SiouxSports.com Forum

Remainder of 2020 Spring Season and Potential Playoffs.

Midwestern Hawk

57 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Then expand on it...

Lets just say I might work in a health care facility that has several hundred staff vaccinated.  Those staff are tested weekly to a couple times a week.  Those who are vaccinated are not testing positive.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Lets just say I might work in a health care facility that has several hundred staff vaccinated.  Those staff are tested weekly to a couple times a week.  Those who are vaccinated are not testing positive.  

Thanks for expanding. 

19 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

But there are cases of vaccinated testing positive?  That is the concerning part to me is that if a single positive kills a game, even after vaccination what keeps it going?  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

3 because I caught a cold.  3 because the rapid tests are quick, easy, made available at my work, and make me more comfortable visiting grandma.

Is grandma vaccinated too?

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

She is.  I'm not fully vaccinated.  That puts it at about a 1/20 chance.  Not high, but high enough to spend 30 seconds getting tested before seeing her.

This is the part (or at least one part) I don’t understand.  If grandma is fully vaccinated, what is the danger to grandma?   

Just now, Siouxphan27 said:

This is the part (or at least one part) I don’t understand.  If grandma is fully vaccinated, what is the danger to grandma?   

Vaccine is 95% effective.  For 5%, I can spend 30 seconds getting tested.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

She is.  I'm not fully vaccinated.  That puts it at about a 1/20 chance.  Not high, but high enough to spend 30 seconds getting tested before seeing her.

You do you. That's your prerogative and you have every right to get tested daily. Just know you'll never ever get to zero Covid risk. This mentality  unfortunately will cause this pandemic to never end...until we get the next one. We want to follow the "science" except on the efficacy in the prevention of serious illness and death if you're vaccinated. Car accidents and lightening strikes are as much of a risk.

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Vaccine is 95% effective.  For 5%, I can spend 30 seconds getting tested.

OK I see what you’re saying.  

but if that’s going to be the approach, what is the endgame?  Will they ever open up nursing homes entirely again, for example?  Just today I got word that they’re shutting down the nursing home where my father is because one staff member tested positive this morning. 
so it’s a Happy effing Easter to anyone who wanted to go visit their family member on Sunday

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that there won’t be much in the way of legit statistical analysis on covid because it would reveal some unsavory things about our leaders and the directives and advice they’ve been giving.

No doubt about that. 

How about if we start with COVID infection may reoccur, so vaccine is still needed?  

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

You do you. That's your prerogative and you have every right to get tested daily. Just know you'll never ever get to zero Covid risk. This mentality  unfortunately will cause this pandemic to never end...until we get the next one. We want to follow the "science" except on the the efficacy in the prevention of serious illness and death if you're vaccinated. Car accidents and lightening strikes are as much of a risk.

Agreed.  I wear a seat belt, drive defensively, and don't golf in thunderstorms.  I can reduce risk for this too.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

but if that’s going to be the approach, what is the endgame?  Will they ever open up nursing homes entirely again, for example?  Just today I got word that they’re shutting down the nursing home where my father is because one staff member tested positive this morning. 
so it’s a Happy effing Easter to anyone who wanted to go visit their family member on Sunday

Sorry to hear that.  

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Agreed.  I wear a seat belt, drive defensively, and don't golf in thunderstorms.  I can reduce risk for this too.

Hopefully with the jump in STDs during pandemic you got that risk covered too....no pun intended.

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Dumb question:

Person gets the vaccine. They are not exposed (no Covid). But they get tested. What will test come back as? Will the vaccine fool a test? 

The answer is 

Yes

No

Maybe

---depends upon who you ask and may also depend on the day of the week and the time of day.

5 hours ago, Big Green said:

SDSU would still need to lose to USD for us to get the Autobid. SDSU would have one more win than UND.

Pretty sure we still get in with only 1 loss.

Agree that we get in at 4 - 1.  Missouri state lost several games last fall and that likely keeps them out, and I think three valley teams could get in.  Getting in at 4 - 2 would probably require sdsu and missouri state to lose one more game, which could happen.

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I bet if you show up in scrubs, with a mask, and face shield they'll assume you are one of the employees and let you in. 

In all seriousness, that's a huge bummer for the old folks. They've probably been looking forward to this Easter more than most years.

I thought we had to get to 6 games to qualify for the playoffs so we got to get one of these last two games in to meet the criteria. Or are they just allow in any number of games to qualify for the playoffs. I wonder why now they just don't go ahead get the teams vaccinated with the one shot since most of the country has opened up getting vaccinating to everyone. This would end worry about covid because the teams would be as immune as possible and they wouldn't have to worry about testing anymore  or contact tracing.  I would think they could get this all done your only talking about between 5 to 10, 000 shots  across the country for the football teams this spring.

7 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Simply question....why??

Maybe you should take your own advice......and you should do you. :D  He never said anybody should do anything or recommended anybody do anything. All he did was answer a question with what his experience told him about testing positive when already having the vaccine.

Let's talk football. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I thought we had to get to 6 games to qualify for the playoffs so we got to get one of these last two games in to meet the criteria. Or are they just allow in any number of games to qualify for the playoffs. I wonder why now they just don't go ahead get the teams vaccinated with the one shot since most of the country has opened up getting vaccinating to everyone. This would end worry about covid because the teams would be as immune as possible and they wouldn't have to worry about testing anymore  or contact tracing.  I would think they could get this all done your only talking about between 5 to 10, 000 shots  across the country for the football teams this spring.

I think to make the playoffs you had to play at least 4 games not 6.

17 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

3 because I caught a cold.  

The cold going around is a real < bleep >. I have it. I thought I'd caught "the ol' one-niner" but tested negative.

It starts out sinus, mimicking allergies, and then all the drainage makes your throat so messed up you start to cough and in my case I coughed myself a case of bronchitis that got infected. (My mucus had every shade of green from NMU to UND to NDSU to BSU.) 

• Upvote 1