SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

I think a lot of us have been excited about Orlando since we recruited him, big, physical, and athletic.  Having 3 NG's now at the proper weight should really help late in games when teams like NDSU want to try and run it down our throats.  Hoping some other guys like Lennon etc. continue to improve.   Seems like we are recruiting DE's now that are already bigger coming out of HS than before, some of our DE recruits are already 240-250  as high school juniors.   Need that size to compete with the big OL's in the MVFC. 

Ledbetter listed at 270. Big boy!

From Miller's article on Day 1 practice:  "One of the surprises of the depth chart was starting right tackle Jack Kuntz of Devils Lake."   If he is good enough to start at tackle and they are able to move Kilty to Guard, which they are experimenting with that would be great.  Sounds like they realize we need to be much better on the interior OL, which is true.   Hopefully if we run it up the middle this year on 2nd and 2 we pick up 3 yards instead of losing 1. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, AJS said:

2022-08-03 07_19_56-.png

A few thoughts

1. Nice to see Smith listed at #1 RB as he is the most dynamic back.  Hoping we can get off to better starts offensively this year.  I think it took 4-5 game Weah's first year playing to get moved into the starting spot even though it was clear he should be the #1.  4 RB's with experience....we should have good depth there even if Mitchell is still out for a while. Could Ziebarth end up with as many carries as Skokna by the end of the year? Ziebarth looked pretty good in limited action last year and has more size than Skokna.  

2.  Feeney at #4 on depth chart, is Romfo that good....or is Feeney not as good as we thought? 

3.  We have 3 Kickers......are any of them capable of making a 42 yard FG 7 out of 10 times? 

4. Surprised Navratil is listed as an Or with Ted Mullin at OLB.  Figured Navratil would for sure be starter.  Looks like we should have a good 2 deep at OLB. 

5. Some previously unfamiliar names on the DB 2 deep, hopefully they will be solid.  

6. Hoping Klein can emerge as a sneaky weapon at times with his height. 

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

In light of Maag's hole in one, do we rename the position he plays to "Ace" receiver? 

Excited on WR's.  Healthy Maag, Klein zalvaney.  All have height.  Belquist, Preston, Wright with some speed.  Not to mention the newcomers.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Excited on WR's.  Healthy Maag, Klein zalvaney.  All have height.  Belquist, Preston, Wright with some speed.  Not to mention the newcomers.

Absolutely. I am also curious about Montrellis "Red" Wilson as a slot threat. He shows some scoot in his Hudl, regardless of the competition level.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13052360/Montrellis-Wilson

He reminds me of Weah in open space, minus the slippery fingers.  Have we had a true slot receiver option since R.J. Magill?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Absolutely. I am also curious about Montrellis "Red" Wilson as a slot threat. He shows some scoot in his Hudl, regardless of the competition level.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13052360/Montrellis-Wilson

He reminds me of Weah in open space, minus the slippery fingers.  Have we had a true slot receiver option since R.J. Magill?

Sounds like Red is making noise in camp.

Matt Nelson is new to the group with Kelly and Shannon.

Questions about the lack of experience at RT with Kuntz and Hagen but Hagen is their breakout OL.

Oliphant is real deal but banged up in spring; hoping Lotysz pushes Carroll at C.

Tommorrow talking about the 10 TEs on the roster.

11 minutes ago, shep said:

Matt Nelson is new to the group with Kelly and Shannon.

Questions about the lack of experience at RT with Kuntz and Hagen but Hagen is their breakout OL.

Oliphant is real deal but banged up in spring; hoping Lotysz pushes Carroll at C.

Tommorrow talking about the 10 TEs on the roster.

They seem to like the o line but are cautious due to experience issues. Ventrelli at left tackle is a good move

Oline really is the biggest question mark this season. Not a ton of experience but the transfers should help once they figure out the offense. No reason this unit couldn’t be solid once they work through the preseason. We have some good talent that just needs to put it on the field!

36 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Tommy needs to run! He can run and needs to be elusive in the pocket and take off to run. No more worrying about the inexperience behind him!

if we see this out of Tommy he may start the whole year

Tommy's best game last Fall and overall (given opponent, ect) I would say the offenses best game was @ South Dakota State. I do think a lot of that was attributed to Tommy running by far the most he did all year. It wasn't anything crazy, maybe four / five times, but he got decent chunks of yards, moved the chains. Completely agree, he needs to run when given the chance. 

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, AJS said:

Tommy's best game last Fall and overall (given opponent, ect) I would say the offenses best game was @ South Dakota State. I do think a lot of that was attributed to Tommy running by far the most he did all year. It wasn't anything crazy, maybe four / five times, but he got decent chunks of yards, moved the chains. Completely agree, he needs to run when given the chance. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4579073/tommy-schuster

Tommy had the most attempts and yards against the Jacks, 10 for 31 yards.  But for the season, he averaged 3.7 rushes for 8 yards.  Take out the Jacks game and it was only an average of 3.1 rushes for 5.8 yards.  

Tommy is a good runner.  He is elusive and as we all know, rarely gets sacked.  Not sure if running the ball for yardage isn't one of Tommy's strengths, or if Freund doesn't call run plays for him and just leaves that for when Quincey is under center.  Have to mix it up more and keep the defense guessing.  Not fooling anoyone wo think Tommy is going to run when stats show that he doesn't.  Same thing applies for with Quincey is in there.  Majority ofthe time he runs.

A successful QB strategy in my opinion would be to make both our QB's more two dimensional.