SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

18 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Don't sleep on Romfo. Doing well thus far and he is a 3-time ND FB state champion (2018-2020). His pedigree is under the radar given Feeney had the big Minnesota accolades, but Romfo can get the job done potentially. Morale of this story is UND needs to keep recruiting good football players from North Dakota at all classifications. 

It would be really fun to have a great athlete at qb. Poor man’s Murray if you will.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Not sure that is even in his game, unfortunately. Just not who he is as a FB player. Some things you just can't develop. I am hoping Quincy Vaughn, Simon Romfo, or Trey Feeney can push him for the starting job, but that is questionable. I think the season win total is capped at 7 games with Tommy at QB; just not explosive enough to take UND to the next level. 

But wasn’t that his game in HS? I don’t need a QB option type of run. I want him to scramble when there is no throw so he tucks it and runs to pick up yards. No reason to worry about him getting hurt. We have enough other guys waiting in the wings.

49 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

I think running could definitely become a small part of Tommy’s game. You saw the potential in the Sam Houston game and also felt like he looked to run a little more at the end of last year.

Yes it absolutely can become part of his game.  As others have said, not necessarily designed runs, but when he is back to pass and something opens up and he can get 5-6 easy yards.....take it unless there is an open WR.  As someone eluded too, he did that against SDSU last year.....think somebody said he ran 10 times.   I do remember one time in one game, can't remember if it was last year or the year before.....I think it was 3rd and like 8 or something.......he scrambled out to the right....could have picked up 10-15 yards and a first down but he decided to make a throw 25 yards down field that was incomplete. 

I wonder if Tommy will ever publicly allude to his ability to illude defenders to allow him to elude sacks. 

I wonder if Tommy will ever publicly hint at his ability to trick defenders to allow him to escape sacks. 

(That's what happens when mom had an English degree.) 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Made my first fall camp practice today. Snapshot impressions of QB rankings today:

1. Tommy

2a. Romfo (took a lot of reps)

2b. Q

4. Feeney

5. Hackel 

Also: True Freshman  Caden Dennis finally made his appearance known in Team drills with the 3s and 4s on Defense with a long TD catch and run down the middle. Blew by coverage. 

Should earn him more reps with the 1s and 2s next week. 

Thanks teeder

Qb rating is very surprising 

How is the other romfo looking?

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

Made my first fall camp practice today. Snapshot impressions of QB rankings today:

1. Tommy

2a. Romfo (took a lot of reps)

2b. Q

4. Feeney

5. Hackel 

Also: True Freshman  Caden Dennis finally made his appearance known in Team drills with the 3s and 4s on Defense with a long TD catch and run down the middle. Blew by coverage. 

Should earn him more reps with the 1s and 2s next week. 

who threw the td?

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Thanks teeder

Qb rating is very surprising 

How is the other romfo looking?

#38 Grant appears bigger than #6 Simon. He’s  being used as a utility player on offense right now. Listed as a wideout but played more as a running back today. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

how does loztzy look? (sp i know)

Not enough body of work to judge. The  2deep OL is skilled and talented but they need a ton more live reps. With what they have and what’s coming in, they have the makings of something special in the next few years if they can avoid injury bug and transfer portal issues. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

What type of QB is Romfo? Obviously he’s smaller so I’m guessing he’s more of a mobile guy but have never seen him play. 

I am not sure yet. His snaps are fairly balanced between designed runs and throws. Coaches  are just running him through the play book like the others. In the brief snapshot that I saw him in person, his command at the line is more confident and decision-making when plays break down seems a half step quicker than the other young QBs, and his throws are crisper and more on target when compared to Q. Just seems that Q gets the yips at times on the routine throws, especially during live drills.

Some players I’m most intrigued/excited by: 

New faces & immediate impact: 

Wilson - looks to be very shifty and what the WR group needed 

Buckner - sounds like he’s exactly what was needed to replace Canady 

Hoosman - veteran with a lot of big time experience that should compliment Smith very well 

Returning & bigger impact:

Smith - was awesome last season and has earned a lot more carries 

Preston - hope to see him get way more targets 

Maag - bounce back year from injury 

Ventrelli - chance to follow in Waletzko’s footsteps 

• Upvote 3

Are Romfo and feeney walk ones or scholarship players 

would be nice to see a break out QB that is way ahead of the others 

when Q is in there the other team is pretty sure what’s going to happen

41 minutes ago, Kab said:

Feeney - scholarship 

Romfo - PWO

41 minutes ago, Kab said:

Ronfo was initially unless he earned one

feeney is a scholarship 

1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

Some players I’m most intrigued/excited by: 

New faces & immediate impact: 

Wilson - looks to be very shifty and what the WR group needed 

Buckner - sounds like he’s exactly what was needed to replace Canady 

Hoosman - veteran with a lot of big time experience that should compliment Smith very well 

Returning & bigger impact:

Smith - was awesome last season and has earned a lot more carries 

Preston - hope to see him get way more targets 

Maag - bounce back year from injury 

Ventrelli - chance to follow in Waletzko’s footsteps 

Totally agree with all of this.  Particularly excited about Wilson being a playmaker.  Also from Miller's write up's Caden Dennis has made some plays....he may finally be that deep threat for us.  I could see them pulling his shirt this year.  Also Miller mentioned Klein has been making some plays.  Pretty excited overall about the WR group this fall, nice mix of guys who can do different things.  

Just read Miller's write ups for the Day 3 and Day 4 practice.  Getting super excited about this team and this fall.  It's easy to have the Kelly Green glasses on this time of year though :)

• Upvote 1

This is the group that I am looking forward to seeing.

Offense:

OL:  Anderson So, Carroll R-Fr, and Kuntz So/Hagen R-Fr

WR:  Klien So and Wilson Jr

RB:  Mitchell So

Defense:

DL:  Schultz R-Fr, Orlando So, and Ogbu Sr

LB:  McNeal R-Fr, Cooper Gr

DBs:  Bishop R-Fr, Buckner Sr