SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

14 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

It is what it is. This shows the level of commitment UND has to mediocrity. I'm not saying Bubba can't surprise us, and take us to the next level, but I haven't see anything to convince me this will happen.

I suppose the same argument can be made as was with Women's hockey, you have to work with the money you have. I don't know; easy to criticize without having a better solution I guess.

In that case, we are on our way to being the next Rutgers. Winning is optional. :angry:

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

It is what it is. This shows the level of commitment UND has to mediocrity. I'm not saying Bubba can't surprise us, and take us to the next level, but I haven't see anything to convince me this will happen.

I suppose the same argument can be made as was with Women's hockey, you have to work with the money you have. I don't know; easy to criticize without having a better solution I guess.

Or its something that needs to be in place for recruiting purposes. I'd be interested to see the contract before jumping the gun on any assumptions.

I don't get the women's hockey reference? If UND football was funded at the level of WIH in comparison to peers and had the results they are seeing, there would be some merit to the argument. Currently, the results are similar (though football has actually won a postseason game) but funding is not in the upper echelon that WIH was.

1 minute ago, northernraider said:

so, let's find a coach that has a record of 2-100 and willing to take $75,000 since w-l doesn't matter

Didn’t say that, not sure what you are insinuating

i think bubba is doing better than that and making more than that

step up to the plate donate $750,000 and let Chaves know who the next coach is going to be

I get frustrated  too but not a whole lot I can do but quit going to games I guess 

17 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Not one bit surprised by this. Kind of disappointed. UND once again hit the......

download.jpeg

Chaves apparently just has things on cruise control. He will make his 1 Million dollars over four years at UND and probably be gone by the time these contracts run out and moved on to the next school for his next paycheck.  Would he have given an EWU football coach a 2 year extension after winning 1 playoff game in 8 years.......when there is still 2 years left on their existing contract? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

A better solution to me was pretty easy, wait and see how the fall season goes before giving him extension.  I am not a Bubba hater as there is enough of that already, I've defended him on the board a few times.  However the facts are he has 1 playoff win in 8 years, and made one of the dumbest coaching decisions I've ever seen by going for it on 4th down against NDSU last year.  I don't think he earned another contract extension when he still has two years left on his existing contract.  What if we go 5-6 again this year, then we have 3 more years of that?  If we make a playoff run this fall, give him the extension.  This extension was premature in my opinion.  It's my opinion and it's a fan board, I don't have to donate 750k to give my opinion, not referring to you on that one. 

For those saying for recruiting purposes, I could be wrong but I find it EXTREMELY unlikely a kid coming out of high school who wanted to come to UND and liked Bubba, would have decided not to come to UND just because Bubba was only under contract through the 2023 season.  

Sums up my thoughts exactly

On 3/3/2022 at 9:38 AM, Mama Sue said:

Has admin and the AD given Bubba the “infrastructure” he needs? Scholarships, facilities, salary, and help with discipline? Not having someone video answers that….

Yes, there are coaching issues but it is not just coaching, IMHO.

if only we had a state of the art practice facilty...........

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Not one bit surprised by this. Kind of disappointed. UND once again hit the......

download.jpeg

This is very disappointing.  What happens if there is regression from last fall?  Looking at this fall's schedule it is not hard to imagine UND getting off to a less than "good" start.  Which of the first 5 games would UND be favored in today?

@Nebraska

Northern Iowa

@Northern Arizona

@Southern Illinois

Missouri State

4 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

This is very disappointing.  What happens if there is regression from last fall?  Looking at this fall's schedule it is not hard to imagine UND getting off to a less than "good" start.  Which of the first 5 games would UND be favored in today?

@Nebraska

Northern Iowa

@Northern Arizona

@Southern Illinois

Missouri State

all of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

day by day

• Upvote 1

ooooof......

Just when the football program needed an invigorating cold shower and some awakening... it settles for adding a bit more tepid water to the already lukewarm bath....

I thought the worst call all year was going for it on 4th.... but punting here isnt much better.

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND just extended a coach coming off a 5-6 losing season….

This program/athletic department is an embarrassment. Pathetic. Not impressed by this move. 

I am often wrong but this may be symbolic for recruiting purposes.  Rarely ever does a coach go into the last year of contract anymore. I still feel he has 1-2 years left of coaching

• Upvote 2

I would really like to hear Chaves answer the question of why Bubba was extended. What in gods name are we doing extending a coach who has just come off a 5-6 season and has a 47-40 career record and has 2 YEARS REMAINING ON HIS CURRENT CONTRACT!

By the way I like Bubba and think we should keep him this year. I just have no idea what the rush was to extend him.  Whomever is Bubbas agent must be a heck of a salesman.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

I am often wrong but this may be symbolic for recruiting purposes.  Rarely ever does a coach go into the last year of contract anymore. I still feel he has 1-2 years left of coaching

Do you really think UND can afford to buy out 2-3 years remaining on the contract?   Chaves won't do it, no way.

I'm very curious about what Bubba will be paid under this deal.   I'd assume there are pay increases along the way.

I do agree that this contract was extended due to recruiting issues, but I'm still thinking they could have waited.

12 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

Do you really think UND can afford to buy out 2-3 years remaining on the contract?   Chaves won't do it, no way.

I'm very curious about what Bubba will be paid under this deal.   I'd assume there are pay increases along the way.

I do agree that this contract was extended due to recruiting issues, but I'm still thinking they could have waited.

Same old $10k per year raise