SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

9 minutes ago, UND08 said:

Looking at realistic types of targets for the RB coach opening...I'd be pretty happy with a guy like this...

Ryan Olson - Running Backs - Football Coaches - Grand Valley State University Athletics (gvsulakers.com)

- Comes from a successful D2 program in GVSU that finished top 15 in rushing yards in D2 last year.

- Coaching experience in the FBS at EMU

- Playcalling experience at the D2 level

- Coaching experience at a successful NSIC D2 in our recruiting area

There are likely others with this resume or better...but this type of resume should be the minimum expectation.

Sounds like the perfect candidate.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not that I would ever cheer for NDSU, but their success really wouldn't bother me as much if their fans weren't so obnoxious. No so much from a rivalry standpoint, but just an in general obnoxious level. They're not all bad, but there is definitely more bad fans following that program than anywhere else. I suppose with that level of success comes a certain level of fair-weather bandwagon fans that no nothing about the sport, but enjoy the glory. The way so many of them talk, you would think it is them out their playing. 

I have said this a few times about NDSU fans. It really is just the few bad thousands that spoil it for the other 12.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Need to pay assistant coaches better. Listing reports less than 50k salary - ridiculous for a DI program. UND football pays their assistants like horseshit. UND needs to get serious about football or else will be constant revolving door. 

I agree but I also recall golfing in the Siouxper Swing with Rob Bollinger who wisely noted “You know you have a great job when you can wear shorts to work most days.”

17 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Need to pay assistant coaches better. Listing reports less than 50k salary - ridiculous for a DI program. UND football pays their assistants like horseshit. UND needs to get serious about football or else will be constant revolving door. 

Although that salary isn't great, do you know what assistant coaches make at other schools?  I'm aware of at least one position coach at ndsu who's barely breaking $50k.

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Although that salary isn't great, do you know what assistant coaches make at other schools?  I'm aware of at least one position coach at ndsu who's barely breaking $50k.

According to that chart it appears to me that they're doing quite a bit better than 50K.  Pretty much doubling that.

7 minutes ago, NDRA said:

According to that chart it appears to me that they're doing quite a bit better than 50K.  Pretty much doubling that.

After a quick glance, it looks like:

Football support(director of football ops, etc.) - NDSU is paying around 10%-20% more than UND.

Coaches(position, coords, head) - NDSU is paying 50%-70% more than UND.

Head S&C - NDSU is paying a little over 100% more than UND. (Jim Kramer is the real reason for NDSU's FB success.)

Just now, Hammersmith said:

Football support(director of football ops, etc.) - NDSU is paying around 10%-20% more than UND.

Head S&C - NDSU is paying a little over 100% more than UND.

Our S&s guy sucks

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

Head S&C - NDSU is paying a little over 100% more than UND. (Jim Kramer is the real reason for NDSU's FB success.)

And that is a big reason for NDSUs success. You get what you pay for generally.

15 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

This narrative always slays me.  Do you think by chance he has better facilities, training table, more money, and wait for it.....better players than everyone else to work with?

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Hiring the right people is also important.

It helps to pay the right people enough money to stay, if you do find them.  RB coach is a great example.  Based on Rouse's salary, it's very likely Kevin Maurice left for more money when he went to EWU in the first place.  He was just hired by New Mexico State as a position coach.  If Bubba has a higher budget for assistant coaches, he likely doesn't lose either of these guys.  

image.thumb.png.84096603e57367748e6b2955bc3383a4.png

On 12/30/2021 at 3:10 PM, nodak651 said:

No, but if they cut the annual pay of their coaching staff by $700,000 and cut their recruiting budget in half do you think they would expect the same results?

On 12/30/2021 at 4:34 PM, Midwestern Hawk said:

Yes.

I won't deny that UND needs to improve its coaching salaries, but it is difficult when the comparison is always to the school in Fargo.  I'm not saying it shouldn't be, as we want to compete with them, but it's difficult.  For example, Montana's head coach makes less than Bubba, but you'd think we're severely underpaying everybody because the comparison is always to ndsu.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I won't deny that UND needs to improve its coaching salaries, but it is difficult when the comparison is always to the school in Fargo.  I'm not saying it shouldn't be, as we want to compete with them, but it's difficult.  For example, Montana's head coach makes less than Bubba, but you'd think we're severely underpaying everybody because the comparison is always to ndsu.

UND football is severely underpaying everybody. Period. 

it’s not just NDSU comparison. 

do better. If you’re UND athletic department, look beyond f***king hockey. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yeah if we want to maximize our return on higher salaries we should be investing in Basketball…….. Is UND the average when it comes to salaries? If so I wouldn’t say under paying

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well there's no arguing with facts presented like that. 

respect-hats-off.gif

• Upvote 4