SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

Morning paper says the U of M is facing a $39M deficit this year….are we getting close to 1929?  The U’s athletic department is $8M in the red…all activities are doing better this year but they are still in the red. It seems they have used up all their federal relief too…$27M.  But MN’s tax revenues were 25% higher in January.

People are stupid….

11 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

This is NOT good…. Is UND in the red, significantly, due to some bonds for the student Union? And does this non-profit (a combination of several actually)get a pretty significant profit from most of the sporting events? WOW

Fundraising takes on a new lens….

The student union has student fees designated to pay for it.  They'll be paying for the next 16 years or so.  Very normal.

11 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

This is NOT good…. Is UND in the red, significantly, due to some bonds for the student Union?

No.

The ND SBHE would not have allow the project (granted permission) to proceed unless there was a funding plan to repay the bonds in place. 

On 2/20/2022 at 10:52 AM, nodak651 said:

The local paper hasn't mentioned this , but UND posted something about Phase two on the state procurement website, in January.

I would think this means the start of construction is nearing for phase two of the Pollard/HPC, but I'm not aware of the official process UND has for this sort of thing.  Included in the RFQ posted on the procurement website are new floorplans, which are not final, but they are fun to look at.

The UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA
REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS for
Construction Manager at Risk for Fritz Pollard Jr. Second Phase
RFQ #111-2022
RELEASE DATE:  January 27, 2022
DUE DATE:  February 24, 2022, at 3:00 PM CST

Purpose of RFQ: This Request for Qualifications is released by the University of North Dakota Procurement Services Department on behalf of the University of North Dakota Department of Facilities Management.  UND Department of Facilities Management will be responsible for managing the design and construction of the proposed project on behalf of University of North Dakota.

Description:  The Project generally consists of:  This project is to construct the addition to the existing Fritz Pollard Jr. Athletic Center. The addition is to include locker rooms, weight room, training facilities, and associated support spaces. Also, anticipated in the scope of work is the reconstruction of the outdoor practice facility which includes artificial turf field and running track, as well as modifications to the existing Fritz Pollard Jr. Athletic Center to incorporate additional programming and increase space utilization. Site work required to accommodate new facilities, renovated facilities, and required utility services. This scope of work is subject to change based on the funds UND Alumni Foundation receives.

Project Requirements:
•             The Project Budgeted Direct Construction Cost is approximately $24 Million, actual budget may vary (excluding CMaR Fees, CMaR Construction Contingency, design and other associated fees, furniture and equipment, and other “soft” costs).
•             The Project Commencement Date shall be upon approval of fundraising goals from the UND Alumni Association.
•             The Project Completion Date will be determined when funds have been raised.
•             The CMaR is required to be licensed in the State of North Dakota with a “Class A” license and must comply with all requirements listed in ND Century Code Chapter 43-07.

***for full resolution/size, right click the pictures an click "open link in new tab"

phase 2_Page_1.jpg

phase 2_Page_2.jpg

phase 2_Page_3.jpg

phase 2_Page_4.jpg

hpc2.PNG

Where are offices for the football staff?

22 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Do not understand this.  Should have been in Phase 2 and had the other coaches in Memorial village.

I agree.  Kinda blurry but this was in the lease agreement that UND presented to the NDUS at it's October meeting.  There are additional offices, on the second floor, above the green highlighted area in the plan (which will likely change to some degree).  The original plan for phase two would have been ideal, and although I don't necessarily agree with all of the decisions that have been made, this project, in its entirety, will still be great for the program.  

image.thumb.png.35f8e89a1fb9e28bd6bcc64191292f03.png

20 minutes ago, zonadub said:

If you can zoom in on the bottom drawing (2nd Level Floor Plan), the FBALL Staff offices are just right of the locker room/auditorium and laundry room.

I think that is just the coaches locker rooms/showers for practice.  I think the football meeting rooms/offices will be in the black part of the building on the left.    Also, it would be nice to have a deck on top of the "Hawkway".

image.thumb.png.b744192d545224881989859d48c70354.png

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

I think that is just the coaches locker rooms/showers for practice.  I think the football meeting rooms/offices will be in the black part of the building on the left.    Also, it would be nice to have a deck on top of the "Hawkway".

You must be right. Too small for coaches offices. 

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

wonder if some the masonry and brick they kept from memorial will go into the those tower/towers on the right?

On 2/22/2022 at 1:50 PM, nodak651 said:

I agree.  Kinda blurry but this was in the lease agreement that UND presented to the NDUS at it's October meeting.  There are additional offices, on the second floor, above the green highlighted area in the plan (which will likely change to some degree).  The original plan for phase two would have been ideal, and although I don't necessarily agree with all of the decisions that have been made, this project, in its entirety, will still be great for the program.  

image.thumb.png.35f8e89a1fb9e28bd6bcc64191292f03.png

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mama Sue said:

NoDak61….are you kidding? WOW

I'm not sure what the outrage would be.

Here is what the 4 Dakota schools paid their AD's last year:
SDSU - $276,750
NDSU - $251,266
USD - $175,456
UND - $213,600

USD's AD was hired from within when the previous one resigned in 2013. He was making $125K as an Asst. AD when he was promoted to AD. The previous guy was making $165,600 8 years ago. So I assume that is why is lower than the rest.