SiouxSports.com Forum

Remainder of 2020 Spring Season and Potential Playoffs.

Midwestern Hawk

I think the most important angle to playoffs is UND needs to play Youngstown game and win. If that happens they are in no matter what happens in NDSU/SDSU game. If they weren’t in, the playoff committee would lose all credibility. 

26 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

FCS Spring Bracketology 8.0 — Playoff Predictions (4-5-2021) - HERO Sports News

So we know UND has to beat Youngstown. So if they do and SDSU wins or loses how would UND be left out? They would 1) have a better record then one of the teams and 2) have the win over SDSU. Whoever loses this game wouldn't that be the one out of the playoffs? 

That bracketology was done before the SDSU-USD cancellation. Now SDSU would be 4-2 with a loss to NDSU and I think it would be very hard to put a 4-2 SDSU team that UND beat ahead of a 5-1 UND team (assuming UND beats Youngstown).

I usually agree with Herder, but I thought this was a bad take. The committee has always tended to favor the MVFC and take them over over teams when it came to bubble teams. That is quite the fall from grace to go from the #2 ranked team to the last team to sneak in all because of one loss the the possible best team in the nation and a couple covid cancellations......

10 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

That bracketology was done before the SDSU-USD cancellation. Now SDSU would be 4-2 with a loss to NDSU and I think it would be very hard to put a 4-2 SDSU team that UND beat ahead of a 5-1 UND team (assuming UND beats Youngstown).

Am I missing something? If SDSU beats NDSU and UND beats Youngstown wouldn't we be the conference champions and get the automatic qualifier?

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, DL Sioux said:

Am I missing something? If SDSU beats NDSU and UND beats Youngstown wouldn't we be the conference champions and get the automatic qualifier?

Wait, isn’t Missouri State also 4 - 1 in the conference? Understand they have played a ‘light’ schedule, no NDSU, SDSU or UND, but wouldn’t they also be considered to be conference co-champions? (And they did beat mighty UNI :D)

1 hour ago, DL Sioux said:

I was thinking this also. But herder kind of confused me there for a bit. And to say the committee doesn't want  3 in there from the all mighty MVFC is not at all what they have been doing for the last 10 plus years. Even in a pandemic it's still the MVFC. Some way some how the committee will find a way to screw something up.

29 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Wait, isn’t Missouri State also 4 - 1 in the conference? Understand they have played a ‘light’ schedule, no NDSU, SDSU or UND, but wouldn’t they also be considered to be conference co-champions? (And they did beat mighty UNI :D)

I guess they would. They do play Youngstown this weekend so we'll see how that goes. Hope YSU gets the win so they knock MSU out and then the win will hopefully help with them not quitting the season like everyone else is doing.

Craig Haley tweeted that due to imbalanced schedules because of cancellations the MVFC will have multiple champions if they have the same number of conf losses but a different number of conf wins. So then who would the automatic qualifier if its a tie?

6 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Craig Haley tweeted that due to imbalanced schedules because of cancellations the MVFC will have multiple champions if they have the same number of conf losses but a different number of conf wins. So then who would the automatic qualifier if its a tie?

So they are assuming wins?  Stupid.  

7 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Doesn't everyone in this group have just 1 game left? One of NDSU and SDSU is guaranteed to be 5-1 so if MO State or UND were also 5-1 it wouldn't be imbalanced.

image.png.09451718348db37fe606b7248c888400.png

33 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

How many more teams nationally can opt out and there still be a post season?

It's probably hanging by a few threads right now.  However if you think about it, none of the recent opt outs were ever going to make the playoffs, so in that regards it's not affecting the quality of the top teams in the playoffs.  It does suck though that there are less games to get a better picture of how good teams are and where they should be seeded.  On the other hand, people worry about too much wear and tear on the kids, a game or two less than originally scheduled during the regular season could end up being a good thing.  If the JMU, NDSU, SDSU types start having Covid issues and opt out then that is really having a direct impact on what likely would be semi final type teams.  Although while NDSU looked good against us, they haven't really looked that great in other games so definitely not a given they will beat both SDUS and UNI and make the playoffs.  On the other hand they could win the rest and will be the #1 seed. I'd like to get in that Weber bracket.  

15 hours ago, siouxweet said:

I just thought in order for there to be a tournament the field had to be a certain percentage of eligible participating teams?

50% of FCS teams must have opted in to play in order for the NCAA to sponsor a championship.

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

When ( ... if? ... ) we ever get back to football in the fall, will a 1-3 team with a bunch of dinged up players be able to shut down their fall season too? 

I dont see why not lol. Can the NCAA tell you that you MUST play even though you've decided this is best for the players?

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

When ( ... if? ... ) we ever get back to football in the fall, will a 1-3 team with a bunch of dinged up players be able to shut down their fall season too? 

This is exactly how I feel. The teams that are shutting down their seasons are the teams with little to no hope of success. 

16 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

This is exactly how I feel. The teams that are shutting down their seasons are the teams with little to no hope of success. 

Spot on. I think they are looking at it like they got in some good reps but hang it up now for more rest and time to prepare for the fall. If I was running one of those teams, I would have gotten my young guys every rep possible because at that point the season doesn't matter but the reps do.

18 hours ago, GoHawks said:

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-conference-tiebreaker-playoff-auto-bid-bzbz/ 

A little fuzzy when 3 teams are tied and 2 teams have played each other and the others haven't.  Wondering who gets the autobid if UND/SDSU/MO St are all tied.  We have the head to head over SDSU but we didn't play MO St.  And MO St didn't play SDSU.  Does it all go down to the Sagarin ratings?

Regardless of who gets the autobid, if we win next Saturday, we are 5-1 and are likely in the playoffs.

• Like 1