SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

We are probably ranked appropriately given what we did last year but have much greater potential.  It's probably going to come down to coaching.  Bubba needs to up his game management greatly.  Given that last year was his 12th as head coach and probably the worst game decisions of the 12 I am hopeful but not counting on it.  He doesn't seem to have an introspective bone in his body.  4th downs aside we were bitten in the butt by special teams and general disorganization.  The other coaching factor is strength and conditioning.  I hope we are over the great "we need leaner linemen" experiment.  We have some talent but they need to be put in a position to win.  I am not close to the program but I really hope someone had some conversations with Bubba in the off season.  No reason why we can't make a serious run this season.  

• Upvote 2

Initial Depth Chart thoughts. Offensive Line.

• Offensive Line.
    • Kilty is staying at Right Guard (He was listed as Left Tackle on Spring Ball depth chart)
    • One returning starter at the position they started last year
    • Three new starters
    • Very young O-Line
    • Christian / Lavell who "co-starters" throughout last Fall at Guard overtaken by transfer Bryant (Great sign)
    • Carroll Up to 285 which is a little light, but no worries
    • Lotysz not listed as injured

I'm excited. The two biggest things I was keeping my eye on was (1) Could Carroll get up to 285 (2) Could a Transfer start over a returner. What's exciting is this is kind of a foundation year. If they can improve from last year and be solid, next year this unit will be really good.

Left Tackle (Senior / Sophomore)

Left Guard (Sophomore / Senior)

Center (R-Freshman / Sophomore)

Right Guard (Sophomore / Junior)

Right Tackle (Sophomore / R-Freshman)

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

Initial Depth Chart thoughts. Offensive Line.

• Offensive Line.
    • Kilty is staying at Right Guard (He was listed as Left Tackle on Spring Ball depth chart)
    • One returning starter at the position they started last year
    • Three new starters
    • Very young O-Line
    • Christian / Lavell who "co-starters" throughout last Fall at Guard overtaken by transfer Bryant (Great sign)
    • Carroll Up to 285 which is a little light, but no worries
    • Lotysz not listed as injured

I'm excited. The two biggest things I was keeping my eye on was (1) Could Carroll get up to 285 (2) Could a Transfer start over a returner. What's exciting is this is kind of a foundation year. If they can improve from last year and be solid, next year this unit will be really good.

Left Tackle (Senior / Sophomore)

Left Guard (Sophomore / Senior)

Center (R-Freshman / Sophomore)

Right Guard (Sophomore / Junior)

Right Tackle (Sophomore / R-Freshman)

Good take.  I feel like we have been saying that at OL for years.   Could Oliphant take over the other guard spot and move Kilty out to tackle?  

My other thoughts:

Jaelen Johnson is an All Conference or better talent.  I think he along with Sammy Fort or my picks for who steps up their game on D this year.  

Even with the losses at CB our secondary has a chance to be really good this season. 

43 minutes ago, homer said:

Good take.  I feel like we have been saying that at OL for years.   Could Oliphant take over the other guard spot and move Kilty out to tackle?  

My other thoughts:

Jaelen Johnson is an All Conference or better talent.  I think he along with Sammy Fort or my picks for who steps up their game on D this year.  

Even with the losses at CB our secondary has a chance to be really good this season. 

I'd put MVJ as a player who could really step up as well. Though splitting snaps with Cooper could limit him a bit.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Kab said:

I see Und picked 7th in mvfc poll.

is that too low?

From a UND supporter standpoint, absolutely that’s too low. UND should be top 3 every year. But, last year UND was a bad football team and preseason polls are usually just an extension of previous season’s standings. There should be pressure on Bubba and his staff to improve, but I have no idea if Chaves even expects UND to be elite in anything other than hockey.  From outside looking in, seems that Chaves has been really swayed by the hockey side of the department. 

9 hours ago, Irish said:

We are probably ranked appropriately given what we did last year but have much greater potential.  It's probably going to come down to coaching.  Bubba needs to up his game management greatly.  Given that last year was his 12th as head coach and probably the worst game decisions of the 12 I am hopeful but not counting on it.  He doesn't seem to have an introspective bone in his body.  4th downs aside we were bitten in the butt by special teams and general disorganization.  The other coaching factor is strength and conditioning.  I hope we are over the great "we need leaner linemen" experiment.  We have some talent but they need to be put in a position to win.  I am not close to the program but I really hope someone had some conversations with Bubba in the off season.  No reason why we can't make a serious run this season.  

• I know it's easy to just claim that the staff does no self-scouting and reflection on decisions but the hyperbole on it is a bit much.
  • The "leaner linemen experiment" was a 1-year thing that they had to try to do because the O-Line was not left in a great spot by the previous coach. It was meant as a 1-year stopgap until they could revamp what and where they wanted the O-Line to be at and has been gone since after the 2019 season

I think we're all in agreement that there is room from improvement from both the X's and O's and the execution of that from the Jimmy's and the Joe's. If we can see even just a little bit of improvement from last year, I like the way things are headed. And my expectation is to see more than just a little bit of improvement. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, jdub27 said:
  • I know it's easy to just claim that the staff does no self-scouting and reflection on decisions but the hyperbole on it is a bit much.
  • The "leaner linemen experiment" was a 1-year thing that they had to try to do because the O-Line was not left in a great spot by the previous coach. It was meant as a 1-year stopgap until they could revamp what and where they wanted the O-Line to be at and has been gone since after the 2019 season

I think we're all in agreement that there is room from improvement from both the X's and O's and the execution of that from the Jimmy's and the Joe's. If we can see even just a little bit of improvement from last year, I like the way things are headed. And my expectation is to see more than just a little bit of improvement. 

This is an optimistic perspective, which I can appreciate because I tend to do the same thing. But being devils advocate here, I’d say Bubba is who he is at this point. The UND football failures I’ve seen over his tenure are a culture-wide issue; the teams seem stale and not very excitable. Numerous 4th quarter/late game collapses. I think we are quickly approaching a point where Bubba needs to resign and have a more youthful, energetic coach take his place, likely Freund, or an outside hire. Not happening for 2022, but a real possibility for as soon as 2023 pending how things go. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I’m assuming that they just pencil in the transfers at the bottom of the chart for now. If KK is starting at safety it’s not good. He’s a good tackler but has been a liability in coverage. Really need to hope Oliphant steps up and Kilty can get slid out to OT.

agreed about kk....need your weakest link replaced each year.  

You guys have been watching UND football for many more years than me so let me know your thoughts.

I have been hearing and knowing that we needed more beef and depth on the Defensive Line (this was one of our biggest weaknesses in the last few years).  So I think with Johnson, Morrison, Beach and Orlando that this position group is going to be a lot better and help with the inside running games that have hurt us during the last few seasons of league play.

Excited about McNaboe as well!

Thoughts? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Wright4UND said:

You guys have been watching UND football for many more years than me so let me know your thoughts.

I have been hearing and knowing that we needed more beef and depth on the Defensive Line (this was one of our biggest weaknesses in the last few years).  So I think with Johnson, Morrison, Beach and Orlando that this position group is going to be a lot better and help with the inside running games that have hurt us during the last few seasons of league play.

Thoughts? 

I agree.  I think our DL will be a strength this year.  

11 minutes ago, Wright4UND said:

Thoughts? 

I definitely agree.  My concern on D is the secondary and depth at LB, although the potential is there in the secondary.

22 minutes ago, Wright4UND said:

Thoughts? 

I really liked Pierre who is not listed anymore. Not sure what happened.

With our D a 3-4 the LBs need to beef up in the middle too. Looking forward to seeing how they have progressed.

18 minutes ago, Wright4UND said:

Thoughts? 

I think a lot of us have been excited about Orlando since we recruited him, big, physical, and athletic.  Having 3 NG's now at the proper weight should really help late in games when teams like NDSU want to try and run it down our throats.  Hoping some other guys like Lennon etc. continue to improve.   Seems like we are recruiting DE's now that are already bigger coming out of HS than before, some of our DE recruits are already 240-250  as high school juniors.   Need that size to compete with the big OL's in the MVFC. 

41 minutes ago, shep said:

With our D a 3-4 the LBs need to beef up in the middle too. Looking forward to seeing how they have progressed.

I remember reading something regarding Law School with him not too long ago.

not sure why the easy obvious questions und fb fans have RIGHT NOW couldn't be resolved with a quick tweet by the heraldos out there......mind boggling...............

"hey bubba where is Pierre".....

"quit to focus on law school"....

send tweet....?

wtf

1 hour ago, shep said:

Pierre is focusing on Law School - can't fault him for that!