SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

It's great that it's worked out well for both of you, you have done better than most in that situation.

Thanks. Like I said it's worked out great for us. I'm going to cherish my last year coaching her next year. Going to miss it big time.

• 2 weeks later...

so being it is almost the end of june can we safely say Mr. Bjugstad will be coming back to Minnesota?

i saw something last week that indicated he was going to make up his mind after the Florida prospects camp. also, heard going to summer school, so i'd bet he's coming back.

i saw something last week that indicated he was going to make up his mind after the Florida prospects camp. also, heard going to summer school, so i'd bet he's coming back.

Michael Russo talked about this on the P.A. show the other day, they talked about Parise and Bjugstad and the NHL draft.

I posted on my blog. [click to link] According to Russo, the Panthers have put an offer on the table it's up to Bjugstad to decide.

Edited by Goon

I still think he is coming back too, as this is pretty late in the game (although I did hear what you mentioned...that he was waiting until after camp) but some of those guys still take summer classes to get their degrees. The fact he is going to school shouldn't be the sole factor determining whether he stays or goes. All in all, he has NHL talent and should bounce....good riddance I say.

According to multiple twitter reports, the Plymouth Whalers have once again successfully poached an NCAA player right after the draft. This time it's Michigan recruit Connor Carrick (5th round draft pick).

Carrick appeared to be 100% committed to Michigan and talked about it during his post-draft interviews. A week later, he's off to Plymouth. He would have been a freshman this fall.

*Note: news has not been confirmed by Michigan, Plymouth, Washington or Carrick. It's all twitter reports at the moment.

According to multiple twitter reports, the Plymouth Whalers have once again successfully poached an NCAA player right after the draft. This time it's Michigan recruit Connor Carrick (5th round draft pick).

Carrick appeared to be 100% committed to Michigan and talked about it during his post-draft interviews. A week later, he's off to Plymouth. He would have been a freshman this fall.

The NTDP effect. It's kind of weird that those NTDP kids are the main ones we hear about decommiting these days...

*Note: news has not been confirmed by Michigan, Plymouth, Washington or Carrick. It's all twitter reports at the moment.

Ok my buddy's little cousin got drafted last week and from what I hear it is not even 100% the CHL's fault for poaching....there is no poaching going on after the draft. The kids meeting with the NHL GMs and they tell their draft picks how they should continue their development which would obviously be to go to the CHL. After the whole Justin Schultz debacle, I could understand why NHL GMs would push the CHL route....it's a business decision and when kids go to college and stay there, it get's risky for the team that drafted them. It sucks. The NHL must change the 4-yr rule to 6 yrs or something. Because we are losing a lot of our talent.

I still fail to see how the CHL are the bad guys in this.

I just don't like them, so I'm not going to say nice things about them. Bad guys here or not, I don't support their methods of continuous recruitment/harassment of committed kids. Poaching isn't the right word always, but sometimes it is.

Again, sometimes this is all on the kid, these NTDP kids lack something...

Ok my buddy's little cousin got drafted last week and from what I hear it is not even 100% the CHL's fault for poaching....there is no poaching going on after the draft. The kids meeting with the NHL GMs and they tell their draft picks how they should continue their development which would obviously be to go to the CHL. After the whole Justin Schultz debacle, I could understand why NHL GMs would push the CHL route....it's a business decision and when kids go to college and stay there, it get's risky for the team that drafted them. It sucks. The NHL must change the 4-yr rule to 6 yrs or something. Because we are losing a lot of our talent.

An NHL team may lay out options but they'll leave it up to the player. JT Miller bails on us as a NY Ranger pick and I think that is on him. The Rangers have been successful with college kids that play a few years like McDonagh and Stepan. Not to mention, they just drafted Skjei in the 1st round and he'll be playing for Minnesota. Each individual is different. I think it comes down to how committed a kid actually is to the college route in the first place. If they sense he isn't fully committed to it, they probably allude to other options.

An NHL team may lay out options but they'll leave it up to the player. JT Miller bails on us as a NY Ranger pick and I think that is on him. The Rangers have been successful with college kids that play a few years like McDonagh and Stepan. Not to mention, they just drafted Skjei in the 1st round and he'll be playing for Minnesota. Each individual is different. I think it comes down to how committed a kid actually is to the college route in the first place. If they sense he isn't fully committed to it, they probably allude to other options.

Yeah I am really not trying to preach either route, I'm just saying that if you were an 18 year old kid and an NHL GM gives you his idea of what you should do (go to the CHL) I think many would follow their advice. Also, I am not saying the CHL doesn't poach players....because obviously they do. I am saying these guys that bounce right after the draft are being told what to do. Now some of them may be strong willed in their deceision (ex. Schmaltz) other may simply want to do whatever they can do to get to the NHL and if they are NHL GMs directing them on what to do, I'm guessing they listen.

What I think is that something needs to change regarding the rules. I do believe something has to be done with players that are committed....they must at least play one year for that school. Also, something must be done to get the NHL to support college hockey. The NHL owns a very large portion of the CHL, obviously that is why they want their prospects to go there. Also, the 4 yr rule that says a player can become a free agent after 4 years is absolutely killing college hockey's reputation in the NHL. The Justin Schultz situation is a great example. The guy stayed an extra year in school and then he gets to hit free agency and the Ducks pretty much lose one of their top prospects because of a technicality. Again, I love college hockey but some "fine print....loopwhole" rules must change in order for it to become more popular to the NHL gms....otherswise drafting a college bound players becomes too risky (for business purposes).

I bet he does...but I wouldn't say, at this point, he is a lock. I really think it depends on the player. If they are more relaxed and layed back and simply want to play hockey....they go with their gut on where they want to go. If they are uber dedicated and will do anything to get into the League....they will most likey do whatever the NHL gms want them to do...even back out of their prior commitments.

Yeah I am really not trying to preach either route, I'm just saying that if you were an 18 year old kid and an NHL GM gives you his idea of what you should do (go to the CHL) I think many would follow their advice. Also, I am not saying the CHL doesn't poach players....because obviously they do. I am saying these guys that bounce right after the draft are being told what to do. Now some of them may be strong willed in their deceision (ex. Schmaltz) other may simply want to do whatever they can do to get to the NHL and if they are NHL GMs directing them on what to do, I'm guessing they listen.

What I think is that something needs to change regarding the rules. I do believe something has to be done with players that are committed....they must at least play one year for that school. Also, something must be done to get the NHL to support college hockey. The NHL owns a very large portion of the CHL, obviously that is why they want their prospects to go there. Also, the 4 yr rule that says a player can become a free agent after 4 years is absolutely killing college hockey's reputation in the NHL. The Justin Schultz situation is a great example. The guy stayed an extra year in school and then he gets to hit free agency and the Ducks pretty much lose one of their top prospects because of a technicality. Again, I love college hockey but some "fine print....loopwhole" rules must change in order for it to become more popular to the NHL gms....otherswise drafting a college bound players becomes too risky (for business purposes).

Agree with most of what you said, but how is it college hockey's fault that the CBA has that loophole?

Isn't it the NHLPA and the owners' faults? Or are you just saying 'it is what it is' and not actually blaming college hockey?

-----

And how many players have used that rule, in total? Blake Wheeler, Schultz......Gregoire right? Who else?

Seems like the impact of that loophole has been a bit exaggerated.

Agree with most of what you said, but how is it college hockey's fault that the CBA has that loophole?

Isn't it the NHLPA and the owners' faults?

-----

And how many players have used that rule, in total? Blake Wheeler, Schultz......Gregoire right? Who else?

Seems like the impact of that loophole has been a bit exaggerated.

I don't have any of the answers all I know is that something has to change because some of the current flaws are pretty obvious. You are correct with all those players you listed....there are probably some more but those are some of the ones I know of. I am trying to look at this as unbiasedly as possible, it is very easy to come on this message board and sound off on the CHL, but I think a better use of our time would be to look at the flaws. Also, I never said once it was college hockey fault, youre right it is the NHLPA and the NHLs fault. But there are former college players within the NHLPA and they should be speaking up on some of these issues to promote the developmental route they took. All I'm saying, is that from a business perspective, it is much more risky to draft a college bound player than a CHL bound player under the current rules. I guarantee that if you took a pole of all NHL gms a majority would say the same thing. I just think US Hockey/NCAA must work with the NHL to try and resolve some of these "exaggerated" flaws...as you call it. Because US kids are starting to jump ship more and more and I bet this trend just gets worse unless some sort of pack is established.

I still fail to see how the CHL are the bad guys in this.

Their GMs can be leaches...but you are correct I really don't think they are the "bad guys". Also, they offer money under the table to players (which is against their rules but rarely enforced). They get a bad rep because of the players that leave college to play their at the instruction of the team which drafted them (a majority of the time).

Schlossman tweeted

Michigan had 23 guys play in NHL last year, and kids are convinced they need to go elsewhere in order to get to the NHL. Some of the major junior programs have to have wonderful sales pitches.

It really makes you wonder....

It seems like CHL teams offer these kids the world and convince them that because they are the 'best development league in the world' they will be NHL regulars in 18-24 months, when in reality, only a small percentage actually will be. Yes, college degrees can be obtained later in life, but for many it's easier said than done.

I'm always reminded of Jack Campbell. When he decommitted from Michigan he said that by going the CHL route he would be playing in the NHL in two years. It has been more than two years and Campbell only recently started playing in the AHL. His replacement at Michigan (Shawn Hunwick) saw NHL time this past season. Ouch!

When it comes down to it, there isn't a 'fastest route' to the NHL. It's all about a kid's ability and drive. And honestly, I don't hate the CHL as a development league, I hate the constant harrassment of committed recruits.

• Upvote 1

Schlossman tweeted

It really makes you wonder....

It seems like CHL teams offer these kids the world and convince them that because they are the 'best development league in the world' they will be NHL regulars in 18-24 months, when in reality, only a small percentage actually will be. Yes, college degrees can be obtained later in life, but for many it's easier said than done.

I'm always reminded of Jack Campbell. When he decommitted from Michigan he said that by going the CHL route he would be playing in the NHL in two years. It has been more than two years and Campbell only recently started playing in the AHL. His replacement at Michigan (Shawn Hunwick) saw NHL time this past season. Ouch!

When it comes down to it, there isn't a 'fastest route' to the NHL. It's all about a kid's ability and drive. And honestly, I don't hate the CHL as a development league, I hate the constant harrassment of committed recruits.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. Don't hate the player....hate the game kind of thing. Because of NCAA regulation they simply can't compete (currently) with the CHL (or NHL actaully as the NHL pretty much funds the CHL leagues). Tough situation.

That's not the message I took away from MissSioux's post.

I agreed with her post. Everything I mentioned after that were my own thoughts. You pretty much disagree with everything I say even when you do slightly agree with me. Go get more information on this topic...then post something. Or I might ask, why do you think more kids than ever are going to the CHL? Just to go to Canada? If you think some of these kids are simply being persuaded by only the CHL you are wrong....the NHL teams that draft them push for them to go to the CHL. If you are a kid with NHL aspirations you are going to listen to who took the time to draft you (most of the time).

It's kind of like if I quoted you and then said, "I agree with you, bestiality isn't that big of a deal." It would imply that that's what you said.

Learn how to construct a coherent thought, then post something.

And you dish out criticisms of college hockey constantly, but as soon as anybody says anything about the CHL, you freak out like a 4 year old.

I bet he does...but I wouldn't say, at this point, he is a lock. I really think it depends on the player. If they are more relaxed and layed back and simply want to play hockey....they go with their gut on where they want to go. If they are uber dedicated and will do anything to get into the League....they will most likey do whatever the NHL gms want them to do...even back out of their prior commitments.

Pretty sure Skjei is a sure thing to Minnesota. I remember reading comments from him recently that its been his dream to play for the Gophers and those kind of things, plus he has already started some summer school at Minnesota and even left the Rangers prospect camp early to get back to start school.

I just got done watching the Coyotes prospect camp. Mike Lee and Hextall were playing in it. No one really stood out very much though. Lee looked somewhat weak though and Hextall being the second oldest skater did not stand out. Miles Koules looked pretty good though. He would have been a nice addition.