SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

Brock got the best entry level contract I have seen. It wasn't going to get any better for him. Might as well take the dough. Seriously, he maxed out everything under the CBA, AND he got huge incentives baked in. I do not fault him for taking that deal.

incentive and bonus wise it was an absolutely great deal but as far as actual cash in his pocket, I've seen better. I'd be willing to bet that some of those bonus' are for things like being an all-star, all-star game mvp,league award winner and playoff performances. none of which he will be in his first three years. I'm willing to bet toews and oshie made more in their first three years than he will.

incentive and bonus wise it was an absolutely great deal but as far as actual cash in his pocket, I've seen better. I'd be willing to bet that some of those bonus' are for things like being an all-star, all-star game mvp,league award winner and playoff performances. none of which he will be in his first three years. I'm willing to bet toews and oshie made more in their first three years than he will.

Those guys almost played full time in the NHL during their first 3 years, therefore got paid an NHL salary almost the entire time (Oshie played almost half of his rookie year in the minors). I would think Brock spends the majority of next year in the AHL, making an AHL salary.

Those guys almost played full time in the NHL during their first 3 years, therefore got paid an NHL salary almost the entire time (Oshie played almost half of his rookie year in the minors). I would think Brock spends the majority of next year in the AHL, making an AHL salary.

thanks for kind of making my point for me, there are players who are NHL ready and those who aren't, and if you leave after two years to go spend the majority of the year in the minors you aren't ready. I'm of the same belief as Red at Michigan, if you are ready to go and play in the NHL he will drive them to the airport and if you aren't he isn't a happy camper. Hak has commented on players leaving in the past and has flat out said it was their time to go, he fell short of saying that last week at his press conference about Brock. instead he was tight lipped and said he would leave it to Brock's family. I could be wrong but I don't think he was too happy about him leaving.

thanks for kind of making my point for me, there are players who are NHL ready and those who aren't, and if you leave after two years to go spend the majority of the year in the minors you aren't ready. I'm of the same belief as Red at Michigan, if you are ready to go and play in the NHL he will drive them to the airport and if you aren't he isn't a happy camper. Hak has commented on players leaving in the past and has flat out said it was their time to go, he fell short of saying that last week at his press conference about Brock. instead he was tight lipped and said he would leave it to Brock's family. I could be wrong but I don't think he was too happy about him leaving.

What worries me is that the NYI's seem to rush prospects. Look at what they did to Nino, he has spent the last 2 year's playing 4th line minutes in the NHL, doing nothing in terms of development. He was the 5th overall pick 2 years ago. I'm all for generating excitement for your franchise but if it comes by stunting a player's development then it is absolutely not worth it. I hope this doesn't happen to Brock and they let him develop in the AHL before calling him up.

With that being said, I agree with your statement. If you are ready to contribute at the NHL level, then turn pro. I think Oshie's situation (playing half in the AHL and half in the NHL during your first year) should be the minimum opportunity in terms of player's leaving early, otherwise come back until you will be able to contrubute.

College Hockey Inc. did a solid break down of U.S. players in the NHL (last 10 years) and which development path they took - CHL or NCAA (some broken down by state)

What is the most proven route to the NHL for an American Player?

In response to the question posed in the title of this article, by a margin of nearly three to one, for U.S.-born players currently between ages 21 and 31, the best path to the NHL has proven to be NCAA hockey. Stated another way, 74 percent of U.S. players entering the NHL over the past 10 years have come from college hockey, not the CHL.

For the 280 players from the 10 states listed above who opted to play major junior hockey, 130 of them never played hockey at the professional level (AHL, ECHL or Europe) and played their last competitive hockey at the major junior level.

Finally, for the U.S. players who left for the CHL (often turning down a college education) based on the belief that “playing for a CHL team was the surest route to the NHL,” most ended up disappointed with the results. Nine (9) out of ten (10) of these players did not make it to the NHL, and 46% of them never played at a level above the CHL.

It would be nice to see a breakdown of Canadians that played US college hockey compared to the majors.

Interesting information, but I think it's also a different question with a high draft pick. It may be that it is for those players that the CHL gets its rep. For example, Seth Jones probably does not worry too much whether he will get to the NHL. For him, the question is which route can get him there the soonest and to stay.

TJ Oshie has not played one game in the minors. Since leaving Warroad, he's played for the Sioux Falls Stampede, the UND Fighting Sioux and the St. Louis Blues. He's also had at least one stint in a USA sweater.

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=81042

Wow I stand corrected, I could've sworn he played in the AHL during the 08-09 season but I guess I'm wrong. I wonder why he played in so few NHL games that year?

I'm pretty sure he got banged up that year.

Oshie's entry contract

SEASON AHL SALARY NHL SALARY P. BONUSES S. BONUS CAP HIT 2008-09 $62,500 $850,000 $450,000 $85,000 $1,275,000 2009-10 $62,500 $850,000 $425,000 $85,000 $1,275,000 2010-11 $62,500 $850,000 $400,000 $85,000

$1,275,000

Toewser's entry contract:

SEASON AHL SALARY NHL SALARY P. BONUSES S. BONUS CAP HIT 2007-08 $50,000 $850,000 $1,750,000 — $2,800,000 2008-09 $50,000 $850,000 $1,950,000 — $2,800,000 2009-10 $50,000 $850,000 $2,150,000 — $2,800,000

Brock's entry contract:

SEASON AHL SALARY NHL SALARY P. BONUSES S. BONUS CAP HIT 2012-13 $67,500 $900,000 $1,925,000 $90,000 $2,825,000 2013-14 $67,500 $900,000 $1,925,000 $90,000 $2,825,000 2014-15 $67,500 $900,000 $1,925,000 $90,000 $2,825,000

So, as you can see, Brock's deal is richer- assuming he plays in the NHL

I really think that with those players listed that this team would've been without a doubt the best team in the country. Take a look at these lines;

Gregoire-Knight-Hextall a top-10 line in the country two years ago. Gregoire best overall player in the country.

Nelson-Grimaldi-Kristo probably the best line in the country

MacMillan-Rowney-Miller either this or BC's 3rd line is best 3rd line in the country

Rodwell-Lamoureux-Parks very good energy/grinder line, could put O'Donnell here for more offense

Kreider led BC with 45 points. Gregoire, Knight, Nelson, Grimaldi, and Kristo would all have had over 45 points in this lineup.

To think....a player like O'Donnell could have been a healthy scratch this season.....

I hope everyone got their fill of Jim, aka...the Jimmer this year. I don't think he'll crack the lineup that much next season if all the kids that are supposed to be coming in hold to their commitments.

Interesting. Good for college hockey, I agree. I think Nick could play in the NHL now with his size and strength, but he was invisible everytime I watched gophers play in the later part of the season. Injured maybe?

There is no doubt that Bjugstad was injured during the Omaha series. It was Saturday night and he didn't return for the third and sat out the UW Friday night game. He wasn't the same player and that's not me as a gopher fan making any excuses...he just wasn't. The biggest difference in my eyes between Nelson leaving and Bjugstad is that the Panthers are rock solid as far as young prospects are concerned compared to the Islanders...and Brock has about 10 months on Nick, which can be huge development wise for strength if done properly.

Both kids appear to be cut from the same clothe though, definitely enjoy watching them play. Size, instinct, shots...and they play the game with respect.

• Upvote 1

Do you honesty think the Gophers will be preseason number 1?

With what goaltender? :lol:

Patterson wasn't exactly stellar after he set the shutout record despite all the awards and the Gophers return every defenseman and possibly the top 2 lines in tact. I don't think pre season #1 is that laughable but it's also not a target I'd particularly want.

Do you honesty think the Gophers will be preseason number 1?

With what goaltender? :lol:

Wilcox and Gothberg are both similar-caliber goalies. They are both NHL draft picks, and are among the top goalies in the USHL. I think both Minnesota and UND will be fine in goal next season. Not sure what Minnesota has for depth, since we didn't hardly get to see their backup this season.

Gophers will be pre-season #1 in the WCHA. They won the MacNaughton and they made it to the Frozen Four. Who would oust them? Us? Assuming we lose Blood, Lammy, Eids, Kristo, Nelson and Dell- unlikely.

DU lost Zucker, CC lost Schwartz, UMD lost Reider, Brown, and Connelly (to name a few)

UMN will be pre-season #1

Wilcox and Gothberg are both similar-caliber goalies. They are both NHL draft picks, and are among the top goalies in the USHL. I think both Minnesota and UND will be fine in goal next season. Not sure what Minnesota has for depth, since we didn't hardly get to see their backup this season.

In fact I think the Force writer was torn between the two because of how much Wilcox did for a less than stellar team. Also agree that Minnesota as it stands now should improve on defense with the addition of Skjei and Reilly, two big-time recruits. Hopefully, we can one-up them with Jones and Schmaltz, but in the end all of them will have to prove it on the ice, which is the same for the goalies, because we know the big names are often hit and miss at the goaltending position.

TSN's Bob McKenzie is reporting that Beau Bennett (soph) is leaving DU to sign with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Wow, Zucker, Shore and Bennett, that is quite a hit. You would think that Bennett would want to stay another year after an injury-plagued season, but who knows what his thinking is behind the decision.

Wow, Zucker, Shore and Bennett, that is quite a hit. You would think that Bennett would want to stay another year after an injury-plagued season, but who knows what his thinking is behind the decision.

Wow! What was your favorite Beau Bennett moment? I don't recall the Sioux playing against the guy; seemed like he was always hurt.

Really hurts DU to lose Bennett. As for preseason #1 next year. I'm sure BC will get it due to them winning the title. Personally I think UND will be ranked higher in the preseason national rankings. Minnesota might be ranked higher in the WCHA rankings. They have a lot to prove, though. Other than the first 10 games of the year they weren't very consistent night in and night out.

it's fun to talk about but let's remember who was the preseason number one was this last year-Notre Dame, and that didn't turn out to well for them. that being said I hope the gophs are rated that high early on. being number one in october/november is something they strive for. I remember during our series in minny last year how they were all talking about important it was to be ranked number one. they can be the preseason number one but at the end of the year we will be the better team.

I think the gophs might have hurt themselves by not giving Shibikowski or whatever his name is some starts this year. They've got a good one coming in, but I still think they will have some issues in the nets next year.

Whoever is in the net for Minnesota next year will never have started a college game. Kind of like the Sioux a couple of years ago when Eidsness was a freshman. Walski had made like one start against Bemidji, but was in no way ready to try and carry the load.