SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

10 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Of course he left UND for Poly.  He played at Fresno and those are his ties.  Plus the weather

UND needs to be able to recruit and retain coaches beyond North Dakota. No one here, man. You want Joe Shmoe off the street to coach the running backs or any other position for that matter? That’s basically what UND is getting at this point with the salary they offer people …

13 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Thanks for that wonderful story. Glad 29K/year treated you so well. 

But … you missed the point completely. Like way over your head. It’s about competitive values here. Any high caliber DI position coach is worth a hell of a lot more than 50K in a season, particularly compared to top FCS schools,  and especially all FBS school. 

If you were offered the same job in Fargo at a different company/location for 50K as opposed to 29K, which would you take? C’mon man ….

Wow, thanks for your rude and condescending post. I'm not missing the point at all. I completely acknowledged that to be competitive we need a higher salary. I was in no way insinuating that a program should be paying their players poor wages.

My post was in response to someone asking what the poverty level was in Grand Forks and stating that the starting wage at McDonalds in Williston is $36k. My only point was that there is often a tendency to assume that a modest wage can't support a decent living. It can, if people are smart.

Obviously if you want to compete as a football program, we need to pay our coaches more than we are. That has been well documented here; but again, that isn't specifically what I was referring to.

So once again, thanks for jumping in to be a jerk and completely take my post out of context. 

This conversation makes me think of the chicken and egg. Do higher salaries get better coaches or do better coaches get higher salaries? Everyone here wants us to have competitive salaries, but just because you pay people more doesn't mean you'll necessarily get better results.

1 hour ago, SkoHawks said:

This conversation makes me think of the chicken and egg. Do higher salaries get better coaches or do better coaches get higher salaries? Everyone here wants us to have competitive salaries, but just because you pay people more doesn't mean you'll necessarily get better results.

When you are actively seeking employees, better pay attracts better employees(applicants).  Paying an employee more as he becomes more attractive to other programs is also important if you want to retain talent.  Overpaying or giving non sensical raises to below average employees does not make them better.

In summary, higher salaries attract and retain better coaches, and the answer to your question is "both".  Better coaches will eventually get higher salaries, but likely at a different school if their current school under pays.

• Upvote 1

I'd have no problem with UND being a stepping stone for coaches to P5 jobs. That would draw the attention of the climbers looking to advance in their careers (see: Rod Carey, Kalen DeBoer). Those folks know it's perform or stagnate. But what we are now is a terminal destination (stagnation trap) for too many. That's fine for hockey, as hockey is a premier position in the college ranks. But it's not serving us well otherwise.

Note: I'm holding out hope that MBB can figure it out and we're talking about Sather getting P5 sniffs in three to five years. 

14 hours ago, zonadub said:

Begs the question… would Kalen DeBoer have come to UND for the same salary that Schweigert was offered?

I would think he wouldn't have applied if he wouldn't have accepted it, that would have looked dumb on his part.  I'm sure it was quite a bit more than he was making at Sioux Falls.  He might have already moved up to a better job by now though, but that also means we probably already had several deep playoff runs. 

Or did he not even apply?  There is always so much talk about him, did people just want him but he never actually applied? 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Ok that's what I thought.  But when he said.....would DeBoer accept the salary Bubba got....it made me question myself lol.   Yes he would have accepted.....or why apply and keep yourself in the running down to the final 2. 

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Ok that's what I thought.  But when he said.....would DeBoer accept the salary Bubba got....it made me question myself lol.   Yes he would have accepted.....or why apply and keep yourself in the running down to the final 2. 

Worked out well for DeBoer and not so much for UND 

38 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Worked out well for DeBoer and not so much for UND 

DeBoer after not getting UND job:

2014–2016    Eastern Michigan (OC/QB)
2017–2018    Fresno State (OC/QB)
2019    Indiana (OC/QB)
2020–2021    Fresno State (HC)
2022–present    Washington (HC) <-- PAC12 head coaching job

Schweigert during same era:

Year     School           Overall Conf   Finish

2014    North Dakota    5–7    3–5    T–8th    
2015    North Dakota    7–4    5–3    T–4th    
2016    North Dakota    9–3    8–0    T–1st    L NCAA Division I Second Round
2017    North Dakota    3–8    2–6    T–9th    
2018    North Dakota    6–5    indy        
2019    North Dakota    7–5    indy                L NCAA Division I First Round
2020    North Dakota    5–2   4–1    T–1st    L NCAA Division I Quarterfinal
2021    North Dakota    5–6    3–5    T–7th

47-40   25-20

Here's another interesting compare/contrast:

2003: Lennon (UND) v. Kelly (GVSU) rematch for DII title. From there ...

Kelly:
2004-2006 Central Michigan
2006-2009 Cincinnati
2010-2021 Notre Dame
2022 LSU

Lennon: 
2003-2007 UND
2008-2015 Southern Illinois
2017-present AD at DII UMary 

I don’t know…..the time commitment is huge the higher you climb the ladder. Spouses and children  have to be committed too. Sometimes they are harassed by angry fans and parents. I read somewhere the overall divorce rate for coaches of college and pro sports is 75%.
Salary? I guess you get what you pay for…..most of the time….

It will take more than just the AD to go high caliber coaching for UND football. I think we are at a crossroads…. I want us to succeed! 

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Schweigert during same era:

Year     School           Overall Conf   Finish

2014    North Dakota    5–7    3–5    T–8th    
2015    North Dakota    7–4    5–3    T–4th    
2016    North Dakota    9–3    8–0    T–1st    L NCAA Division I Second Round
2017    North Dakota    3–8    2–6    T–9th    
2018    North Dakota    6–5    indy        
2019    North Dakota    7–5    indy                L NCAA Division I First Round
2020    North Dakota    5–2   4–1    T–1st    L NCAA Division I Quarterfinal
2021    North Dakota    5–6    3–5    T–7th

47-40   25-20

Interesting pattern for Bubba's seasons. Meh, better, best, &#33;@#&#036;. Followed by; meh, better, best, &#33;@#&#036;. Fortunately, i guess, this time &#33;@#&#036; was 5-6 and not 3-8. It would be nice to see sustained success instead of pump and dump.