SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

It's all the same to me though...

It's all quitting to me. Maybe some think I'm off base here, and that's fine.

It's cowardice. Put a chip on your shoulder and improve and be the best player on the team the next year. Taking the easy way out is becoming too common with football and hockey players and it's pathetic.

It is possible that the Leafs pressured him to go CHL as well. His numbers were not bad for an 18 year old freshman. He also might not like school or the coach or the system. Put it all together and you really only have three choices- transfer schools and sit out a year (no way, not for a first rounder), stick it out at Miami (no fun if you are truly miserable, and if you are miserable, you aren't going to develop), or lastly, go to the CHL.

We don't know the kids circumstances, and he is likely only telling part of the story so as not to burn bridges or cause issues or embarrass himself or others...I mean, he might be in a world of hurt academically too...all conjecture.

It is possible that the Leafs pressured him to go CHL as well. His numbers were not bad for an 18 year old freshman. He also might not like school or the coach or the system. Put it all together and you really only have three choices- transfer schools and sit out a year (no way, not for a first rounder), stick it out at Miami (no fun if you are truly miserable, and if you are miserable, you aren't going to develop), or lastly, go to the CHL.

We don't know the kids circumstances, and he is likely only telling part of the story so as not to burn bridges or cause issues or embarrass himself or others...I mean, he might be in a world of hurt academically too...all conjecture.

Burke is a supporter of college hockey so i don't think the Leafs had anything to do with it.

I don't like it when they leave college but I don't consider it quite as bad as some here seem to. He finished out the season with his team and did his best. He doesn't owe them more than that once the season concludes.

Seems like a number of kids bail out on Miami. You have to wonder if they are going to take a step back after the NCHC forms.

I don't like it when they leave college but I don't consider it quite as bad as some here seem to. He finished out the season with his team and did his best. He doesn't owe them more than that once the season concludes.

Seems like a number of kids bail out on Miami. You have to wonder if they are going to take a step back after the NCHC forms.

I don't blame him either. It's not any diffent than David Toews or Feinhage. Both were fairly high draft picks and knew that their ice tim was going to be limited going forward. Cichy, Breaunateau (sp), Hill to name a few more.

The only complaint I have is people using commitments for bargaining leverage.

Once they do come I think forwards should stay for at least two years and d for 3 but that is purely for developmental reasons. I personally think there aren't a lot of players ready for the jump directly to the NHL before then. Of course I would like everyone to stay all four years, but if they are really ready before then, more power to them.

It will certainly keep the sticks down...as for yaps, I don't think you can get around that with an auto match penalty for fighting still on the books...I do think it is important to keep fighting out of the college game. You don't want the NCAA to be a training ground for goons (not you goon)...Imagine that world...a Michigan Tech vs Alaska game would have endless fighting...it would look like the Federal League...we'd have to get Hak a brown leather suit ala Reg Dunlop.

• Upvote 2

It will certainly keep the sticks down...as for yaps, I don't think you can get around that with an auto match penalty for fighting still on the books...I do think it is important to keep fighting out of the college game. You don't want the NCAA to be a training ground for goons (not you goon)...Imagine that world...a Michigan Tech vs Alaska game would have endless fighting...it would look like the Federal League...we'd have to get Hak a brown leather suit ala Reg Dunlop.

:lol:

More news on college hockey switching to visors. People seem very optimistic.

http://www.collegeho...r_than_ever.php

This was interesting to me:

If the full shields mandate is eliminated, McLaughlin said there is a belief that everyone must go to three-quarter visors instead. If it's optional to still use full shields, then it defeats the purpose of reining in reckless behavior.

So it sounds like even if they wanted to use a full shield, they wouldn't be able to. That might be a tough sell.

This was interesting to me:

If the full shields mandate is eliminated, McLaughlin said there is a belief that everyone must go to three-quarter visors instead. If it's optional to still use full shields, then it defeats the purpose of reining in reckless behavior.

So it sounds like even if they wanted to use a full shield, they wouldn't be able to. That might be a tough sell.

Pretty sure he'll end up wrong on that if they go with the visors. They will surely leave the option for players to use a full mask. You see guys in the NHL often put on a cage after taking a stick or puck to the face, or when playing with a broken jaw, etc. I doubt they'll take that option away from the teams and players.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard today that Anthony LaPanta was named the new voice of the Minnesota Wild (I'm assuming that it's TY). I wonder who will now do the Gopher games?

The broadcast of the Gopher games on FSN was infinitely improved with this move. I think many Gopher fans will agree. The only thing they could do to diminish this would be to give the job to Kevin Gorg. Or Erik Kuselias.