SiouxSports.com Forum

Polls

gfhockey

31 minutes ago, Goon said:

They've lost three games in a row and still get ranked higher than the team that handed them their @sses. 

Pollsters confuse UND and NDSU ... :0 ... I had to go and pull the pin on that grenade didn't I. :D  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

This is why we need to raise our profile and come into the year with higher preseason ranking.   Each season impacts the next one. 

People say preseason and early season rankings don't matter but they do.  We'd definitely be higher ranked with the same resume if we'd started out more highly regarded.   

And people wonder why I prefer analytics to (opinion) polls. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Mo. State hosts So. Ill this weekend, so another W or Quality Loss.  Then a week off.  Then whomever doesn't get arrested or drop out of school for Mo. State gets to play in the "FCS Way Too Much F'n Respect Bowl" (UNI vrs Mo. State)  Prolly an Instant Classic!!  Joe Protheroe is doing the coin flip.

It’ll take Joe 10 carries to get to mid field for the flip lol

• Upvote 4

The SIU - MSU game will be a big game in the conference.  If MSU loses they will have 4 losses.  However their remaining games are against UNI, Western Illinois, South Dakota, Youngstown and Indiana State.  Very winnable games as they don't play NDSU this year.  They would be 7-4 if SIU beats them, and SIU would be 4-2 and lets say they only lose two more games they would be 7-4 also.  So UND, MSU, and SIU could all be 7-4.  I would hope all would get into the playoffs.  SIU doesn't play SDSU this year so they could end up going 8-3 if they beat MSU and then only lose to NDSU.   I'm glad we beat MSU with some style points.  

Not sure who I want to win in the SIU - MSU game, but either way we just need to keep winning. 

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

The SIU - MSU game will be a big game in the conference.  If MSU loses they will have 4 losses.  However their remaining games are against UNI, Western Illinois, South Dakota, Youngstown and Indiana State.  Very winnable games as they don't play NDSU this year.  They would be 7-4 if SIU beats them, and SIU would be 4-2 and lets say they only lose two more games they would be 7-4 also.  So UND, MSU, and SIU could all be 7-4.  I would hope all would get into the playoffs.  SIU doesn't play SDSU this year so they could end up going 8-3 if they beat MSU and then only lose to NDSU.   I'm glad we beat MSU with some style points.  

Not sure who I want to win in the SIU - MSU game, but either way we just need to keep winning. 

If I gotta choose I'll take the team that doesn't have 49 transfer players. 

Polls are fund to talk about and see where you stack up against the rest of the teams in the country, but they are meaningless.  They have no bearing on the playoff rankings and who does and doesn't make the playhoffs.  So wheile we can complain about our ranking and other teams ranking, it doesn't really matter in the end.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Polls are fund to talk about and see where you stack up against the rest of the teams in the country, but they are meaningless.  They have no bearing on the playoff rankings and who does and doesn't make the playhoffs.  So wheile we can complain about our ranking and other teams ranking, it doesn't really matter in the end.

Agreed. It would be really helpful to stomp Youngstown on the road this week.

6 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If you are not in the FCS top 25, you will never get a bye in the NCAA tourney.  Just look back at years past. 

If you are not in the FCS top 25 all season and expect to jump into like the top 5 in the last week, you must believe in the BIG LIE.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Mo. State hosts So. Ill this weekend, so another W or Quality Loss.  Then a week off.  Then whomever doesn't get arrested or drop out of school for Mo. State gets to play in the "FCS Way Too Much F'n Respect Bowl" (UNI vrs Mo. State)  Prolly an Instant Classic!!  Joe Protheroe is doing the coin flip.

Lets be careful about how talk about JoPro ... Best player to ever lace up the cleats. Have they put his statue up in SLO yet?

13 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

If you are not in the FCS top 25, you will never get a bye in the NCAA tourney.  Just look back at years past. 

If you are not in the FCS top 25 all season and expect to jump into like the top 5 in the last week, you must believe in the BIG LIE.

My point was the playoff committee doesn't look at the polls when deciding playoff seeding and who makes it in.  Sure there are parallels between the teams that are rannked high in the STATS poll and the teams that get seeded, but the polls are not used by the playoff committee.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

My point was the playoff committee doesn't look at the polls when deciding playoff seeding and who makes it in.  Sure there are parallels between the teams that are rannked high in the STATS poll and the teams that get seeded, but the polls are not used by the playoff committee.

Pretty sure the coaches poll is still used as a data point.  https://herosports.com/football-coaches-poll-problem-bzbz/

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Does anyone doubt if we win out we would be top 5 and receive a first round bye?  Just win...sexy, boring, ugly, exciting...just win.

Yeah, if we win out we'd beat the number 2 team at home and the number 1 team in their place. We'd probably be top 2, since those two will play each other too. One week at a time, though, all attention should be on the Pens

• Upvote 1