SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

As someone who's been pretty optimistic about the O-Line, listening to 360's preview today and reading this article has me really excited for this unit. Taking from both, the highlights being.

• Lotysz being healthy and battling for the starting center position with Carroll
  • Bryant has impressed (current LG starter)
  • Kuntz / Hagen fighting for Right Tackle spot
  • Kilty back at RG (360 feels that's his best position)

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/und-football-fall-camp-day-2-offensive-linemen-building-bodies-of-work-after-injuries

2 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

This should be a good thing. I may have missed it but what happened to Heinert? I really liked him.

From the article

Brian Shawn will take over for Alex Heinert due to increasing conflicts between Midco Sports broadcasts of UND football and men's hockey.

For the first time, Midco Sports will be covering select UND road conference football games — something the Big Sky Conference did not allow, but the Missouri Valley Football Conference does.

There are two conference road games this season on dates when UND is home for hockey. Instead of splitting the football duties between Shawn and Heinert, Midco decided to put Shawn on football games full-time and keep Heinert as the primary play-by-play voice of UND men's hockey

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

From the article

Brian Shawn will take over for Alex Heinert due to increasing conflicts between Midco Sports broadcasts of UND football and men's hockey.

For the first time, Midco Sports will be covering select UND road conference football games — something the Big Sky Conference did not allow, but the Missouri Valley Football Conference does.

There are two conference road games this season on dates when UND is home for hockey. Instead of splitting the football duties between Shawn and Heinert, Midco decided to put Shawn on football games full-time and keep Heinert as the primary play-by-play voice of UND men's hockey

Thanks, that's what happens when I skim articles.

17 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

A few thoughts

1. Nice to see Smith listed at #1 RB as he is the most dynamic back.  Hoping we can get off to better starts offensively this year.  I think it took 4-5 game Weah's first year playing to get moved into the starting spot even though it was clear he should be the #1.  4 RB's with experience....we should have good depth there even if Mitchell is still out for a while. Could Ziebarth end up with as many carries as Skokna by the end of the year? Ziebarth looked pretty good in limited action last year and has more size than Skokna.  

2.  Feeney at #4 on depth chart, is Romfo that good....or is Feeney not as good as we thought? 

3.  We have 3 Kickers......are any of them capable of making a 42 yard FG 7 out of 10 times? 

4. Surprised Navratil is listed as an Or with Ted Mullin at OLB.  Figured Navratil would for sure be starter.  Looks like we should have a good 2 deep at OLB. 

5. Some previously unfamiliar names on the DB 2 deep, hopefully they will be solid.  

6. Hoping Klein can emerge as a sneaky weapon at times with his height. 

I seriously thought the topic pre-season would be "should Feeney start the first game or should we wait a few games to let him get his feet wet".  Pretty surprised at #4 on the depth chart".

1 hour ago, Irish said:

I seriously thought the topic pre-season would be "should Feeney start the first game or should we wait a few games to let him get his feet wet".  Pretty surprised at #4 on the depth chart".

Kind of makes me laugh about some people on here screaming for him to play last season.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Tommy needs to run! He can run ...

Not sure that is even in his game, unfortunately. Just not who he is as a FB player. Some things you just can't develop. I am hoping Quincy Vaughn, Simon Romfo, or Trey Feeney can push him for the starting job, but that is questionable. I think the season win total is capped at 7 games with Tommy at QB; just not explosive enough to take UND to the next level. 

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Not sure that is even in his game, unfortunately. Just not who he is as a FB player. Some things you just can't develop. I am hoping Quincy Vaughn, Simon Romfo, or Trey Feeney can push him for the starting job, but that is questionable. I think the season win total is capped at 7 games with Tommy at QB; just not explosive enough to take UND to the next level. 

The Feeney situation is concerning. Would have hoped by now to have heard glowing endorsements about him but mum is the word. Romfo has gotten praise on the other hand which is a pleasant surprise.

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

The Feeney situation is concerning. Would have hoped by now to have heard glowing endorsements about him but mum is the word. Romfo has gotten praise on the other hand which is a pleasant surprise.

Don't sleep on Romfo. Doing well thus far and he is a 3-time ND FB state champion (2018-2020). His pedigree is under the radar given Feeney had the big Minnesota accolades, but Romfo can get the job done potentially. Morale of this story is UND needs to keep recruiting good football players from North Dakota at all classifications. 

• Upvote 1