SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

1 hour ago, Green Banner said:

So extension to Chaves and Berry last two days. Does Bubba ink his tomorrow?

Pretty sure that's a rhetorical statement, but with Bubbas track record and with his contract expiring in two years, I think it would make the most sense to see how next season plays out.  My prediction is they move on if he doesn't win a playoff game.

21 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I'm not sure what the outrage would be.

Here is what the 4 Dakota schools paid their AD's last year:
SDSU - $276,750
NDSU - $251,266
USD - $175,456
UND - $213,600

USD's AD was hired from within when the previous one resigned in 2013. He was making $125K as an Asst. AD when he was promoted to AD. The previous guy was making $165,600 8 years ago. So I assume that is why is lower than the rest.

No outrage about salary, was just following up on some older posts about lack of involvement by AD with Football.

To clarify, I wasn’t outraged about salary… surprised yes. Believe me, as an agency nurse on double time I have said I don’t think I would pay me what they are paying me.

Several of our children are doing very well….I am amazed what they are making. I asked a friend…Do you have a hard time accepting that a child of yours is worth that much money?

I am reading Dabo’s World about Dabo Swinney…great book… but again, the salaries amaze me.

Godliness and contentment is great gain, we bought nothing into this world and will take nothing out!

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Pretty sure that's a rhetorical statement, but with Bubbas track record and with his contract expiring in two years, I think it would make the most sense to see how next season plays out.  My prediction is they move on if he doesn't win a playoff game.

Bubba has absolutely not earned an extension at this point in time. What he did last spring was awesome! Winning and beating some really solid teams in a very unorthodox season. Had he carried that momentum and top 5/10 ranking into the fall season I would have a different opinion. But the most consistent thing about Bubba's tenure at UND has been inconsistency.

It has been well documented on this message board, but if you look at how close UND was to winning almost all of their games this year its ridiculous. The opportunity was right there for them to springboard off of last years performance. Now some of those mistakes are on players, but there were plenty on the coaches.

I'm not sure where to put the blame on the redzone turnovers. Initially, that has to be on the players, right? But after seeing so many of them, and that problem continue throughout the season, what is the coaching staff doing to adjust? Whether it is the playcalling, the specific players, or the mentality. Same with some of those end of game fumbles with Otis. Though, I believe we called a direct snap on one, which we had never called before. That's not an excuse for fumbling, but if you really trust you back (which they did all game), why try to trick someone for a yard or two? If you don't get it, just punt and play some D. Then there is the NDSU game, which I will not get over until we finally beat them UND (defense specifically) played their a$$es off, and Bubba blows it with one of the dumbest calls I've ever seen, and literally hands them 3 critical points.

Is everything Bubba's fault? Of course not. Does he deserve a contract extension based on his performance? Absolutely not. Lets see how this coming season plays out, but without a decent playoff run, it has to be time to move on to someone who can take the next step.

Man, I'm ready for some more football chatter.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

It has been well documented on this message board, but if you look at how close UND was to winning almost all of their games this year its ridiculous. The opportunity was right there for them to springboard off of last years performance. Now some of those mistakes are on players, but there were plenty on the coaches.

If you ask him what they are focusing on as both a coaching staff and tasking the players with understanding over the offseason, this something he has mentioned specifically. It's not lost on anyone how they fared in close games.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Bubba has absolutely not earned an extension at this point in time. What he did last spring was awesome! Winning and beating some really solid teams in a very unorthodox season. Had he carried that momentum and top 5/10 ranking into the fall season I would have a different opinion. But the most consistent thing about Bubba's tenure at UND has been inconsistency.

I'm not sure where to put the blame on the redzone turnovers. Initially, that has to be on the players, right? But after seeing so many of them, and that problem continue throughout the season, what is the coaching staff doing to adjust? Whether it is the playcalling, the specific players, or the mentality. Same with some of those end of game fumbles with Otis. Though, I believe we called a direct snap on one, which we had never called before. That's not an excuse for fumbling, but if you really trust you back (which they did all game), why try to trick someone for a yard or two? If you don't get it, just punt and play some D. Then there is the NDSU game, which I will not get over until we finally beat them UND (defense specifically) played their a$$es off, and Bubba blows it with one of the dumbest calls I've ever seen, and literally hands them 3 critical points.

Is everything Bubba's fault? Of course not. Does he deserve a contract extension based on his performance? Absolutely not. Lets see how this coming season plays out, but without a decent playoff run, it has to be time to move on to someone who can take the next step.

There's a great saying about hindsight... it just escapes me right now.  Something about how it makes us all arm chair geniuses.  It's fun tho. ( : 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I love Bubba, but your synopsis of his tenure, and last season in particular, is spot on, so inconsistent.  IMO, need to clean up your list and win at least one playoff game, or no extension.

9 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Has admin and the AD given Bubba the “infrastructure” he needs? Scholarships, facilities, salary, and help with discipline? Not having someone video answers that….

Yes, there are coaching issues but it is not just coaching, IMHO.

I don't disagree but where do you find the $ for those improvements?  This is exactly why I run the Let's Help Bubba fundraising every year.  There is not enough to do all that we fans (and the athletic department) would like.  $10-12K isn't much, but it helps!  

Someone will likely respond that we shouldn't have moved up to DI if we couldn't afford it.  That may be true but it is not worth rehashing - "water under the bridge"!!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

To clarify, I wasn’t outraged about salary… surprised yes. Believe me, as an agency nurse on double time I have said I don’t think I would pay me what they are paying me.

Several of our children are doing very well….I am amazed what they are making. I asked a friend…Do you have a hard time accepting that a child of yours is worth that much money?

I am reading Dabo’s World about Dabo Swinney…great book… but again, the salaries amaze me.

Godliness and contentment is great gain, we bought nothing into this world and will take nothing out!

No offense taken, I was responding more to jdub asking why there was outrage.   I don't care what he makes (within reason) as long as he is doing his job.  I was just pointing something out after a small discussion on Chaves and his leadership (or lack thereof) in regards to football (depending on your take).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

There's a great saying about hindsight... it just escapes me right now.  Something about how it makes us all arm chair geniuses.  It's fun tho. ( : 

Oh absolutely! Can't pretend that I personally could do a better job as a whole, but a few of those calls were headscratchers for almost anyone. Even the Bison fans couldn't believe that 4th down call.

All that being said, I expect a little more out of a guy that coaches football for a living and has done so for a long time.

7 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Totally get it.  I'm just a little more empathetic than the next. So I am terrible on message boards. Same reason I can be both a great boss and a horrible boss to my employees, at the same time. 

Posters that try to come across all hard and uncompromising all the time (not you) always seem fake to me. Like they would wilt like a daisy in real life if they ever had to make decisions in the public eye. 

You're a gentleman and a scholar Teeder. Empathy is a great trait, and sometimes its too easy to criticize a coach and their status, forgetting that you're also talking about someone's livelihood. 

Ultimately, we all want the same thing, and that is UND to be a competitive team year in and year out. Hopefully this year bring some success. For the record, I don't think you can find a nicer person as a coach than Bubba based on what I have seen and hear from people close to the program. Would love to see him get UND to that next level, and if not, I hope there can be a seamless transition to whomever comes in. I want UND to take a step forward, but certainly hope we don't have to take a major step back.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

We do definitely want the same thing!  I take things a little too personal when anyone rips my favorite team (regardless whether they're UND fans or not) --just ask my friends. ( :

Not calling for this, because it would make a message board really boring, but personally I just like to keep the dirty laundry to a tight circle of close UND loving friends. Plus, I have the advantage of being within arm's reach daily of some of the folks we rip on on this board...so I have a direct outlet on things that most don't.

It goes down in the DMs

• Upvote 1

It is what it is. This shows the level of commitment UND has to mediocrity. I'm not saying Bubba can't surprise us, and take us to the next level, but I haven't see anything to convince me this will happen.

I suppose the same argument can be made as was with Women's hockey, you have to work with the money you have. I don't know; easy to criticize without having a better solution I guess.