SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

1 hour ago, Irish said:

Would more money for the Football program help - absolutely.  No Question.  I have no insight into the Athletic Department budgeting process, but it seems that there are two main ways for Football to get more money - a rich donor (or many semi-rich donors) or sell more tickets.  Since no deep pockets alumni seem to be stepping up we need more butts in the seats. Look at our attendance after the Bison fiasco - we have been on the cusp of capturing many more fans many times recently but it always seems to slip away - mainly because watching our team for the the last 14 years has been by and large a frustrating experience - first 6 years of Muss - then 6 years of watching Rudy call the plays - then this year. (I'm not saying there haven't been high spots, but not sustainable). If you don't think a winning program brings in more fans, look at Hockey during the last few years of Gino.  Winning begats more money which in turn begats more winning.  We seriously need more money in the program, but I'm not so sure that some donors worry that a richer Bubba for the next couple of years is the way to go.  

Never going to compete with the program to the south unless we fund our program to the same level. Thinking we can achieve what NDSU has is not reality, no one will ever repeat their run. We can win a championship but becoming another NDSU dynasty will be unlikely. Replacing Bubba with another below average paid coach isn’t going to bring more success. You get what you pay for……. There is a reason Coach Schmidt left…. $$$$$$$ Holinka could be next to follow the $$$$$$$$

33 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Never going to compete with the program to the south unless we fund our program to the same level. Thinking we can achieve what NDSU has is not reality, no one will ever repeat their run. We can win a championship but becoming another NDSU dynasty will be unlikely. Replacing Bubba with another below average paid coach isn’t going to bring more success. You get what you pay for……. There is a reason Coach Schmidt left…. $$$$$$$ Holinka could be next to follow the $$$$$$$$

Nobody will ever repeat the NDSU run the last 11 years or whatever it is.  There is no reason whatsoever we can't compete with NDSU year in and year out and win multiple MVFC championships, be seeded in the playoffs every year and always make the quarterfinals, usually make the semi-finals and often make the final.  If that is not our aim(especially as the FCS is watered down with FBS defections) the University should state that and we should return do D2 and drop all the "flagship U" talk.

IMO if Bubba was the coach we need to get to the next level he would either be paid like that or he would have moved on to a better job.  Why on earth do you think Schmidt didn't decide he wanted to attach himself to a coach that was going to win big and move up the coaching ranks fast?  Now he has far more $ and he is moving up fast.

If being a really good man, loving the state of North Dakota and the University of North Dakota were the only ingredients it takes to win a National Championship, Bubba would be playing in a couple weeks for his 8th.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

You have many valid thoughts.  You are likely correct on Entz, however if Entz's spring quarterfinal run included a loss to UND and he had finished 5-6 this fall including a 2nd loss to UND, I think Entz would be gone.  Obviously that is just surmising as he beat us twice in 2021 and it appears will lead the Bison to a 2nd natty in 3 years.

I too have witnessed signs of progress over the years with Bubba especially with recruiting and IMO everything was lined up for UND this fall.  I love UND football and I am sincerely afraid Bubba's pinnacle as coach at UND will be having the lead at halftime this fall against NDSU.  The season(and likely his tenure) certainly slid backwards from that moment both literally and figuratively.  

I don't see many ways the fall of 2022 will turn out any better than 2021, too many holes to fill and too many weaknesses were exposed this fall.   I sincerely hope all of you are reposting these gloomy forecasts a year from now and throwing it in my face as we all are buying tickets to Frisco, but I have "been around the block" a time or two in football and business and the chances of a "breakout" season are not good without a major change in the program.

You have valid concerns and you may be correct. Because it serves no purpose to discuss coaching changes right now, I tend to focus more on what we need to do to keep getting better and avoiding any regression. We all have experiences that affect our perspective. If you are wrong what purpose is served by “throwing it in your face”?  Bubba and his staff are capable of moving the program forward. They need to do it. I’m a little more patient. Doesn’t mean I’m right. What I do believe is that the continued criticism and doom and gloom won’t change anything right now. We are who we are so we need to improve as individual players, coaches and as a program. There is also room for us as fans and supporters to do more to help the program. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Nobody will ever repeat the NDSU run the last 11 years or whatever it is.  There is no reason whatsoever we can't compete with NDSU year in and year out and win multiple MVFC championships, be seeded in the playoffs every year and always make the quarterfinals, usually make the semi-finals and often make the final.  If that is not our aim(especially as the FCS is watered down with FBS defections) the University should state that and we should return do D2 and drop all the "flagship U" talk.

IMO if Bubba was the coach we need to get to the next level he would either be paid like that or he would have moved on to a better job.  Why on earth do you think Schmidt didn't decide he wanted to attach himself to a coach that was going to win big and move up the coaching ranks fast?  Now he has far more $ and he is moving up fast.

If being a really good man, loving the state of North Dakota and the University of North Dakota were the only ingredients it takes to win a National Championship, Bubba would be playing in a couple weeks for his 8th.

Not going to get there at our current funding level. Without higher salaries and phase 2 Bubba is our best bet until he retires. Rebuilding will not be easy without changes.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Let’s compare ourselves to SDSU then we won’t have to live up to winning championships every year, well any year……..

We shouldn’t compare ourselves to anyone.  We can learn from others,  but if we fall into that black hole of comparing ourselves to others, we are making a mistake and I would predict it will take longer. We should be able to established our goals and our vision for success, assess our strengths and weaknesses, assess our resources, and develop a plan to accomplish those goals with the resources we have and a solid plan to obtain any missing resources we need. I can learn from the success and failures of other programs without constantly comparing. You will find yourself unnecessarily frustrated and sometimes satisfied with less than you are capable of. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 12:13 PM, Midwestern Hawk said:

Not that I would ever cheer for NDSU, but their success really wouldn't bother me as much if their fans weren't so obnoxious. No so much from a rivalry standpoint, but just an in general obnoxious level. They're not all bad, but there is definitely more bad fans following that program than anywhere else. I suppose with that level of success comes a certain level of fair-weather bandwagon fans that no nothing about the sport, but enjoy the glory. The way so many of them talk, you would think it is them out their playing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Hard pass. I’d prefer a guy to not get his first coaching job at UND. Don’t care if he was really good. Certainly couldn’t coach ball security.

Agreed. I hate the notion that a guy should automatically be looked at as a coach because he was a good player, or a fan favorite. Good students don't necessarily make good teachers.

• Upvote 2

Looking at realistic types of targets for the RB coach opening...I'd be pretty happy with a guy like this...

Ryan Olson - Running Backs - Football Coaches - Grand Valley State University Athletics (gvsulakers.com)

- Comes from a successful D2 program in GVSU that finished top 15 in rushing yards in D2 last year.

- Coaching experience in the FBS at EMU

- Playcalling experience at the D2 level

- Coaching experience at a successful NSIC D2 in our recruiting area

There are likely others with this resume or better...but this type of resume should be the minimum expectation.