) has won two and Wisconsin and Duluth have each won one. And don't forget the CCHA with Michigan State winning one. The East Coast is NOT the end-all and be-all of college hockey recruiting. Players are being produced all over the United States now and we still get some good ones out of Canada (despite the sleazeball tactics of Major Juniors). The fact is, our program will fall off the radar screen if we don't start closing the deal with some of our better teams. No one cares who finishes second or who gets to the Frozen Four and loses in the semifinals. Maybe it isn't fair, maybe it's myopic thinking, but it's how the media and the public views it.

I like the comment about not filling your roster with can't miss NHL players so that you don't lose too many of them early. Not to "live in the past", but that is how Blais kept those powerhouse teams in the 1990's together. He had a bunch of players that worked hard and worked together and had plenty of skill and speed, but weren't on the radar screen of the NHL Central Scouting Bureau. As a result, most of them stayed all four years or at least three years. That looks like the forumula they are using in Chestnut Hill, MA and I think it's time we get back to that formula in Grand Forks, ND. People can disagree all they want, but I care WAY more about NCAA titles than having a bunch of former UND players in the NHL. That is a trade-off I can definitely live with.