SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

< squinting and vaguely pondering >

Hockey roster 25-ish ...
FB roster 100-ish ...
FB 4x hockey ... 

Hockey turnover 6 annually-ish ...
FB turnover should be 25 annually-ish ... not 70-ish ... 

Last thought ...  

< reaches for codeine based cough meds to go back to sleep > 

43 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Probably more like roughly 15 more per year.

FB averages about 20 graduates per year. 
It is interesting to note that a walk-on (at UND and nationally) is more likely to financially support their alma mater and their specific sport that scholarship players. Kind of a sad commentary!!

48 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

FB averages about 20 graduates per year. 
It is interesting to note that a walk-on (at UND and nationally) is more likely to financially support their alma mater and their specific sport that scholarship players. Kind of a sad commentary!!

This former walk-on contributes to my alma mater.  

Based on the guys I played with the walk-ons were more likely to be local players vs. the scholarship recruits.  That often leads to a closer connection to the university.

• Upvote 1

On 1/21/2022 at 10:21 AM, siouxfan512 said:

12 years ago I took my first corporate job at the exciting salary of $29k in Fargo. Married, with no kids at the time, we were able to live comfortable and start saving for our future house and family. To be competitive, we should be able to offer a higher salary, but as to whether or not a $50k salary is enough to live on, it absolutely is if you are smart with it. 

If you're single and can't live on $50k, you need to reevaluate your expenses.

If you're married, then you likely have a second income to factor in.

Thanks for that wonderful story. Glad 29K/year treated you so well. 

But … you missed the point completely. Like way over your head. It’s about competitive values here. Any high caliber DI position coach is worth a hell of a lot more than 50K in a season, particularly compared to top FCS schools,  and especially all FBS school. 

If you were offered the same job in Fargo at a different company/location for 50K as opposed to 29K, which would you take? C’mon man ….

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Thanks for that wonderful story. Glad 29K/year treated you so well. 

But … you missed the point completely. Like way over your head. It’s about competitive values here. Any high caliber DI position coach is worth a hell of a lot more than 50K in a season, particularly compared to top FCS schools,  and especially all FBS school. 

If you were offered the same job in Fargo at a different company/location for 50K as opposed to 29K, which would you take? C’mon man ….

How many position coaches under the age of 35 stay at one school for longer than 2-3 years?  I'm not saying we pay enough for the position (more $$$ = better candidates)...but guys in these positions move on for multiple reasons...a better opportunity, to be closer to family, or out of coaching (can make more money quicker in private business).  If we have position coaches that are happy just being position coaches...then I'm of the belief that we have the wrong types of people on our coaching staff!

Here's my question. Take out Men's hockey. Why do UND's other programs have no money. How does that change? Cutting sports / conference change saved a lot of money, but do those savings just shrink the overall budget, so really, no additional money for programs. Thinking of individual events (NDSU Football / Gopher hockey over Thanksgiving (no students). Let's say UND Football averages 1000 more fans per home game than usual. Does that even matter? Will that money increase funding? 

I'm rambling, the overall sentiment and frustration is UND doesn't appear to be in any better spot now financially then they were in 2015 playing in the Big Sky with 21 sports. 

3 hours ago, shep said:

It's my understanding the main motivation for Rouse to head to California is that he's from California. I suppose money, as always, played into it, but I do not believe it's the main reason he left.

I put my money on frost bite.  This area is hell to winter in.

• Upvote 3

Got to get past the hockey against the other sports.

the biggest thing I see is marketing, they do and F- 0n marketing games for other sports.

when hockey expects smaller crowds they have tons of promotions.

need a few business in GF to step up and be promoters of other sports, discounted tickets, family packs, tv ads, bill boards all he way to Medora, Bowman, Fortuna, Pembina and Whapeton and in between

how about a class assignment in the marketing classes 

a free ticket to any sport generates income inside the arena

the school to the south is already advertising football

1 minute ago, Kab said:

Got to get past the hockey against the other sports.

the biggest thing I see is marketing, they do and F- 0n marketing games for other sports.

when hockey expects smaller crowds they have tons of promotions.

need a few business in GF to step up and be promoters of other sports, discounted tickets, family packs, tv ads, bill boards all he way to Medora, Bowman, Fortuna, Pembina and Whapeton and in between

how about a class assignment in the marketing classes 

a free ticket to any sport generates income inside the arena

the school to the south is already advertising football

Good idea, unfortunately the REA controls the marketing I believe.