SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

34 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Maybe Missouri Sate is not an apples to apples comparison, since Petrino has turned them around with so many transfers.

On the other hand, Montana State was an almost-there team in the Big Sky and Vigen has made the difference that put them on top of the BSC -in his first year. It feels like UND is where Montana State was: on the cusp, looking for the right fit to get them to the next level.

MSU made the semi finals in 2019.  Vigen has simply maintained what Choate built

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, zonadub said:

Made the playoffs, but finished in the top third of the BSC. MSU was not conference champions.

With their unbalanced schedule it's tough to gauge, it's not a given, but Vigen walked into a football first school with great facilities, all he has to do is not screw it up.  

14 hours ago, zonadub said:

Maybe Missouri Sate is not an apples to apples comparison, since Petrino has turned them around with so many transfers.

On the other hand, Montana State was an almost-there team in the Big Sky and Vigen has made the difference that put them on top of the BSC -in his first year. It feels like UND is where Montana State was: on the cusp, looking for the right fit to get them to the next level.

I think it's more accurate to say Choate elevated the program and left Vigen in a very good spot.  We won't know how good Vigen is for a couple years.

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

semi finalist for UND football head coaching  position in 2013 now to be hired as head coach of power 5 conference team, University of Washington Huskies. 

point of this, don’t hire hometown familiarities, hire the best coach, that’s it. Missed opportunity as far as I’m concerned. 

https://www.inforum.com/3066035-und-narrows-its-coaching-search-two-candidates

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/sources-fresno-states-kalen-deboer-in-talks-to-become-uw-huskies-head-football-coach/%3famp=1

I agree with you here. I was all in on DeBoer.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

semi finalist for UND football head coaching  position in 2013 now to be hired as head coach of power 5 conference team, University of Washington Huskies. 

point of this, don’t hire hometown familiarities, hire the best coach, that’s it. Missed opportunity as far as I’m concerned. 

https://www.inforum.com/3066035-und-narrows-its-coaching-search-two-candidates

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/sources-fresno-states-kalen-deboer-in-talks-to-become-uw-huskies-head-football-coach/%3famp=1

Doesn't seem like they learned much, if you look at the most recent hiring for WBB. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Doesn't seem like they learned much, if you look at the most recent hiring for WBB. 

too soon!!!!!!

just hire the best person regardless if they hang with gfhockey at judy's....

daboer was the best on paper but bubba got it and if he's anything he consistent (50/50).....

on the bballside jeff boshee was a wildcard but you could't say sather wasn't deserving of his post considering what he was doing at northern....

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

too soon!!!!!!

daboer was the best on paper but bubba got it and if he's anything he consistent (50/50).....

on the bballside jeff boshee was a wildcard but you could't say sather wasn't deserving of his post considering what he was doing at northern....

WBB

19 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I agree with you here. I was all in on DeBoer.

It is interesting he never got his first head coaching job until last year. EDIT: Since interviewing for the UND job in 2013. He left Sioux Falls in 2009.
Just keep moving up the ranks as an OC/QB coach.

22 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It is interesting he never got his first head coaching shot until last year.
Just keep moving up the ranks as an OC/QB coach.

Obviously you weren't paying attention when the University of Sioux Falls was our opponent. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

too soon!!!!!!

If we had the money for MBB we should have hired McCollum. Guys a star and applied. 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

First HC shot?

1 hour ago, Hawkster said:

Obviously you weren't paying attention when the University of Sioux Falls was our opponent. 

Poor wording on my part.
Last fall at Fresno was his first head coaching job since interviewing for the head job at UND in 2013/14. He had not been a head coach since leaving Sioux Falls in 2009.
While it obviously worked out for him, it was just a comment that he ended up continuing to climb as a coordinator instead of taking a head coaching job somewhere and going that route.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Poor wording on my part.
Last fall at Fresno was his first head coaching job since interviewing for the head job at UND in 2013/14. He had not been a head coach since leaving Sioux Falls in 2009.
While it obviously worked out for him, it was just a comment that he ended up continuing to climb as a coordinator instead of taking a head coaching job somewhere and going that route.

I'm sure he had many HC offers just didn't like any of them or wasn't a good fit at the time.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 5:50 PM, Midwestern Hawk said:

Hope not.  Think he is very solid.

I mentioned earlier that, when evaluating Bubba as a head coach, that budget and other constraints should be considered when doing so.  Bubba is doing pretty damn well given the budget that he is dealt with, and if he's replaced, I think it's near impossible that we fill out the staff with equal or better talent than we currently have with an equal budget.  It's impressive that Bubba has done as well as he has when guys like Holinka and Freund are paid less than pretty much every position coach at NDSU.  

https://infogram.com/college-1hd12yxl0vmqw6k

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I mentioned earlier that, when evaluating Bubba as a head coach, that budget and other constraints should be considered when doing so.  Bubba is doing pretty damn well given the budget that he is dealt with, and if he's replaced, I think it's near impossible that we fill out the staff with equal or better talent than we currently have with an equal budget.  It's impressive that Bubba has done as well as he has when guys like Holinka and Freund are paid less than pretty much every position coach at NDSU.  

https://infogram.com/college-1hd12yxl0vmqw6k

If NDSU had just finished 5-6 the way UND did, would Entz still have a job?  I doubt it.  Collectively, our expectations stink as do our results.