SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

21 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I've been reading all of Tom Miller's practice summaries, along with the UNDFootball360 position group reviews and they are definitely getting me excited for the season.

I've never though Tom was overly optimistic about the UND Football team. Not in a bad way, I think he just tries to me more realistic than fans and doesn't view the season with hope and kelly green glasses in his reporting. This season he seem a little more positive in his writeups .... not necessarily from his own perspective, but it just sounds like there have been a lot of positives to talk about at camp.

I was going to post the same thing. The talk around this team from both Miller & 360 has been different then ever before. Much more positive then usual. 

Now, we keep our fingers crossed about Fall camp injuries. Based on Millers write up today, they are starting to see some. He did mention that he wouldn’t go into details unless they looked to impact the regular season, so hopefully just some minor dings so far. 

6 minutes ago, Kab said:

Is Feeney showing anything in camp?

not seeing anything from Miller in his write-ups.

Sounds like Romfo is just outplaying him. Nice to see Romfo step up, but disappointing if Feeney is looking average after sounding like such a big recruiting get and having time in the program. That being said Feeney still has plenty of time in this program to develop and grow into a great player.

I know I was really impatient with Quincy right away as well. He was this big kid with some nice recruiting accolades and switch to UND from Old Dominion. He has had his flashes, but certainly had his flaws. Sounds like he has had some nice moments in practice this Fall though and hopefully his contributions will continue.

I get the saying of if you have two QBs, you don't have any. Though Tommy and Quincy have such opposite styles I feel like you can use them as you need against different defenses and situationally. I still think one of my favorite Quincy snap was a 3rd or 4th and 1. Everyone in the building though Q was going to push it up the middle and instead there was a shovel pass or a handoff to Skokna who took it to the sideline and burned the defense for big yardage. I don't think I've seen that play run since.

I didn't know much about Red Wilson but I kept seeing his name pop up in Miller's article.
From a smaller town in Georgia, went to a non-scholarship JuCo in Virginia, MN (Mesabi Range) and played two years (no season in 2020/21 due CoVid.

His highlight video is pretty fun to watch. Makes it until after the 3 minute mark before he gets tackled. Could be a very legit weapon out of the slot and possibly as a punt returner if they don't want to put Skokna back there. I can see how he's standing out in practice with quickness like that.
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13052360/6179d607688eb308d0a9a77d

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I didn't know much about Red Wilson but I kept seeing his name pop up in Miller's article.
From a smaller town in Georgia, went to a non-scholarship JuCo in Virginia, MN (Mesabi Range) and played two years (no season in 2020/21 due CoVid.

His highlight video is pretty fun to watch. Makes it until after the 3 minute mark before he gets tackled. Could be a very legit weapon out of the slot and possibly as a punt returner if they don't want to put Skokna back there. I can see how he's standing out in practice with quickness like that.
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13052360/6179d607688eb308d0a9a77d

He kind of reminds me of Santiago with his quickness and shiftiness.  granted it is juco.  Great to see him doing this in practice.

33 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

He kind of reminds me of Santiago with his quickness and shiftiness.  granted it is juco.  Great to see him doing this in practice.

That’s what the 360 guys said. Said he even looks like him. Interested to see if they hand him the ball a bit. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 108498 said:

Since Nebraska is not our important game. Should and will UND hold its cards close and not show skills until game 2? 

I would think you see how it plays out to begin. If you’re in it in the second half, go for it. Winning programs can’t just accept the L. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, 108498 said:

Since Nebraska is not our important game. Should and will UND hold its cards close and not show skills until game 2? 

Looking back at the Utah State game the offense was pretty wide open. We got burned by their speed and depth in the second half.

17 minutes ago, Kab said:

Dom  says we go 5 and 6 just like last year 

let’s prove him wrong 

I think a more experienced Tommy will be the difference this year.  Instead of losing games by just a few points, I think we win them by 7-14.

I picked it up toward the end so I didn’t get to see most of the game predictions

he said we could be 2 and 2 after 4 games or o and 4 after 4 games depending on the northern Iowa game.

at the end he said 5 and 6 for the season 

12 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

So which games did he think we'd lose?  (besides to NDSU)

I would guess he had us losing to UNI, SIU, and Missouri State. Then losses  to NDSU, SDSU, and Nebraska. It's conceivable that happens, and especially if you are a hater......kind of like every person is other than UND fans. I think we win at least two of those games and go 7-4. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I think a more experienced Tommy will be the difference this year.  Instead of losing games by just a few points, I think we win them by 7-14.

I agree.  Tommy's a winner and I think, with a couple of years experience under his belt, he's going to be more comfortable and take a big step this year.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I agree that a more experienced Tommy will help this year and him picking up some key yardage on the ground at times will help. But as we've all said, it's really going to come down to if the OL is improved from last year.  Once we got inside the 20 last year it was tough sledding for us on the ground. If it's 3rd and 1 from the 8 yard line, can we pound it up the middle for a first down, or do we have to run a trick play to pick up that one yard like last year. 

Massey has us at #9 while only having a 6-5 record (counting UNI as a loss at 49%). For those of you who discount the use of computer rankings, let me point out that after the Drake game last year Massey predicted the winner of every UND game for the remainder of the season and was within a few points of the actual spread on all games with the exception of one where UND performed approximately 7 points better (SDSU) and one approximately 7 points worse (I can't recall which game).

This said, a win against UNI (49%) and a road win at Southern Illinois (44%) would do wonders for the confidence of this team and likely produce a winning and game finishing mentality that wasn't there last year.

31 minutes ago, cpa_guy said:

Massey has us at #9 while only having a 6-5 record (counting UNI as a loss at 49%). For those of you who discount the use of computer rankings, let me point out that after the Drake game last year Massey predicted the winner of every UND game for the remainder of the season and was within a few points of the actual spread on all games with the exception of one where UND performed approximately 7 points better (SDSU) and one approximately 7 points worse (I can't recall which game).

This said, a win against UNI (49%) and a road win at Southern Illinois (44%) would do wonders for the confidence of this team and likely produce a winning and game finishing mentality that wasn't there last year.

UNI at Potato Bowl is huge. Potato Bowl is a monster for opposition to deal with. Be loud; pack the Al!

• Upvote 4