SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

Obviously we all would love to beat Nebraska, but what would be an ok lose heading into week two? I am afraid they get blown out and injuries pile up week one. It can be hard to stay focused after a blow out loss. I am hoping they stay within 21 of Nebraska. Others have lost by 70 to Nebraska. 

44 minutes ago, 108498 said:

Obviously we all would love to beat Nebraska, but what would be an ok lose heading into week two? I am afraid they get blown out and injuries pile up week one. It can be hard to stay focused after a blow out loss. I am hoping they stay within 21 of Nebraska. Others have lost by 70 to Nebraska. 

I'd like for it to feel like it's still a game.....midway or at the end of the 3rd quarter, as in down by no more than 14, and have their fans feeling frustrated.  

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

No

losing to UNI will.

Agree, especially if we didn't look good against UNI.  Should we lose to UNI, we'd have to beat Southern Illinois on the road to remain on track for being at least 3-2 after the first 5 games. 

18 hours ago, 108498 said:

Can all the season build up be destroyed with a surprisingly large loss to Nebraska?

Destroyed, no, but "surprisingly large loss" I think would deflate it a little. For me, look at Utah State last year. That didn't help build momentum, that's for sure. 

• Like 2

On 8/6/2022 at 1:47 PM, Teeder11 said:

No practice tomorrow. Off day.  I am not sure where sked is posted. If I find it i’ll post here. 

I haven’t found a schedule anywhere but messaged Tom Miller and he said they’re on this week M-Th, off Friday, back Saturday. 8:45-10:30

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Destroyed, no, but "surprisingly large loss" I think would deflate it a little. For me, look at Utah State last year. That didn't help build momentum, that's for sure. 

The Utah State second half collapse - given it was technically a loss to FBS - was quickly overlooked last season given the big upcoming game vs NDSU. In retrospect, it turned out that the 2021 UND team lacked “killer instinct” the entire season. Blown leads/late opportunities against Utah St., NDSU, SIU, Missouri State, South Dakota St., etc. would end up being the norm and haunting UND the entire 2021 season. Turned out the Utah State game was telling for the entire season; the whole FBS/FCS thing got overblown. 

The point here is simple. If UND loses at Nebraska, they can still have a successful season, but getting “destroyed” at Nebraska should not be overlooked as UND just being outmatched. Rather, it would be concerning for UND not being ready to be a competitive winning team in 2022. Need to at least keep the Nebraska game competitive for 3+ quarters or there will be some concern. The UNI game is important, but the whole season isn’t wrapped into the first two games; remember 2016 season? 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The Utah State second half collapse - given it was technically a loss to FBS - was quickly overlooked last season given the big upcoming game vs NDSU. In retrospect, it turned out that the 2021 UND team lacked “killer instinct” the entire season. Blown leads/late opportunities against Utah St., NDSU, SIU, Missouri State, South Dakota St., etc. would end up being the norm and haunting UND the entire 2021 season. Turned out the Utah State game was telling for the entire season; the whole FBS/FCS thing got overblown. 

The point here is simple. If UND loses at Nebraska, they can still have a successful season, but getting “destroyed” at Nebraska should not be overlooked as UND just being outmatched. Rather, it would be concerning for UND not being ready to be a competitive winning team in 2022. Need to at least keep the Nebraska game competitive for 3+ quarters or there will be some concern. The UNI game is important, but the whole season isn’t wrapped into the first two games; remember 2016 season? 

Good points.  In retrospect that 9 game run seems like the pinnacle of Bubba's run at UND.  IMO lots of "close but no cigar" moments since then.  Hopefully that changes this fall.