SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

Just a quick question. Please don't get all defensive and turn this into a pissing thread like before. Do the people that think fighting needs to be allowed in college hockey in order to "make the game safer (i.e- checking from behind)" and "stop people from chirping" still believe that after seeing these NHL playoffs? This has been some of the dirtiest hockey I've seen in my entire life.

I'm just curious

Just a quick question. Please don't get all defensive and turn this into a pissing thread like before. Do the people that think fighting needs to be allowed in college hockey in order to "make the game safer (i.e- checking from behind)" and "stop people from chirping" still believe that after seeing these NHL playoffs? This has been some of the dirtiest hockey I've seen in my entire life.

I'm just curious

Normally I think fighting has a place in hockey, just to hold people accountable for dirty hits and to protect skill players from goons. Like you said, these playoffs are throwing all of my justification for fighting out the window. It seems to be doing nothing. I thought the suspensions would help, but those don't seem to be doing any good either. Player's just need to have respect for one another, bottom line.

Didn't know where to put this but found it interesting. Former Minot High and Nebraska Omaha hockey player Jordan Willert has committed to Minot State hockey to use his final year of college eligibility.

Playing time issue or could this be related to Hastings going to MSU-Mankato?

Didn't know where to put this but found it interesting. Former Minot High and Nebraska Omaha hockey player Jordan Willert has committed to Minot State hockey to use his final year of college eligibility.

Did Willert play this last season anywhere? I looked on USCHO website earlier this year to see how he was doing, but didn't see his name on Omaha's roster. He was a junior the year before, so I assume he may have taken a year off because he would have no eligibility left had he played somewhere.

He did not play last year, he had moved home and I got the impression from the article in the Minot Daily that he was done with hockey. The article said he had been watching the Stanley Cup playoffs and getting the bug to play again since he still had the year of eligibility left. The head coach at Minot State had already visited with him and he committed.

Hadn't seen it posted in here yet, but tonight it was officially announced that Minnesota will play Wisconsin at Soldier Field in Chicago on February 17th. In addition, Notre Dame and Miami (OH) will also play at Soldier Field that day.

Hadn't seen it posted in here yet, but tonight it was officially announced that Minnesota will play Wisconsin at Soldier Field in Chicago on February 17th. In addition, Notre Dame and Miami (OH) will also play at Soldier Field that day.

Should be a fun event for all involved. I know it was just finalized, but have you seen a possibly layout for the ice sheet? That is always an issue in these outdoor games. Some seats are great, others aren't worth sitting in at all.

Should be a fun event for all involved. I know it was just finalized, but have you seen a possibly layout for the ice sheet? That is always an issue in these outdoor games. Some seats are great, others aren't worth sitting in at all.

I haven't, but the one plus is that it's a football field so the seating should be much better than a baseball field. I absolutely HATE the seating at baseball fields for a hockey game since the field isn't the right shape for a hockey rink

Maybe, you have to see it live, but the outdoor games have lost any small novelty appeal they had for me. It's never as bright as inside and you can't see the crowd on t.v., plus the variable ice conditions and weather. I will be jacked for the Sioux/UNO outdoor game, though. :D

I haven't, but the one plus is that it's a football field so the seating should be much better than a baseball field. I absolutely HATE the seating at baseball fields for a hockey game since the field isn't the right shape for a hockey rink

That will be a big day for college hockey, though. I wonder if it'll be on NBC Sports.

• Upvote 1

Playing time issue or could this be related to Hastings going to MSU-Mankato?

Wow. Jumped to a few conclusions without knowing any facts here.

Didn't seem to me that Sica made any conclusions. See...that the little squiggly thing at the end of the sentence with a dot under it is a question mark.

• Upvote 1

Maybe, you have to see it live, but the outdoor games have lost any small novelty appeal they had for me. It's never as bright as inside and you can't see the crowd on t.v., plus the variable ice conditions and weather. I will be jacked for the Sioux/UNO outdoor game, though. :D

Totally agree.

Totally agree.

Agree here as well. The ice conditions will be fair to partly crappy based on average high temp at that time of year...not thrilled to watch the Sioux skate in concrete...not trying to be a downer, just realistic...

Miami lost a NTDP recruit to the OHL. Ryan Hartman will join the Plymouth Whalers next season

Via Schlossman

That's 7 NTDPers who have broken college commitments to go CHL in the last 10 months.

I know of at least one other U18er considering doing it too. Gotta ask what's going on in Ann Arbor.

Maybe they should rename it the CNDTP.

The thing is, these kids will be playing in the CHL but when it comes time for the U-18, U-20, World Championships and Olympics, these kids will be wearing Red, White and Blue. So if our neighbors to the north want to use time and resources to help develop players for Team USA, that is just fine with me. :)

Via TSN's Bob McKenzie on twitter

Apparently Biggs was unahppy with his role/ice time at Miami. He had 17 points in 37 games.

Whatever happened to working his butt off this offseason so he can get a larger role/more ice time next year? I'm not familiar with his situation, but he is a 1st round pick, I'm sure he was given every opportunity to begin with, its his own fault he didn't take advantage of it.

• Upvote 1