SiouxSports.com Forum

Remainder of 2020 Spring Season and Potential Playoffs.

Midwestern Hawk

5 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I see that Southern Illinois has added a game against SELA on April 17th.  I really wish UND could've found a way to get a game this weekend.  Maybe the tried, but I hadn't heard any rumors of them trying.  

Me too.

I haven't heard though are we cleared to play and practice?

2 hours ago, UND Fan said:

I believe they started practicing on Monday.

Since just started practice back up  don’t think it would have been wise to have a game this weekend after they had to shut down practice for a while, would have certainly been rusty with just a few days of practice. The only way it would have benefited us is if our last game gets cancelled. Otherwise if we win that last game we should be in. Some people are concerned about wear and tear on the bodies, so one less game in this case may not be that bad of a thing. 

So today’s Fargo paper, ? Sports writer Kolpack?, had some interesting comments about college football and COVID...... he said JuiceU’s Saturday afternoon game is still on but they will not know the for sure until Friday afternoon when players’ tests come back. Also, ? no college homecomings until the State of ND opens college stadiums to 100% (really?). 

I do not know how to do a link but I am SO ready for this to be OVER.

1 hour ago, Mama Sue said:

So today’s Fargo paper, ? Sports writer Kolpack?, had some interesting comments about college football and COVID...... he said JuiceU’s Saturday afternoon game is still on but they will not know the for sure until Friday afternoon when players’ tests come back. Also, ? no college homecomings until the State of ND opens college stadiums to 100% (really?). 

I do not know how to do a link but I am SO ready for this to be OVER.

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/6975134-Kolpack-At-some-point-we-gotta-stop-living-like-this

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

MEAC isn't going to use their auto-bid after all.

So the at large bids are back to 6

So one more playoff spot opens up right? Just give it to UNI now or wait till they lose to SU and give it to them?!?

• Upvote 3

Looking at playoff  situation.. I think Missouri State is out of contention no matter what happens with games this weekend unless MVFC gets 4 teams in.    Even if we lose we would have 2 losses but we beat 3 ranked teams and SDSU was highly ranked at time.     Missouri State would of played  only the bison and not played  UND or SDSU and they   only beat 2 ranked teams(both of which not ranked high  ) So Missouri state will have a piece of conference title with 1 loss but an overall record of 5 wins  and 4  losses and be left out of playoffs. Am I  reading that right?  If i am we should be in win or lose provided   3 teams get in from MVFC.   Lets  just go win  

If we lose it might be hard to give UND a spot in the playoffs when we haven't won in 5 weeks and are riding a two game losing streak.  SDSU losing probably helps us as we would have a clear advantage over them.

I think it's unlikely missouri state gets in but not out of the question if UND and SDSU both lose.

Reading Izzo's tweet, per Mike Kern, they are already making the NDSU/SDSU game the title game for the auto bid. UND will not receive it ... even with 1 loss and a head to head win over SDSU. If SDSU wins, they get it because they would be considered to have a better win against a common opponent; not sure how that is more important than head to head. What a joke!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Reading Izzo's tweet, per Mike Kern, they are already making the NDSU/SDSU game the title game for the auto bid. UND will not receive it ... even with 1 loss and a head to head win over SDSU. If SDSU wins, they get it because they would be considered to have a better win against a common opponent; not sure how that is more important than head to head. What a joke!

It’s the 3 way tiebreak rule for the autobid. If Mo St wasn’t in the mix, we get it over the head to head. But because SDSU, UND, and Mo St didn’t all play each other, that is what they go by. 

Who cares about the autobid  If we win, we get a share of the conference title and are in the playoffs.  That’s what really matters. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It’s the 3 way tiebreak rule for the autobid. If Mo St wasn’t in the mix, we get it over the head to head. But because SDSU, UND, and Mo St didn’t all play each other, that is what they go by. 

Who cares about the autobid  If we win, we get a share of the conference title and are in the playoffs.  That’s what really matters. 

Doesn't this still heavily impact seedings?

Well, like it or not, a good spring season and some of the best D1 football we have seen at UND comes down to this weekend. Can't just eek out a win. This is an opportunity to make a statement going into the playoffs.

Lose, and this is Idaho State all over again. We will almost definitely be out of the field at 4-2 with a Youngstown loss.

Show up to play unprepared on the road like we were at Nicholls and the season is over. I still can't believe how unmotivated the team looked in this game. Playoffs, and nobody looked like they wanted to be there. No energy, no emotion. Can't happen again.

Despite being on the road, we need the team that beat SIU and SDSU. Hard nosed and resilient. I hope Schuster has been working on his deep connections to open up some more running room for Otis. I hope the coaches plan to use Otis more effectively than they did against NDSU. I hope Maag finally steps up and plays to his size to take over a game.

The tools are there, but this team needs to show up prepared and use them.

The way I see it:

Missouri State is in

UND is in with a win and out with a loss.

NDSU is out with a loss, in with a win

SDSU will likely be in either way, which seems ridiculous, but as has been pointed out on twitter the committee will not look at SDSU having lost to UND. They will look at the records were both UND and SDSU lost to NDSU, then they will look at SDSU losing to UND, vs UND losing to Youngstown. Seems stupid, but it is what it is. UND controls their own destiny. Don't just win .... stomp them!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Well, like it or not, a good spring season and some of the best D1 football we have seen at UND comes down to this weekend. Can't just eek out a win. This is an opportunity to make a statement going into the playoffs.

Lose, and this is Idaho State all over again. We will almost definitely be out of the field at 4-2 with a Youngstown loss.

Show up to play unprepared on the road like we were at Nicholls and the season is over. I still can't believe how unmotivated the team looked in this game. Playoffs, and nobody looked like they wanted to be there. No energy, no emotion. Can't happen again.

Despite being on the road, we need the team that beat SIU and SDSU. Hard nosed and resilient. I hope Schuster has been working on his deep connections to open up some more running room for Otis. I hope the coaches plan to use Otis more effectively than they did against NDSU. I hope Maag finally steps up and plays to his size to take over a game.

The way I see it:

Missouri State is in

SDSU will likely be in either way, which seems ridiculous, but as has been pointed out on twitter the committee will not look at SDSU having lost to UND. They will look at the records were both UND and SDSU lost to NDSU, then they will look at SDSU losing to UND, vs UND losing to Youngstown. Seems stupid, but it is what it is. UND controls their own destiny. Don't just win .... stomp them!

I'll make an edit to this. NDSU would likely be in with a loss because they are the Bison. If SDSU wins, and UND wins, then you could potentially have 4 valley teams in.

If NDSU wins, and UND wins, that could push SDSU out altogether.

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The committee looks at any fall games played also.
You see a 5-1 MoState; the committee sees a 5-4 MoState.

That will keep MoState out. 

fair point! I wasn't even thinking about the fall. In my mind, it shouldn't count, nor should the Bison win again Central Arkansas, but I'm not the committee.

I get it is all considered the same season, but it sure doesn't seem like it, or play like it. I have a feeling someone is going to get screwed with the playoffs, I just hope it isn't us. UND just needs to win, and preferably win big!

13 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Doesn't this still heavily impact seedings?

Nope.  Once the job of seeding teams begins, the committee doesn't care about automatic qualifiers vs. at-large bids. Besides, there are only four seeds this year.

47 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

The way I see it:

Missouri State is in

Missouri State is on the outside of the bubble and needs a lot of help. The cancelling of the MSU/UND game was a disaster for their hopes.

UND is seeded with a win(likely #4), and probably on the inside of the bubble with a loss.*

NDSU is seeded with a win(likely #2), and unseeded with a loss.

SDSU is seeded with a win(likely #2/3), and probably on the inside of the bubble with a loss.

80% chance UND, SDSU & NDSU are all in the field no matter Saturday's results. 99% chance all three are in the field with a UND win. Only scenario where UND wins and DOESN'T get a seed is if the NDSU/SDSU game gets cancelled. Then it gets tricky for the committee. Likely NDSU at 2, SDSU at 3 or 4, and UND at 5 and unseeded. But it's also possible it could go the other way with UND & SDSU; there are good arguments both ways.

*A UND loss on Saturday would be really, REALLY bad. The reason is because YSU has given up on winning this season and has been treating the remaining games as experiments. They've been playing kids that have never seen the field before, and they've been regularly moving players to new positions to see how they do at them. The team's priority is clearly focused on next season, not this one. I don't care how UND plays on Saturday, they should still win by two or three scores while sleepwalking.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

Nope.  Once the job of seeding teams begins, the committee doesn't care about automatic qualifiers vs. at-large bids. Besides, there are only four seeds this year.

Missouri State is on the outside of the bubble and needs a lot of help. The cancelling of the MSU/UND game was a disaster for their hopes.

UND is seeded with a win(likely #4), and probably on the inside of the bubble with a loss.*

SDSU is seeded with a win(likely #2/3), and probably on the inside of the bubble with a loss.

80% chance UND, SDSU & NDSU are all in the field no matter Saturday's results. 99% chance all three are in the field with a UND win.

*A UND loss on Saturday would be really, REALLY bad. The reason is because YSU has given up on winning this season and has been treating the remaining games as experiments. They've been playing kids that have never seen the field before, and they've been regularly moving players to new positions to see how they do at them. The team's priority is clearly focused on next season, not this one. I don't care how UND plays on Saturday, they should still win by two or three scores while sleepwalking.

Great write up. I had forgotten that the fall games played into this as well. 

Just glad to be talking football again after a long month!

23 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

80% chance UND, SDSU & NDSU are all in the field no matter Saturday's results. 99% chance all three are in the field with a UND win. Only scenario where UND wins and DOESN'T get a seed is if the NDSU/SDSU game gets cancelled. Then it gets tricky for the committee. Likely NDSU at 2, SDSU at 3 or 4, and UND at 5 and unseeded. But it's also possible it could go the other way with UND & SDSU; there are good arguments both ways.

Good points all around.